Shure SRH750DJ vs. Ultrasone HFI-580 vs. M-50
Sep 16, 2010 at 10:59 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

rebel7

New Head-Fier
I am currently debating these three phones for my ipod classic. Which would offer me the best and biggest bass, but also the cleanest highs and mids. I listen to a lot of bass driven music, so I don't mind if its shaking my skull. Does the ultrasone surround sound really work? Does the frequency range make a huge difference in sound quality? Driver size too? Thanks.

Sep 17, 2010 at 12:26 AM Post #2 of 5
The SRH-750DJ is going to have a lot more bass then the M50 (check the charts on Headroom's webpage). The mids are also probably going to be a lot better. I imagine they're just as good as the mid-range on the SRH-840. The problem I had with them is that the highs were painfully harsh to my ears. Some people may not have this issue. Strangely enough the bass on the 750 was a bit too much for me, so I stuck with my M50s. The M50's are better for extended listening I think. Other then the bass, nothing will tire your ears out after several hours. I think the M50 will also be a bit more comfortable and is cheaper.

Not sure about the HFI-580, but I'd like to try them someday.

One other headphone worth checking into might be the Denon D2000. They have a lot of bass, but the amount of bass probably can't compare to either of these.

BTW you might find this chart interesting, if you haven't seen it already:

Jan 26, 2011 at 10:10 PM Post #4 of 5

Quote:
Thank you, how do the M-50s sound unamped with just a regular ipod? Can anyone give me insight as to how the HFI-580s sound unamped with an ipod?

I can run my 580's directly from my iPhone 4, and it works fine. If you really want to experience them, you'll need at leeeast a cheap Fiio E5 =] . Oh, and the mids and highs are clear as crystal. Won't lie to you, mids are a bit recessed, but they come forward with burn in. Straight out the box, the 580's have kind of raw bass. It's ridiculously powerful. It rumbles. RUMBLES. As burn in goes, the bass tightens up a bit, but a tweak of the EQ and the rumble is back =]

Users who are viewing this thread

Back