Shure - SRH750DJ Professional Headphones Review
Jan 31, 2010 at 3:26 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 38

swbf2cheater

Headphoneus Supremus
Here is a my review which was also posted on amazon

P1270079.jpg

First off let me say I own the Shure 440 and 840, I am not fond of either of them. I find their sound to be too powerful and harsh, especially their bass. People claim it to be accurate, but how can this be if nearly everyone agrees the Bass on them both is just incredibly powerful and too harsh at times. Thankfully, Shure listened to its buyers and made the SRH750DJ. Out of the box they sound okay, nothing special. However after 50 hours of burn in, everything improved drastically. Like the difference between night and day. This set is geared for listening to music, where as the 440 and 840 are really not meant for that, they are monitors, meant to pick out subtle abnormalities in music track editing, like static and pops and such. The 750DJ is purely geared for musical experience, even though the box says they are monitors, too. Sure they can be used as that, as any headphone set can, but they are a total 180 degree turn from the 840.

P1270076.jpg

They come with extra ear pads, which i am sorry to say right out of the box are incredibly uncomfortable. They are stiff and hard, but after some usage and clamping them onto a box or something for a day or two, they break in and become very comfortable. I was incredibly worried about the circular design of the earcups not fitting my ears. By the looks of things, the cups seemed pretty small in comparison to the 840 and 440...they are smaller, but totally circular but still fully over my ears. The downside to this is that my ears have a fraction of an inch clearance, almost no space left, my ears just fit. They are DJ headphones anyway, really meant to be slung down on your neck and have 1 earcup pressed up against your ear. So I suppose it wasnt meant to support average sized peoples heads and fully cover their ears...either that or i am a freak and my ears are huge, which they dont appear to be.

The 750s are comparable to the Denon D1001. The sound is similar, just bigger and more powerful all around, with MUCH more bass. And I mean it...much more. Enough to melt your face off if you wanted and had the right EQ. The bass is nothing like the 440 or 840, not even remotely. Its clean and beautiful and not at all harsh even on heavy bass tracks. They can handle high outputs of power, but remain easily driven by my sansa fuze without a problem. Doesnt sound as nice through my sansa as it does amped of course, but still, i am incredibly impressed with their ability to sound that nice and powerful via an mp3 player with no amp at all. The 440 and 840 fail miserably with no amp. The 750dj pass with flying colors. The Denons are more comfortable without question. But in the near future I expect the 750djs to become superior after sufficient burn in and usage. My denon D1001 and Shure 440/840 are no good for acoustic jazz or classical. Their soundstage is pretty awful for those genres of music. However, the 750DJs can power through nearly every type of genre i toss at it and still sound just awesome. This is something anyone with the above models in their inventory will recognize immediately. "Whoa, they sound great with my Superman the Movie soundtrack!!!" AWESOME! While the soundstage is just not as broad as the 840, is improved on the 440 and flat out KO'ed the Denon d1001. Thats not even fair to compare.

What bothers me is this fetish with stock cables and the bayonet locker. Like the 440 and 840, the cable is unique and twist-locks into place for security. I made a mistake in buying a 3.5mm to 3.5mm mini to mini 3 foot cable of my own to use instead of its stock coiled cable. Turns out its a requires a 2.5mm, not a standard mini. Back to radio shack i suppose, bothersome but understandable.

The headband is likely going to be modded very soon. It offers almost no support at all, and has s strange texture on the fabric. I've a buzz cut hairstyle and it kind of grinds on my head, and its really annoying. The clamp factor is pretty good, meaning they dont vice grip your head like some other headphones...coughcough 440/840,es7coughcough...They are somewhat heavy, but not the heaviest ive used.
P1270080.jpg

The sound isolation is pretty good, id say 40% reduction. They tend to get hot, after all they are full sized over the ears and closed backs...you cannot avoid this.

Overall they are a fantastic buy. HIGHLY recommended if you want to buy via Shure. In my humbled opinion, the Shure 750DJ are an overall better choice for the budget of $100-150. The Denon D1001 was king of closed backs for around $100-150, now hail the new king SRH750dj!!! live long, and prosper!

*beams up and plays star trek theme credits song

Feb 5, 2010 at 8:26 AM Post #2 of 38
lol headphone burn-in is a myth. how do you know it sounded better? you actually have a second brand new pair to compare with? it's all placebo effect. i've even tested this with several pairs of headphones.

anyway, these are pretty nice headphones. i think the audio technica ath-m50 is basically a much improved version of these in terms of clarity across the entire spectrum, and are in the same price range.

Feb 5, 2010 at 8:37 AM Post #4 of 38
Quote:

Originally Posted by AFK /img/forum/go_quote.gif
lol headphone burn-in is a myth. how do you know it sounded better? you actually have a second brand new pair to compare with? it's all placebo effect. i've even tested this with several pairs of headphones.

anyway, these are pretty nice headphones. i think the audio technica ath-m50 is basically a much improved version of these in terms of clarity across the entire spectrum, and are in the same price range.

If there is a placebo that makes my headphones sound better, I'll take it! It's free too? If you believe in it, all the more power to ya. And trust me this applies to a lot of things. My aunt just had a baby the other month, and she was very happy... then I told her it was eventually going to die. Sheeesh! It's like, how can you not know that, lady?!? All I know is that's the last time I mention that!

Oh, and the 750DJ are fun cans. If you are on the bridge about Denon D1001, Shure 750DJ and ATH-M50 buy them all and see for yourself. You will probably keep the Ultrasones the tooth fairy slipped under your pillow
tongue.gif
Truth be told, that's what happened to me!

Quote:

Originally Posted by sar /img/forum/go_quote.gif
which ones (audio technica ath-m50 or the Shure - SRH750DJ) do you guys think are better for metal/rock, along with good isolating?

From my personal preferences... listening to a little bit of metallica... yet still enjoying the Electronic genre the most... and loving the Ultrasones the most... I picked the M50 for Metallica. This is just my view, and given your limited info on listening prefernces and my lack in taste for rock as a favorite genre, what I say should (in your case) be taken with some salt. If you give me more info, I'll gladly expand on my preferences and opinions of the headphones, but I recommend you start your own thread. I don't like thread high-jacking, when avoidable. Thanks
smily_headphones1.gif

Feb 5, 2010 at 8:56 AM Post #5 of 38
Quote:

Originally Posted by AFK /img/forum/go_quote.gif

uh, headphone burn in is not a myth, actually. It goes from sounding like a flat tin can to sounding deep and rich. Responsiveness remains the same and no amount of burn in will change it, but the literal sound produced can drastically change. This is not debatable, anyone saying otherwise is trolling.
The most drastic change after a short burn in was the ATH-es7. Out of the box its the same as poking a hole into a soup can and setting up near a loud speaker, after a few hours, the sound produced turns into something great, 100+ hours after that and you fully broke the drivers in, the wires transmit the sound more efficiently, and many other things actually...physically happen after burn in.

when you buy a new car, your seats are stiff and hard, after a few sits they break in physically. Is the material any different after the break in? Not really, no. But they've learned how to be used. Headphones are the same way. Burn in being a myth is actually the real myth

Having said that, for rock I'd go with the m-50 without question. But the m-50 isnt well rounded, and neither is the D1k. The 750dj is well rounded and can play every genre nicely. Also, the bass crushes the competition, deep and rich. Not bloated or overpowered. Very nice. Wish they were softer and had a pad on the band though.

Feb 5, 2010 at 10:59 AM Post #6 of 38
Quote:

Originally Posted by HeyItsBattleKid /img/forum/go_quote.gif
From my personal preferences... listening to a little bit of metallica... yet still enjoying the Electronic genre the most... and loving the Ultrasones the most... I picked the M50 for Metallica. This is just my view, and given your limited info on listening prefernces and my lack in taste for rock as a favorite genre, what I say should (in your case) be taken with some salt. If you give me more info, I'll gladly expand on my preferences and opinions of the headphones, but I recommend you start your own thread. I don't like thread high-jacking, when avoidable. Thanks
smily_headphones1.gif

sorry for high-jacking the thread, didnt mean to. i do have a thread:
http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f4/mon...r325is-463269/

if you could just suggest any information about the headphones mentioned, or suggest any other headphones. thanks a lot.

Feb 5, 2010 at 11:14 AM Post #7 of 38
how does the bass compare to the K518?

just the bass, not any other points of sound. do they have deeper lows? better kick? richer bass?

Feb 5, 2010 at 12:08 PM Post #8 of 38
Quote:

Originally Posted by sar /img/forum/go_quote.gif
sorry for high-jacking the thread, didnt mean to. i do have a thread:
http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f4/mon...r325is-463269/

if you could just suggest any information about the headphones mentioned, or suggest any other headphones. thanks a lot.

Hey, no problem! You didn't do an hijacking so don't worry. It's just easy to get carried away in someones thread so it's best to do some of that in another thread or through PM. And doing all the questions and responding in one thread makes it easier to track all the comments made
icon10.gif

Bed time for me, but I'll get to your post sometime tomorrow afternoon.

Feb 5, 2010 at 8:18 PM Post #9 of 38
Quote:

Originally Posted by z50j /img/forum/go_quote.gif
how does the bass compare to the K518?

just the bass, not any other points of sound. do they have deeper lows? better kick? richer bass?

I've never used the K518, but as i said i found the 750DJ to be much nicer than the Shure 440 in every way, and have better bass than the Shure 840. The highs and mids on the 840 are clearly nicer, the bass is more powerful but its harsh.

The 750djs are comparable to the Denon d1001, which are considered the best closed backs for around 100-150$ The 750s are better IMO.

Feb 5, 2010 at 8:35 PM Post #10 of 38
Sorry...I don't agree that the bass on the 840 is too powerful and harsh. I find my 840 do classical music very well for a closed phone... chamber music and full orchestral.
I'll take a pass on the 750DJ.
I'll stick to Denons for a closed musical headphone.

Feb 11, 2010 at 5:58 AM Post #13 of 38
I just picked up the 750Djs, my first full size cans
smily_headphones1.gif

Overall, I love the sound signature. It really reminds me of my Sennheiser IE7, just with more soundstage and more bass, which I assume is a result of it being a full can instead of an IEM. And for $125 CAD, not a bad deal at all. Good start to full cans. Now I need an amp to complete my setup.

Feb 11, 2010 at 7:03 PM Post #14 of 38
Quote:

Originally Posted by DeusInvictus7 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I just picked up the 750Djs, my first full size cans
smily_headphones1.gif

Overall, I love the sound signature. It really reminds me of my Sennheiser IE7, just with more soundstage and more bass, which I assume is a result of it being a full can instead of an IEM. And for $125 CAD, not a bad deal at all. Good start to full cans. Now I need an amp to complete my setup.

are they comfortable to wear? also, they do sound good without an amp, don't they? or do you NEED an amp?

Feb 11, 2010 at 7:59 PM Post #15 of 38
Quote:

Originally Posted by Palpatine /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Sorry...I don't agree that the bass on the 840 is too powerful and harsh. I find my 840 do classical music very well for a closed phone... chamber music and full orchestral...

I totally agree. Interesting review swbf2cheater, thanks for that, just a bit puzzling on the bass part.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back