Shure - SRH750DJ Professional Headphones Review
Feb 11, 2010 at 8:01 PM Post #16 of 38
I found that my old SRH840's bass changed a lot depending on my amp options.

For example, with my old Head-direct EF1, I felt that the bass was light no matter what tubes I used for it... with WA6, I thought it was almost on the too heavy side.

Feb 12, 2010 at 4:36 AM Post #18 of 38
Quote:

Originally Posted by sar /img/forum/go_quote.gif
are they comfortable to wear? also, they do sound good without an amp, don't they? or do you NEED an amp?

For comfort, the headband seems a bit heavy and there really isn't that much cushion, but seeing as its my first set of full cans ever, I don't really know what to expect. I forget they are there after about 30 minutes of listening though.

And they sound awesome without an amp. I use the Acoustic EQ on my Macbook and iPhone, and its just lovely. I plan on getting an amp sometime in the near future, but these phones certainly do not need it.

Feb 12, 2010 at 5:10 PM Post #19 of 38
Quote:

Originally Posted by HeyItsBattleKid /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If there is a placebo that makes my headphones sound better, I'll take it! It's free too? If you believe in it, all the more power to ya. And trust me this applies to a lot of things. My aunt just had a baby the other month, and she was very happy... then I told her it was eventually going to die. Sheeesh! It's like, how can you not know that, lady?!? All I know is that's the last time I mention that!

Worst burn in analogy... ever!

Feb 13, 2010 at 8:43 PM Post #20 of 38
Great review. This has made me think about upping my budget so I can get some of these.

What type of music did you test these headphones out on? What music do you think is best suited for them?

Feb 13, 2010 at 9:15 PM Post #21 of 38
Quote:

Originally Posted by dclancy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Worst burn in analogy... ever!

That's probably why it wasn't an analogy. To the point, I absolutely hate when people try to ruin something for someone else, by saying, "You know what..." (lol, that's Droopy Dog for ya too!) If a placebo works just like the real thing, and I don't know that, give me the placebo then. It's like ruining a great movie for someone.

And just for reference, here is the original post I had commented on:
Quote:

Originally Posted by AFK /img/forum/go_quote.gif
lol headphone burn-in is a myth. how do you know it sounded better? you actually have a second brand new pair to compare with? it's all placebo effect. i've even tested this with several pairs of headphones.

anyway, these are pretty nice headphones. i think the audio technica ath-m50 is basically a much improved version of these in terms of clarity across the entire spectrum, and are in the same price range.

Feb 13, 2010 at 11:42 PM Post #22 of 38
Yea, unfortunately people who say burn in is a myth fail the mp3 birate test nearly every time I ask them to take it. So they simply cannot hear the differences from out of box to fully burn in headphones...why bother post such nonsense? What you dont realize is that when people test burn in they are actually testing sonic signatures and how they change, not how they sound to your ears.

You cannot deny that out of the box some headphones sound like crap, tinny, echoed, distant. Then after burn in they sound amazing. Anyone with an ATH-ES7 ( as thats my pick for the most drastic change in headphones, EVER!) would be able to see it. You ever notice people testing this myth on youtube are mostly using crappy old headphones? lol Outside of the wires and driving transferring electricity more efficiently, there are differences in the backgrounds of the low and extremely highs.
I'd bet my life those who say burn in is a myth cannot hear it. If you cannot tell the difference between 128 and 320, 320 to loseless, which people who say burn in isnt real appear to not be able to do...then you shouldn't bother posting because most of us think you uncredible and a troll at the forums
biggrin.gif

( not talking about anyone specifically or that anyone here has said this, just saying in general)
BACK TO THE 750s

The pads are stiff as a board, however i find it also strange to say that due to the design and headband, they are not clamping and remain comfy.

Feb 13, 2010 at 11:56 PM Post #23 of 38
Quote:

Originally Posted by swbf2cheater /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yea, unfortunately people who say burn in is a myth fail the mp3 birate test nearly every time I ask them to take it. So they simply cannot hear the differences from out of box to fully burn in headphones...why bother post such nonsense? What you dont realize is that when people test burn in they are actually testing sonic signatures and how they change, not how they sound to your ears.

You cannot deny that out of the box some headphones sound like crap, tinny, echoed, distant. Then after burn in they sound amazing. Anyone with an ATH-ES7 ( as thats my pick for the most drastic change in headphones, EVER!) would be able to see it. You ever notice people testing this myth on youtube are mostly using crappy old headphones? lol Outside of the wires and driving transferring electricity more efficiently, there are differences in the backgrounds of the low and extremely highs.
I'd bet my life those who say burn in is a myth cannot hear it. If you cannot tell the difference between 128 and 320, 320 to loseless, which people who say burn in isnt real appear to not be able to do...then you shouldn't bother posting because most of us think you uncredible and a troll at the forums
biggrin.gif

( not talking about anyone specifically or that anyone here has said this, just saying in general)
BACK TO THE 750s

The pads are stiff as a board, however i find it also strange to say that due to the design and headband, they are not clamping and remain comfy.

I can agree with you on that. I personally prefer to remain neutral on the whole burn in. I do burn in my headphones anyways, but I guess I'm not a follower much. Regardless of the absolute truth of the matter, I don't see how I benefit from knowing the truth, if I feel I perceive a distinguishable difference.

Throughout the movie "The Others", I thought that they were being haunted by dead people. Had someone told me it wasn't exactly as it seemed, and to so far in say that it was all just a dream the whole time, I wouldn't have enjoyed the movie nearly as much. Whether or not what I said is true, it has basically polluted my mind with something that detracts from my watching experience. I think that most people ******* hate people who don't put spoiler alerts in their reviews of movies. This may just be me, but I would find it fun observing my headphones sound change; waiting for them to become more refined and fun to listen to. I would never take that joy away from someone else. /rant

Any who, yes, the pads are still and the clamping isn't that forceful, which ends up being quite comfy
biggrin.gif
I think the stiffness of the pads help with the characteristics of the phone's bass.

Feb 17, 2010 at 4:15 PM Post #24 of 38
Just wanted to contribute here on how these headphones look on a person's head, since I know many people have asked that question. Here's a link I found on a Korean web site (kind of their version of Head-fi) where they review this with pics... you can find the pics about 1/3rd of the way down the page.

http://goldenears.net/board/PT_UserReview/174204

Mar 1, 2010 at 10:40 PM Post #26 of 38
Quote:

Originally Posted by AFK /img/forum/go_quote.gif
lol headphone burn-in is a myth. how do you know it sounded better? you actually have a second brand new pair to compare with? it's all placebo effect. i've even tested this with several pairs of headphones.

anyway, these are pretty nice headphones. i think the audio technica ath-m50 is basically a much improved version of these in terms of clarity across the entire spectrum, and are in the same price range.

Burn-in is real, you just aren't listening intently enough to notice it.

Back to the 750's, I'm a bit surprised that you say the 440 has lots of bass? I have tried two different 440s and they both had very weak, anemic bass. Do the 750's really have lots of bass? Compared to the M50, do they have more, or less bass?

Mar 1, 2010 at 10:58 PM Post #27 of 38
They have less bass than the M50s however the 750s bass is much nicer IMO. anyone else feel the m50s are bloated besides me?

Anywho, the 750s are much more well rounded than the m50s.

also, those who say burn in is a myth can't hear well enough to judge it. If you can't hear the difference between new out of box headphones and the same set burnt in, you are not credible and nobody should listen to you ( not anyone specifically, just saying in general that a persons hearing must be sub par compared to NORMAL people )

Apr 8, 2010 at 11:26 PM Post #30 of 38
I find my M50's sound muddy compared to the SRH750DJ's, and I can't really enjoy the M50's any longer. The SRH750DJ's are excellent - well worth the price (I got mine from Amazon for $75.00 delivered, too bad the sale finished).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back