Shure SRH440 vs Monoprice MEP-839/Kicker HP541 with different pads, which is better?
Sep 10, 2011 at 9:42 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

shakgriig

New Head-Fier
I am looking for cheaper headphones that are comfortable with large pads, I can't stand things pressing on my ears, and also with very low sound leakage so not to disturb people in the same room as me that are reading.

I have narrowed down my choice to the SRH440 and the Monoprice/Kicker headphones but I am not sure which to choose.

I am also wondering what pads would work on the Monoprice, I was thinking to use the SRH440, SRH840 or ATH-M50 pads, and would using them increase sound leakage. Also if the Monoprice is the best choice how do I go about changing the pads.

Sep 10, 2011 at 10:04 PM Post #2 of 12
If you want a ton of bass, get the Kicker HP541. If you want a more balanced signature, get the SRH-440. None of these headphones are very comfortable at all to me. The Kicker is barely enough to cover your ears. The pads are small. The SRH-240 and M50 pads fit. The M50 pads are not very secure, but stay on just fine. They're $9 each side.

If you don't want a bass heavy headphone, it's hard to suggest the Monoprice.

Sep 10, 2011 at 10:15 PM Post #3 of 12
Being bass heavy doesn't matter to me I just want to to be comfortable enough to wear them for hours and not have be be able to hear what I am listening to. Do the 440 or 840 pads fit on the Kickers?

Sep 10, 2011 at 10:18 PM Post #4 of 12
Get the SRH400s. Having both the 440s are better cans. Even in the bass department in my opinion as long as you get the 840 pads. The kickers/MHP cans are fine if you just want something to listen to and don't care if it gets destroyed, the 440s are far and away a superior set of cans.

Sep 10, 2011 at 10:25 PM Post #5 of 12

Quote:
Get the SRH400s. Having both the 440s are better cans. Even in the bass department in my opinion as long as you get the 840 pads. The kickers/MHP cans are fine if you just want something to listen to and don't care if it gets destroyed, the 440s are far and away a superior set of cans.

How is the leakage on them with stock and 840 pads?

Sep 10, 2011 at 10:36 PM Post #6 of 12
Either way they're good for keeping the sound in your skull, they're better with the 840 pads and they're also much more comfortable. Seriously you won't regret a set of the 440s, they're great cans, neutral and sound fantastic. Plus the cord is replaceable should you want a straight cord, or if you break it. They were my gateway can and I don't regret the purchase at all.

Nov 4, 2011 at 7:22 PM Post #9 of 12
It's probably late in the game.. Ah.. I wish I'd seen this thread earlier.

Well, unless you've already bought the T-400.. or if you just want some more good advice on headphones.

The Shure SRH440's are fantastic value for the money. Very neutral and natural sounding and balanced headphones. They have a tad coloration in the upper midrange and Hi's, but nothing close to harsh nor Sibilant (unless you EQ them) - they're not the most portable cans out there (as advertised, they're designed for the home and studio for monitoring), nevertheless, they're easily driven off of a portable player.. but of course, will reach the full potential when amped (try fiio E-11 with the extra bass boost)  Here's the thing though, change the stock ear pads with the SRH840's, which are beefier, thicker and softer and definitely more comfortable. They will enclose your ear all around and provide a fairly good seal and isolation. Actually, one of the better isolating cans I've had.   It's $20.00 for the pads, and trust me, best $20 I've spent in years.  Also, if you have additional $10 to spare, purchase the straight cable as opposed to the coiled one. Coiled is nice and sturdy, but, the straight will open the your portable options immensely. 

As for Kicker. Very very nice cans, and definitely a steal for their price. But hey, if you want to save even more, buy the Monoprice version of the 541's. Essentially the same headphones with a different name, and about 2/3 of the price.  They're very punchy and quick and definitely could benefit from a proper break-in. Also, some people argued that replacing the pads helps the sound imaging to balance out overpowering bass and harmonize the Mids and His even more. Though, I'll say this much, sound stage is definitely different than Shure. Shure is wide, spacious and engulfing. The Kicker is warmer sounding and definitely more forward... It pretty much does justice to any music you could through at it whereas Shure would prefer Jazz, Classic and Acoustic.. However, being myself who primarily uses the Shure for Trance music, I can't really say much more.

Also, read this thread.
Very nice headphones presented by a Headfier that really knows his $hit when it comes to quality budget headphones (and Higher end ones as-well. Ask him anything, he'll be glad to help out.)

http://www.head-fi.org/t/571005/the-panasonic-rp-htf600-s-headphones-more-fun-than-the-hd650

Nov 4, 2011 at 7:35 PM Post #10 of 12
I actually did buy the T-400s and found them to sound pretty good but they are definitely made for smaller heads as I found that the auto adjusting head strap tended to pull up on my ears and my girlfriend found them to be very comfortable. After that test I went and bought the 440s and 840s to try them out and I thought the 440s with 840 pads sounded and felt amazing. About a week into testing the headphones though my girlfriend remembered she has a pair of Audio Technica ATH-PRO5 MS headphone I could use. I decided to go with eh PRO5 MS because it was the cheapest option and they were actually pretty decent with 840 pads on them(stock pads were the worst ever). I will probably will get the 440s one day but when I have more money.

Nov 5, 2011 at 1:25 AM Post #11 of 12
Sounds fair enough..

Hey, free Audio Technica is better than paying $60 - $100 for starters. That is if you're into saving money at this point.
Those and the M35's were an option I considered before getting the 440's. However, I hear mixed reviews on those, and with the Pro5MS they're more an on-ear style as opposed to over the ears. Which is to me a deal breaker.. but to each his own.  I will stress this again though, neither are meant or designed for portable use, which sucks.. If those companies would've made just a tad extra step like the Monoprice/Kicker HP541 to cater to the portable users, the appeal would've been far greater. All it takes (for audio technica) is to make the cable detachable and provide a second shorter cable for portable use.  Shure is half way there, but from some reason they don't include a shorter straight cable for the 440's or the 840's model.. The 940's is a different scenario, but even then, the cable is still too long for portable use..

But yeah, 440's sound with the 840's pads on ... and for the asking price.. Damn best Neutral, detailed, analytical, balanced and smooth sounding headphones for that price. Definitely an underrated headphone.

Nov 5, 2011 at 1:32 AM Post #12 of 12
Well normally they are on ear headphones but with the 840 pads plus some foam I turned them into very nice sound isolating over ear headphones. I don't intend to use the outside my house anyway, I just use them for computer and Xbox. Surprisingly they give me pretty good positional awareness but the T-400 were better as they had an angled driver like other audio technicas but despite the PRO5 MS not being angled its better than I could have expect.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back