Shure SRH1540 Review
Dec 4, 2020 at 10:23 AM Post #2,281 of 2,678
I've spent a couple days with my new 1540 and LOVE them! I am honestly blown away at their sound, especially for a closed back, but even just in general. Incredible for rock, electronic music, and hip-hop.

They are making me realize how much bass was missing in my other headphones (SR80, 325i, MSR7b, HD600). Also, their mids are among the best I've ever heard for rock guitars. As a guitarist myself, they really sound/feel accurate and like the real thing. Just insanely fun and life-like guitar tones. I still prefer my HD600 for acoustic guitars, vocal-centered music, and jazz, but for anything rock or electronic, its 1540 all the way.

I was a bit underwhelmed at first, running the 1540 straight out of my M11 Pro (unbalanced). The bass was somewhat sloppy and distracting and the overall sound was congested and a little fatiguing. Switching to powering them with my Little Dot Mk III w/Mullard 8161 and putting the M11P in line-out mode was a big WOW moment.

The 1540 may be lower ohm, but they sure come to life with some power and tube flavour. The bass tightened up immensely, soundstage increased, and guitars/mids became even more rich. Treble also became much more detailed and present. (This is also probably indicative of the M11P's limits when it comes to bigger cans, too. I'm going to eventually get a 4.4 balanced cable to try the 1540 with the M11P that way, but I'm extremely pleased with how they sound using the LDIII.)

All of this is with high res files from HDTracks or Tidal MQA/HiFi.

Overall, I'm super happy with the 1540 - and they haven't even burned/broken in yet - and even now can't wait to get home for another listening session. :)

So I gave the 1540 another try straight out of the 3.5 on my M11P, this time at low volume. I really enjoyed it and agree with Tyll that they sound great at lower playing levels, with the bass/sound signature acting as a 'loudness' feature. It was when I was trying to get a lot of volume out of just the M11P that things were getting boomy and fatiguing. But at a low level, it was great.

These might be my perfect closed, beside-the-bed set, with the the odd trip downstairs for the LDIII and a rock-out session.

Last edited:
Dec 6, 2020 at 1:51 PM Post #2,282 of 2,678
So I gave the 1540 another try straight out of the 3.5 on my M11P, this time at low volume. I really enjoyed it and agree with Tyll that they sound great at lower playing levels, with the bass/sound signature acting as a 'loudness' feature. It was when I was trying to get a lot of volume out of just the M11P that things were getting boomy and fatiguing. But at a low level, it was great.

These might be my perfect closed, beside-the-bed set, with the the odd trip downstairs for the LDIII and a rock-out session.

I pretty much always listen to mine at lower volume out of concern for my hearing as I age.

Dec 6, 2020 at 10:02 PM Post #2,283 of 2,678
Okay, listening to TOOL's Undertow right now. Best headphones I’ve ever heard for rock, by far! Guitars sound so insanely good, wow. Bass is unreal and vocals are just super present, love it.

Fear Innoculum is EPIC. GREAT hi res choice too.

Dec 7, 2020 at 1:31 PM Post #2,284 of 2,678
Okay, listening to TOOL's Undertow right now. Best headphones I’ve ever heard for rock, by far! Guitars sound so insanely good, wow. Bass is unreal and vocals are just super present, love it.

I should amend this. I found a better setting on my LDIII for my 600 that, to my ears, put it at equal -or-better for rock as the 1540. Still enjoying the 1540, though!

Dec 13, 2020 at 3:42 PM Post #2,285 of 2,678
Does anyone know where I can get a shorter, less microphonic cable for this headphone at a reasonable price? I’m not sure which cables would work with these given their proprietary connectors. The stock cable is pretty clunky and cumbersome to me.

Dec 23, 2020 at 6:03 PM Post #2,286 of 2,678
Does anyone know where I can get a shorter, less microphonic cable for this headphone at a reasonable price? I’m not sure which cables would work with these given their proprietary connectors. The stock cable is pretty clunky and cumbersome to me.

I love LQI Cables.

Dec 23, 2020 at 6:29 PM Post #2,287 of 2,678
Dec 26, 2020 at 9:56 AM Post #2,289 of 2,678
@Huxley Not having owned (or heard, for that matter) the 1840, I can't say with any certainty. But I would assume you should expect the pair of headphones in their retail packaging, at the very least :wink:

From what I've read about the 1840 versus its closed-back brethren, it is more linear with substantially less (mid)bass, more airy and spacious sounding. It's a well received pair of cans, but I'm not sure I've heard it being described as laid back. Guess you'll just have to crack them open and see how you get on with them!

Dec 26, 2020 at 10:14 AM Post #2,290 of 2,678
Well more laid back than what I'm used to.
I've always wanted the HD660, but saw the reviews on these and had to get them.

I have iems, and cans that are fun but nothing mature for say classical or jazz, guess that means I'm getting older.

Dec 26, 2020 at 6:23 PM Post #2,291 of 2,678
@Huxley Not having owned (or heard, for that matter) the 1840, I can't say with any certainty. But I would assume you should expect the pair of headphones in their retail packaging, at the very least :wink:

From what I've read about the 1840 versus its closed-back brethren, it is more linear with substantially less (mid)bass, more airy and spacious sounding. It's a well received pair of cans, but I'm not sure I've heard it being described as laid back. Guess you'll just have to crack them open and see how you get on with them!

I have the 1840, and you’re right, I wouldn’t call them “laid back.” They have a sound signature noticeably distinct from the 1540, pretty much as you described them, actually. :)

Dec 26, 2020 at 6:25 PM Post #2,292 of 2,678
Well more laid back than what I'm used to.
I've always wanted the HD660, but saw the reviews on these and had to get them.

I have iems, and cans that are fun but nothing mature for say classical or jazz, guess that means I'm getting older.

Well, the 1840 ARE more laid back than the Ultrasone Pro 900, though, yes, I had those until very recently when I sold them because I was just not using them on account of the sharp, bright treble which was just too much for me - and I have and enjoy the Beyerdynamic T90, mind you.

Dec 27, 2020 at 2:31 PM Post #2,293 of 2,678
Well, the 1840 ARE more laid back than the Ultrasone Pro 900, though, yes, I had those until very recently when I sold them because I was just not using them on account of the sharp, bright treble which was just too much for me - and I have and enjoy the Beyerdynamic T90, mind you.
They are certainly sharp, I've modded mine to tame those highs, but they need soldering as the sound has gone from one speaker.

I wanted a more spatial headphone, that allows me to pick out detail without fatiguing me.
Sure the Ultrasone's are fun, but detailed they are not.

Dec 30, 2020 at 3:54 PM Post #2,294 of 2,678
Yeah I'm in a similar position as I too find them fatiguing.
Got my 1840's on and right away I'm smitten, detailed and smooth with a great soundstage.

However the headband needs improvement.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back