Shure SRH1540 Review
Feb 7, 2021 at 1:09 PM Post #2,313 of 2,671
I would recommend you to try the srh1540 out of different dacs and amps before getting in. Depending on the setup it can sound soft and fluffy like hd650 or can sound intensely detailed and more fatiguing than hd800.

Iem vs full size is a hard comparison without a doubt since individual ears start to matter a lot and the type of music you listen to. That said, with my experience with srh1540 and 940, shure seems to have a consistent approach towards mids and i wouldn't be suprised if se846 had a similar tone.

Another way to tweak the srh1540 is to change the pads. You can get it to sound close to the 940+bass boost with simple pad changes.

The Shure SRH1540 headphones are wonderful out of my Sony NW - WM1A, using the balanced output. I use lqi cables all copper.

Feb 7, 2021 at 2:41 PM Post #2,314 of 2,671
Surf Cables list all the Shure 1540 cables as 'Sold Out'. As you indicate, the Moon cables are (much) more expensive.

LQI Cables make an affordable, awesome cable.

Last edited:
Feb 7, 2021 at 4:40 PM Post #2,315 of 2,671
In my case, no.

It had taken me buying DH Lab Silver Sonic BL II in bulk off of Ebay, years ago, and making my own patch cables out of it, for me to be able to get "boutique cables" truly out of my system. Scientific studies (which you are unlikely to find on here), state that most cable differences are very minute. Electrons don't care if there's a little bit of silver in the cable they pass through. If I couldn't hear the difference in amp to DAC cable, I didn't see any point in doing cable rolling with my headphone cable, either, when dealing with an amplified signal. HiFiMan's HE-6 uses gold traces, that's why they're so inefficient, and I don't think that material does anything to help their timbre. Some , say it's dry, doesn't sound as good as most dynamic headphones, not as natural as something like a ZMF Auteur.

People responding about interconnects, really should do a blind, A/B/X listening test, where somebody changes the cables for them, and you don't know which one is playing at a given time, before claiming to hear a difference, or else it's not a scientific test. People in these forums say, "I'm not an electrical engineer, but".. Meaning what, they enjoy deliberately posting junk science in public because they're not skilled in electronics? I don't enjoy reading it.

Personally, I have owned the SRH-1540's before, and had heard only minute differences in swapping pads. I had a low shelf eq program for them, to tame their out of control bass (something like -4 db below 150 Hz). No wonder they had sounded dark. Think Dekoni has individual frequency response curves available online for their products.

You might try some DSP plug ins to alter the sound, just in your computer? Just a thought. I had found the Shures to sound warmer and more pleasant than my Focal Clears, at the time, with some music. For example, I had used the lower resolution Shures with classic rock music, in particular, or anything that had a lot of percussion. Sometimes hearing more detail in the music, isn't very enjoyable. I had heard a large difference between a Mylar driver, and an aluminum/magnesium one, that would have been far more noticeable than headphone cable changes.

Thanks, went with silver plated copper, should hopefully add a bit of sparkle and warm them up.

Attachments

• DSC00185_4.jpg
    DSC00185_4.jpg
    149.4 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Feb 10, 2021 at 10:00 PM Post #2,316 of 2,671
LCD-X is one of my to-try headphones along with LCD-4. But the weight and my lukewarm experience with the LCD2 C and LCD2 F was not exciting me in that direction. Also the weight. Can you confirm if HD800 was used when mastering Up close by ottmar liebert and Automatica by Nigel stanford? Regarding use in pro environments, I was relating to pro environemnts that involve coding certain synth or stuff like that. Not necessarily mastering. Both are different targets if I'm right. Mastering headphones tend to try to cater to harman target while science analysis headphones like etymotic er4b etc tend to have their own target and intention. I'm working on spatial audio projects and I find headphones with wide soundstage etc to be not useful for my work. I expect something to feel like I'm at the position of the mic.

Few doubts::
1. People who use HD800 for mastering. Do they equalize them?
2. What do people who do binaural stuff use for analysis?

I wouldn't particularly say I enjoy a well amped srh1540 on most music I have. Its too sharp for me. I actually enjoy it underamped with most music i have. :jecklinsmile:

The SRH1540 headphones do very well out of the balanced output of the Sony NW-WM1A. Oops, I already told you that...sorry. My bad.

Last edited:
Feb 13, 2021 at 12:27 PM Post #2,317 of 2,671
In the quest to finally invest in a good pair of headphones I have come to a potentially odd first purchase plan...

Background:

For the last 8 years I have used the ATH-M50 and then m50x and have zero reference to what a 'better' pair of headphones would sound like.

I love and listen to music on a near full time basis and also work with sound often for editing (short films and cetacean acoustics). After a rabbit hole journey of research I got stuck on the idea of the SRH1540, mostly for use in listening to music and I have read every single review for it online I could find.

After weeks I am so worn out by the contradictions and polarised opinions I have found online, that in the end, I ended up playing devils advocate to try and figure out, what second pair would serve as a complimentary second option for everything so many claims is missing in the SRH1540 if I did end up ordering it.

I am not a audio 'analyst' to the extent some people are and I think I know what 'sound' I am after. In terms of what I like in audio - I love hearing individual instruments (good sound stage), clear sound and am by no means a bass-head, but like to 'feel' a tiny bit of bass in the lows while still retaining clarity (double bass drumming etc).

Based on the long-term feedback on the SHURE's by guys like @Quadfather and the fact that I need something to sound great on a wide variety of music genres (mostly metal and rock with some jazz and classical music), I am considering ordering both the following pairs in one go:

1. Shure SRH1540
2. AKG K712 Pro

Why?
  1. I live on an island (seriously) and we do not have any stores here where I could try headphones, so I am buying blind (or deaf to be exact 🙂). You basically get what you order online and due to shipping, ordering both at the same time is significantly cheaper than ordering one now and something else later.

2. Based on everything I have read, I am hopeful that the Shure SRH1540 is an awesome pair of headphones which wont disappoint despite having been called 'boring' by so many. Keep in mind my only references are the ATH-M50x, Bose QC25, HD 569, RAZER Blackshark Pro V2 (gaming) etc. All at a WAY lower league than the SHURE's I am sure.

3. I would need a closed back option for 85% of the situations I use it in. Ordering only an open back set would mean it would not be used as much as I would like to.

4. The hope is that with the SRH1540's as the main set, the AKG's will offer a good second pair to use for genres like jazz and more lively/ fun listening when possible with a different sound and allow me to finally experience both closed and openback sound without having to upgrade or change for the next few years.​
Cost wise I can get both new for 550 EUR where we are (666 USD)...Searching for one pair (any brand) in the same price range, I have not been able to find anything which is so highly recommended that it stands out and offers everything the combination of having both would. Feel free to correct me here / give suggestions.

So any thoughts/suggestions?

My main concerns would be:
  • that on receiving both I might realize the Shure SRH1540 sounds 'dull' when compared to the AKG and I end up not liking the SHURE. My hope is they are different 'beasts' and comparison will be pointless (each offering something different with the SHURE being used most).

• That I do not notice a huge upgrade from the ATH-M50x (as in a couple hudred EUR's worth 🙂
With that - If anyone knows both sets, I would sincerely appreciate some feedback - am I being stupid ordering both or does it kind of make sense?

Finally - thank you to everyone for an incredible wealth of learning material in these threads!

Last edited:
Feb 16, 2021 at 1:24 AM Post #2,318 of 2,671
In the quest to finally invest in a good pair of headphones I have come to a potentially odd first purchase plan...

Background:

For the last 8 years I have used the ATH-M50 and then m50x and have zero reference to what a 'better' pair of headphones would sound like.

I love and listen to music on a near full time basis and also work with sound often for editing (short films and cetacean acoustics). After a rabbit hole journey of research I got stuck on the idea of the SRH1540, mostly for use in listening to music and I have read every single review for it online I could find.

After weeks I am so worn out by the contradictions and polarised opinions I have found online, that in the end, I ended up playing devils advocate to try and figure out, what second pair would serve as a complimentary second option for everything so many claims is missing in the SRH1540 if I did end up ordering it.

I am not a audio 'analyst' to the extent some people are and I think I know what 'sound' I am after. In terms of what I like in audio - I love hearing individual instruments (good sound stage), clear sound and am by no means a bass-head, but like to 'feel' a tiny bit of bass in the lows while still retaining clarity (double bass drumming etc).

Based on the long-term feedback on the SHURE's by guys like @Quadfather and the fact that I need something to sound great on a wide variety of music genres (mostly metal and rock with some jazz and classical music), I am considering ordering both the following pairs in one go:

1. Shure SRH1540
2. AKG K712 Pro

Why?
  1. I live on an island (seriously) and we do not have any stores here where I could try headphones, so I am buying blind (or deaf to be exact 🙂). You basically get what you order online and due to shipping, ordering both at the same time is significantly cheaper than ordering one now and something else later.

2. Based on everything I have read, I am hopeful that the Shure SRH1540 is an awesome pair of headphones which wont disappoint despite having been called 'boring' by so many. Keep in mind my only references are the ATH-M50x, Bose QC25, HD 569, RAZER Blackshark Pro V2 (gaming) etc. All at a WAY lower league than the SHURE's I am sure.

3. I would need a closed back option for 85% of the situations I use it in. Ordering only an open back set would mean it would not be used as much as I would like to.

4. The hope is that with the SRH1540's as the main set, the AKG's will offer a good second pair to use for genres like jazz and more lively/ fun listening when possible with a different sound and allow me to finally experience both closed and openback sound without having to upgrade or change for the next few years.​
Cost wise I can get both new for 550 EUR where we are (666 USD)...Searching for one pair (any brand) in the same price range, I have not been able to find anything which is so highly recommended that it stands out and offers everything the combination of having both would. Feel free to correct me here / give suggestions.

• that on receiving both I might realize the Shure SRH1540 sounds 'dull' when compared to the AKG and I end up not liking the SHURE. My hope is they are different 'beasts' and comparison will be pointless (each offering something different with the SHURE being used most).

• That I do not notice a huge upgrade from the ATH-M50x (as in a couple hudred EUR's worth 🙂
With that - If anyone knows both sets, I would sincerely appreciate some feedback - am I being stupid ordering both or does it kind of make sense?

Finally - thank you to everyone for an incredible wealth of learning material in these threads!
The dull sound quotations is only if you underdrive it. With a decently capable amp it is anything but dull. Yep you'll get that sense of hearing thousand shades of cymbals, but it would also depend upon the quality of the digital to analog conversion stage and amplification stage.

Feb 17, 2021 at 10:02 PM Post #2,320 of 2,671

Background:

1. Shure SRH1540
2. AKG K712 Pro

Why?

The SRH1540 can sound very different depending on source. The headphones sound different from my Lotoo Paw Gold 2017 than they do from my Sony NW - WM1A. The Sony combination out of the balanced output is my favorite. They are brighter out of the LPG, whereas they're a little more laid back with fuller notes out of the Sony. For jazz, I usually use my AKG K812 headphones out of my LPG.

Last edited:
Feb 18, 2021 at 5:56 AM Post #2,321 of 2,671
The dull sound quotations is only if you underdrive it. With a decently capable amp it is anything but dull. Yep you'll get that sense of hearing thousand shades of cymbals, but it would also depend upon the quality of the digital to analog conversion stage and amplification stage.
Thank you for the reply and it certainly makes sense.
I went ahead and only ordered the SRH1540 as the seller offered free shipping on the AKG if I decided to eventually go for it which made the decision much easier.
Now looking at the Schiit Modius along with their MAGNIUS to upgrade my current setup. All sold out in Europe, so it might take a while to get though...

Mar 2, 2021 at 4:51 PM Post #2,322 of 2,671
I was looking for a balanced cable for a long time and had already ordered one from China because there is nothing in Europe.
Then I ordered a normal MMCX cable. Then, like here in the forum, someone had enlarged the holes in the headphones with a cordless screwdriver and a drill :D
I canceled the order from China.

Attachments

• photo_2021-03-02_22-49-49.jpg
    photo_2021-03-02_22-49-49.jpg
    195.8 KB · Views: 0
  • photo_2021-03-02_22-49-47.jpg
    photo_2021-03-02_22-49-47.jpg
    182.7 KB · Views: 0
Mar 5, 2021 at 6:06 AM Post #2,323 of 2,671
Finally got my Shure SRH1540 and I am writing this as I am listening to them...

First impression? Expectations exceeded and very impressed! 🎧
So far I have played many of my higher res music (24/96 FLAC tracks) through it ranging from Bill Evans to DEATH and TOOL and it all sounds excellent, even when just using a Focusrite Solo (3rd Gen) with its balanced output as the interface with my PC.

Looking forward to getting to know these headphones and happy to say I feel no need to invest in a second pair of anything for the time being 😁👌

Mar 7, 2021 at 12:54 PM Post #2,324 of 2,671
I don't get the "emphasized bass" critique on the 1540s. For me, they seem to focus more on the upper mids (as most cans seem to do). I frequently throw some EQ on these and they really come to life.
One of the measures I use to determine very low bass response is to play the opening of Love or Confusion by The Jimi Hendrix Experience. There is an ultra low moment there which the 1540s totally miss. Granted, it's an almost inaudible moment on many sets I've tried. It's almost like you feel it rather than hear it. I'm not a total bass-head, but if you consider replicating the sound from a decent home theater set-up, most headphones fall short of the sub-woofer element. To my ears, the Senn HD600s sound more natural, but I often find myself reaching for the 1540s instead. Perhaps they are a bit more engaging or "enthusiastic".
Have you ever listened to that Jimi Hendrix song with Sony MDR-Z1R headphones?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back