Shure SRH1540 Review
Oct 25, 2020 at 10:53 PM Post #2,266 of 2,678
Has anyone compared Shure SRH1540 to Sony MDR-Z1R out of the Sony Daps balanced.

Oct 26, 2020 at 4:10 AM Post #2,267 of 2,678
Has anyone compared Shure SRH1540 to Sony MDR-Z1R out of the Sony Daps balanced.

I've compared the Xony MDRZ7M2s to the Shure 1540s and to my ears there is literally no competition. The Sonys blow the Shures out of the water in terms of sq. Hence I sold the Shures and bought the Sonys, which I still have and still love. Not exactly what you were after, but hopefully helpful nonetheless.

Nov 29, 2020 at 12:41 PM Post #2,268 of 2,678
Hello

Can anyone compare the 1540 with AT’s MSR7B?

Particularly with an M11P or similar DAP?

I love my MSR7B, but am looking for possibly a step up in overall sound quality and maybe something closer to an HD600 sound signature.

(I’d be using the 1540 unbalanced for now, with the M11P, and maybe ordering a Surf 4.4 balanced cable for the future...)

Thanks.

Nov 29, 2020 at 4:29 PM Post #2,269 of 2,678
Hello

Can anyone compare the 1540 with AT’s MSR7B?

Particularly with an M11P or similar DAP?

I love my MSR7B, but am looking for possibly a step up in overall sound quality and maybe something closer to an HD600 sound signature.

(I’d be using the 1540 unbalanced for now, with the M11P, and maybe ordering a Surf 4.4 balanced cable for the future...)

Thanks.

Okay, I just ordered the 1540, should be here tomorrow. Looking forward to trying them!

Nov 29, 2020 at 4:42 PM Post #2,270 of 2,678
Okay, I just ordered the 1540, should be here tomorrow. Looking forward to trying them!
I think you will like them. I love mine, though I can honestly say that I haven't noticed a difference running them balanced over single-ended. I bought a Linsoul Tripowin balanced cable to use with my iBasso DX150, which has both single-ended and balanced outputs on the AMP6 module. I also tried the AMP8 module, which only has a 4.4 balanced output. Over many hours of comparison listening, the only difference I noticed was that in balanced mode on the DX150, I needed to turn the volume down a bit. I realize this is more about the DX150 than the Shures, but I think it's worth noting that the Shures do not HAVE to have the additional power that balanced outputs provide in order to sound excellent.

Initially, I applied a bit of EQ boost to the ever-so-slightly recessed upper mid-range, but lately I have removed that as being mostly unnecessary.

Sound is always subjective, and YMMV; but overall these are the best headphones I've owned over the course of many years. Happy listening!

Last edited:
Nov 29, 2020 at 10:47 PM Post #2,271 of 2,678
I think you will like them. I love mine, thought I can honestly say that I haven't noticed a difference running them balanced over single-ended. I bought a Linsoul Tripowin balanced cable to use with my iBasso DX150, which has both single-ended and balanced outputs on the AMP6 module. I also tried the AMP8 module, which only has a 4.4 balanced output. Over many hours of comparison listening, the only difference I noticed was that in balanced mode on the DX150, I needed to turn the volume down a bit. I realize this is more about the DX150 than the Shures, but I think it's worth noting that the Shures do not HAVE to have the additional power that balanced outputs provide to sound excellent.

Initially, I applied a bit of EQ boost to the ever-so-slightly recessed upper mid-range, but lately I have removed that as being mostly unnecessary.

Sound is always subjective, and YMMV; but overall these are the best headphones I've owned over the course of many years. Happy listening!

I know people on here will probably think I'm crazy, but when I had the demo Meze Empyreans, I kept wanting to go back to my Shure SRH1540s.

Nov 29, 2020 at 10:48 PM Post #2,272 of 2,678
Long time user here, still using them everyday! (in love with these cans for life I think). I got mine from lqicables. Works like a charm. I have one spare cable from surfcables but I'm from Europe so with shipping and all I think you are better off with a new one.

I have the same exact cables.

Nov 29, 2020 at 10:50 PM Post #2,273 of 2,678
I've compared the Xony MDRZ7M2s to the Shure 1540s and to my ears there is literally no competition. The Sonys blow the Shures out of the water in terms of sq. Hence I sold the Shures and bought the Sonys, which I still have and still love. Not exactly what you were after, but hopefully helpful nonetheless.

I love the Sony audio players, so I think I am going to try there MDR – Z1R headphones.

Nov 30, 2020 at 3:42 AM Post #2,274 of 2,678
I know people on here will probably think I'm crazy, but when I had the demo Meze Empyreans, I kept wanting to go back to my Shure SRH1540s.
Yeah this is unexpexted.

I have fond memories of the shure but it simply can't keep up with the Empyrean.
Everytime I try them, I put them back after like 10 minutes, not to destroy my fond memories

Nov 30, 2020 at 4:37 AM Post #2,275 of 2,678
Yeah this is unexpexted.

I have fond memories of the shure but it simply can't keep up with the Empyrean.
Everytime I try them, I put them back after like 10 minutes, not to destroy my fond memories
I love my Shure 1540 over pretty much anything that was under 1000$ and was released before approx 2017. There have been very good headphones coming out at very nice prices in the last 3/4 years and some of them can indeed compete with the Shures. The Shures were my main headphones from 2015 to about a month ago when I was blown away by the "JM Edition" Gjallarhorns (I made a review of these cans which in my mind sound better than anything out there, even though they are an acquired taste), but I intend to keep my Shure's for traveling and other portable listening experiences. Not to mention the Gjallarhorns are in another price range (just above 1000€)...

Last edited:
Nov 30, 2020 at 8:11 PM Post #2,276 of 2,678
Yeah this is unexpexted.

Oh, I totally understand. Everybody's ears are slightly different and hear slightly differently.

Dec 2, 2020 at 2:04 PM Post #2,277 of 2,678
I've spent a couple days with my new 1540 and LOVE them! I am honestly blown away at their sound, especially for a closed back, but even just in general. Incredible for rock, electronic music, and hip-hop.

They are making me realize how much bass was missing in my other headphones (SR80, 325i, MSR7b, HD600). Also, their mids are among the best I've ever heard for rock guitars. As a guitarist myself, they really sound/feel accurate and like the real thing. Just insanely fun and life-like guitar tones. I still prefer my HD600 for acoustic guitars, vocal-centered music, and jazz, but for anything rock or electronic, its 1540 all the way.

I was a bit underwhelmed at first, running the 1540 straight out of my M11 Pro (unbalanced). The bass was somewhat sloppy and distracting and the overall sound was congested and a little fatiguing. Switching to powering them with my Little Dot Mk III w/Mullard 8161 and putting the M11P in line-out mode was a big WOW moment.

The 1540 may be lower ohm, but they sure come to life with some power and tube flavour. The bass tightened up immensely, soundstage increased, and guitars/mids became even more rich. Treble also became much more detailed and present. (This is also probably indicative of the M11P's limits when it comes to bigger cans, too. I'm going to eventually get a 4.4 balanced cable to try the 1540 with the M11P that way, but I'm extremely pleased with how they sound using the LDIII.)

All of this is with high res files from HDTracks or Tidal MQA/HiFi.

Overall, I'm super happy with the 1540 - and they haven't even burned/broken in yet - and even now can't wait to get home for another listening session. :)

Last edited:
Dec 2, 2020 at 2:18 PM Post #2,278 of 2,678
I've spent a couple days with my new 1540 and LOVE them! I am honestly blown away at their sound, especially for a closed back, but even just in general. Incredible for rock, electronic music, and hip-hop. They are making me realize how much bass was missing in my other headphones (SR80, 325i, MSR7b, HD600). Also, their mids are among the best I've ever heard for rock guitars. As a guitarist myself, they really sound/feel accurate and like the real thing. Just insanely fun and life-like guitar tones. I still prefer my HD600 for acoustic guitars, vocal-centered music, and jazz, but for anything rock or electronic, its 1540 all the way.

I was a bit underwhelmed at first, running the 1540 straight out of my M11 Pro (unbalanced). The bass was somewhat sloppy and distracting and the overall sound was congested and a little fatiguing. Switching to powering them with my Little Dot Mk III w/Mullard 8161 and putting the M11P in line-out mode was a big WOW moment. The 1540 may be lower ohm, but they sure come to life with some power and tube flavour. The bass tightened up immensely, soundstage increased, and guitars/mids became even more rich. Treble also became much more detailed and present. (This is also probably indicative of the M11P's limits when it comes to bigger cans, too. I'm going to eventually get a 4.4 balanced cable to try the 1540 with the M11P that way, but I'm extremely pleased with how they sound using the LDIII.)

All of this is with high res files from HDTracks or Tidal MQA/HiFi.

Overall, I'm super happy with the 1540 - and they haven't even burned/broken in yet - and even now can't wait to get home for another listening session. :)
I love my 1540s as well and as a metalhead I confirm what you are hearing, these cans are indeed excellent for fast, energetic music. Glad you are enjoying them!

Dec 2, 2020 at 9:53 PM Post #2,279 of 2,678
I love my 1540s as well and as a metalhead I confirm what you are hearing, these cans are indeed excellent for fast, energetic music. Glad you are enjoying them!

Okay, listening to TOOL's Undertow right now. Best headphones I’ve ever heard for rock, by far! Guitars sound so insanely good, wow. Bass is unreal and vocals are just super present, love it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back