Shure SRH-940 Reviews and Appreciation Thread
Oct 6, 2012 at 5:03 PM Post #166 of 192
All I can say is the velour pads are AMAZING. Oh and they sound great >.> Warm, with good bass extension and to-die-for mids. Highs are perfect, maybe a tad bright

Oct 6, 2012 at 6:58 PM Post #167 of 192
Quote:
All I can say is the velour pads are AMAZING. Oh and they sound great >.> Warm, with good bass extension and to-die-for mids. Highs are perfect, maybe a tad bright

Great, they do not sound completely unbalanced , as if there was a high pass filter, unlike what some are implying.

By the way, the sensitivity of srh940 to headband position is confirmed by measurements.
If you look at innerfidelity , they show for frequency response  "Bottom - Raw Data for Five Headphone Positions" and there's a gap of at least 5db on the bass region which is enormous IMHO.
But the graph doesn't confirm that the high can be less aggressive though:
http://www.innerfidelity.com/images/ShureSRH940.pdf

Oct 7, 2012 at 2:23 AM Post #168 of 192
I stopped using the velour earpads. They got too hot for me (when I'm outside). I'm currently using pleather memory foam pads from my Corsair H50 gaming headset. They fit perfectly. The sound didn't change much. There wasn't any added bass or isolation, but I'm always in a loud environment at work, so I can't tell the difference.

I do feel like I will break the folding joint/arm in the future and thinking about remaking it in metal for durability.

Oct 7, 2012 at 10:54 AM Post #169 of 192
Since this is a reviews thread, I will post up my review. Since everyone said everything there is to be said about sound quality and since I am not as knowledgable as the average headfi-er, I will talk about the practical aspects and the build quality of the SRH-940.

When you first open the package, the impression you get is that this is a premium product. 

Carry case, velour pads, subtle and sophisticated design. And it it. You can really feel the quality of this headphone, from the [insert your favourite phrase] sound to the removable bayonet lug jack( only if the ATH-M50s had this feature...). The headphone feels solid. 

Even with the crown of death(mild headaches after long use) as some people call it, with the bumps in the headband pressing down on my head and forcing me to use the headphone with the headband extended to maximum length, it is still ridiculously comfortable. I would recommend it n build quality alone. 

Except for the fact that my SRH-940's headband broke near the swivel cup. Snap, when I was trying to adjust the headband whilst walking, with one hand, without paying much attention. I do admit I was a bit careless but I'm sure there are quite a number of people who would buy the Shure SRH-940 expecting it to be a brick( It certainly looks the part).When you look at the headphone and feel it, it feels quite solid(except for the retractable portion of the headband as I noticed after breking it) but the adjustable headband is a letdown. It is made with  cheap, semi transcluent, brittle plastic, reinforced by a metal insert(cannot tell which metal as I haven't been able to take it out), and a more flexible plastic strip on which the wire is attached. 

For me, I always enjoyed the sound of the SRH-940s and used them pretty much everywhere(the one hour train/bus ride to university is so much more enjoyable with proper music), and expected the SRH940s to be able to withstand some serious abuse seeing that every other part of the headphone is designed for durability in mind, and having it break on me was such an annoyance. Luckily though, Shure seems to have great warranty policy, so I will be able to send it back for repairs.

I am posting this because one of the main reasons I bought a SRH940 was because I destroyed my ATH M50s by pulling the cord and bought the SRH940 in the hopes that this headphone will last a bit longer. While it is a great headphone, a few minor issues that any prospective buyer should be aware of, lest they see(or hear as in my case) their precious headphone snap out of action on an unsuspecting day.

Oct 7, 2012 at 12:15 PM Post #170 of 192
Quote:
I destroyed my ATH M50s by pulling the cord and bought the SRH940 in the hopes that this headphone will last a bit longer. While it is a great headphone, a few minor issues that any prospective buyer should be aware of, lest they see(or hear as in my case) their precious headphone snap out of action on an unsuspecting day.

Read this thread , if you haven't yet:
Shure SRH-940 Crack and their service!

Personally there's two things that do not add up well:
- the srh940 sound is controversial.  My out of box experience was disappointing,
but I learned to enjoy them when I realized that some factor such like headband position could have great impact on sound.
- their build quality sucks. Hey my hd595 lasted at least two year before that any crack appear. I've barely used the seh940 in comparison.

Feb 11, 2013 at 1:18 AM Post #174 of 192
How many others are having their Shure SRH series(840 and 940) cracked?
Wanting to pull the trigger but this is always bothering me since I don really want to buy something and have to deal with Customer service...

Feb 11, 2013 at 3:03 AM Post #176 of 192
Quote:
Wanting to pull the trigger but this is always bothering me since I don really want to buy something and have to deal with Customer service...

Haven't heard a lot of complaints about the SRH840 cracking.  I had mine for a long time and they were really built like a tank.  It's one headphone that I really do think I will buy again.  The SRH940 on the other hand - lots of reports of them cracking .....

Feb 11, 2013 at 3:56 AM Post #177 of 192
Haven't heard a lot of complaints about the SRH840 cracking.  I had mine for a long time and they were really built like a tank.  It's one headphone that I really do think I will buy again.  The SRH940 on the other hand - lots of reports of them cracking .....

Hey, thx again for the info. Much appreciated. I'll go check those out soon.

Feb 22, 2013 at 12:19 AM Post #179 of 192
Quote:

Mine cracks! I also see many of demo unit of 940/750s at retail shops having small crack lines. Mine is the 840 but very minor and I applied super glue to stop further cracking and seems to be alright.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back