Shure SRH 940 - one of the best closed?
Feb 1, 2012 at 8:30 AM Post #91 of 98

Quote:
haha Thanks for doing that mate :)  So they are closed after all as well as they sound closed :D Thanks again :)

I think Philips can get away with saying they're open - because technically they are.  But the design is not truly open in the sense that most open or semi-open headphones are - it's more to me like they are simply vented.

Jan 1, 2013 at 7:47 PM Post #93 of 98
And not to mention how ugly they are on the head.  The headband is practically flat when they are on.  Im testing both out on a CAD AUDIO amp (just 50 bucks), and so far, even though I really want to keep them, I want to take back the 940s.  Only other ones Im used to are the hd595s, so I'm coming from clarity and no bass anyways.  I friggin wish the 940s had a punchier bass.  Also, I just bought this amp, and Im thinking I should prolly just go with the higher ohms.  I feel like not too long from now, some new closed cans will be 940 clarity and 770 punch.  Now that I have an amp, Im hoping it'll be strong enough for the hd600s when one day I am able.  
My amp has an output or 47ohms.  
Output power is 50mW..  
Response is 20Hz-50kHz.
S/N ratio  >110dBA. 

Can anyone tell me what these mean?  I assume its pretty good if it is able to push 4 headphones, ya know?  By the way, I'm new here and this is my first post.  Ive been stalkin threads here for the past couple weeks and pretty much narrowed it all down to the 770s and 940s and this amp.  This would be even harder if the 940s didnt come with 2 detachable cables and a friggin box.  Especially if the price was 200 also.  The 770s are damn comfy and look nice on the head.  I also do not like the foldy cups on the 940s.  Well, what do you think of my amp?  People talk like different amps bring different sound to a set of cans.  ugh, I really dont know which ones to pick.

Sep 27, 2013 at 7:35 PM Post #95 of 98
Yes - Got my Mr.Speakers Mad Dogs today and am comparing them to the Shure SRH 940 side by side.
So far the scoreline reads -

Shure SRH 940   Vs   Mr.Speakers Mad Dogs

1                                   0

That's no trick of the light.
The Mad dogs cost me €378 against the Shures €199

The Shure has a nicer sound signature, warmer (despite the graph showing modest base).They dramatically blend base and carpet room sound with cosmic clarity. Like Silver wrapped in Velvet - beautiful.
I am driving them both with the same 4-port amplifier. The Mad dogs take a lot more power to bring to the same volume. The Shures would run on power supplied by a lightening bug. This is a great advantage for portability. I have yet to notice the Shures benefiting from amplification.
The Mad dogs resemble slick and tight sounding ATH-M50s but not so bright(M50s were too bright) and with a better sound stage.. But the headphone has mid echo featuring (peaks near 1Khz).It was the very first thing I noticed - literally in the first second of listening. This to my ears is undesirable but is ok. These are a lot of fun and resemble Bose somewhat. But with more depth.
I would say the Shures are better than their price reflects while the Mad dogs are a little too steep in cost. 

But the Shure SRH 940s combine great warmth and clarity at upward frequencies and emulate SENN HD650 in many ways - even on their frequencies response graphs. They also have the best sound stage when compared to Mad dogs - just a little. Very accomplished for a 200 dollar headphone.
In comfort they are identical but only because I modified the Shures with plastic cable ties to reduce ear pressure.
I think if Shure changed the design a little they would profit in the market -

1/  Replace that disastrous headband  - it is too big, looks stupid and creaks and cracks - consider M50 or SRH 750jd type approach..
2/ Give the earpads more depth to deal with various ears. This would leave them very comfortable. Later I will try them with the Alpha pads from the Mad dog (840, 940 and Alpha pads all fit I think).
3/ The insertion cable end going into the left earcup is too big and non-standard. What would be wrong with the cable used on the Mad dogs?

If Shure revised these details I think they would be on to a great thing. 
I should also say that the sound insulation on the Shures is good. Innerfidelity measured -12db with these and they are better than M50s (-8db). Meanwhile Mad dogs measure -17 and are very good. But I never had a problem with the SRH 940s in this regard.
Some people might complain about the square-wave response on the Shures being a little sloppy but it just doesn't make that much difference when listening. 
So the Shures have more character but the Mad dogs sound more slick and fluid.
Right now I am far from certain which I will keep. I think I would miss the Shures. So please folks, lets have no more talk of these being of flawed pedigree. Where Shure got it right they made them wicked in performance. But they lost the plot with some of the practical stuff.

Like many people I have to have closed-back cans (open-backs are a deal breaker). I am not optimistic about finding this kind of sound elsewhere for the money.
Looks like these mad dogs got their nose bloodied in round one.
Well tomorrow is another day. We'll see.

Sep 28, 2013 at 1:57 PM Post #96 of 98
Nice, right as I'm back in the market for some closed cans. I'm considering Shure, but I'm also interested in Sennheiser Momentums and possibly just the safe Beyer DT880 choice.

Oct 17, 2016 at 2:30 PM Post #98 of 98

Users who are viewing this thread

Back