Shure SRH 940 - one of the best closed?
Jan 4, 2012 at 7:14 PM Post #46 of 98

Quote:
Short answer to the original question of this thread: YES. easily
These are amongst the most neutral of all cans in my opinion. They are the pinnacle of neutrality and detail. They rival or surpass orthodynamics in this regard. 
This single achievement IMO renders any other superficial faults meaningless.
The bass is so detailed, layered, quick and textured that it is meaningless that the sound doesn't produce the kind of thump a Senn would. The thump is easily achievable with EQ or DSP, it is the detail that is truly important, not the volume of the specific frequencies. 

IMO this can destroys everything at this price range, including open cans. In terms of detail, it rivals the Senn HD800. Nuff said!

Can't tell if serious or joking.

These are not neutral. Huge bass hole and to much treble. Vocals sound very unnatural to me. The shure srh840 is much better at $130.

Jan 4, 2012 at 7:16 PM Post #47 of 98

Quote:

I haven't played Counterstrike - but if it is an FPS, and you want to be able to locate opposition by positional audio (ie - footsteps, voices, etc) - you need to have a sound card capable of processing EAX / CMSS / Dolbyhp to get the surround sound.  Otherwise all you are doing is getting sound in stereo (you won't get the positional accuracy).

With all due respect - have you ever played an FPS on a well set-up computer using headphones and either dolbyhp, EAX or CMSS?  The reason I ask is that your statement above doesn't make sense./  We're not talking sound effects here - we're talking about the ability to process 3D surround to track footsteps, voices etc for positional accuracy.  You cannot do that in stereo with headphones.  You plug the headphones in, set the computer audio to 5.1 / 7.1, then use the EAC/CMSS/dolbyhp processing within the soundcard do the actual 3D work.  If you haven't tried it - then you should.  With the right set-up, it can be incredibly accurate and add another dimension to FPS gaming.

Well ok, besides platform games, I  do not play much. I  didn't like CMSS  for the way it affects the sound, but I've never cared much of "positional accuracy"

Jan 4, 2012 at 7:20 PM Post #48 of 98

Quote:
Can't tell if serious or joking.

These are not neutral. Huge bass hole and to much treble. Vocals sound very unnatural to me. The shure srh840 is much better at $130.

Well, if you didn't sell  your srh940 already, try to move the cups on your head just like I'm suggesting in my review.  This affects the sound ... Just suggesting.

Jan 4, 2012 at 7:26 PM Post #49 of 98

Quote:
Well, if you didn't sell  your srh940 already, try to move the cups on your head just like I'm suggesting in my review.  This affects the sound ... Just suggesting.

I don't hate them but i don't find them to be amazing either. In terms of realism the shure srh840 is more real. The srh940 is funner however even though it sounds fake.

Jan 4, 2012 at 9:10 PM Post #52 of 98

Quote:
That is the oddest opinion Ive ever heard about the 940s.The vocals are best part of these phones.They sound like the singer is singing to you in a chair from across a table.Great phones if you enjoy vocals!

I agree with you, but i think he said that because male vocals need more mid bass than woman voice, and SRH940 hasn't lot of mid bass imo. Male vocal aren't very deep with SRH940. Just my opinion.

Jan 4, 2012 at 11:30 PM Post #53 of 98
Listen to this and tell me it sounds real, it sounds kind of odd to me the vocals.

Jan 5, 2012 at 4:25 AM Post #54 of 98

Quote:

I haven't played Counterstrike - but if it is an FPS, and you want to be able to locate opposition by positional audio (ie - footsteps, voices, etc) - you need to have a sound card capable of processing EAX / CMSS / Dolbyhp to get the surround sound.  Otherwise all you are doing is getting sound in stereo (you won't get the positional accuracy).

With all due respect - have you ever played an FPS on a well set-up computer using headphones and either dolbyhp, EAX or CMSS?  The reason I ask is that your statement above doesn't make sense./  We're not talking sound effects here - we're talking about the ability to process 3D surround to track footsteps, voices etc for positional accuracy.  You cannot do that in stereo with headphones.  You plug the headphones in, set the computer audio to 5.1 / 7.1, then use the EAC/CMSS/dolbyhp processing within the soundcard do the actual 3D work.  If you haven't tried it - then you should.  With the right set-up, it can be incredibly accurate and add another dimension to FPS gaming.

@LuciferRising - for either the HD598 or HM5 (if you go that route) - neither need amping - both are very efficient headphones.  I only mentioned the sound card IF you need the positional processing for gaming.

Okay, first of all I have 2 PC's. One quite old - like 6-7 years old. and the other is almost 2 years old. For Counter Strike 1.6 i use the old one, cuz its the only thing I can use it for, and for music, new high graphics games and stuff I use the new one. So heres the question, I dont even know what soundcard I have on my old PC, i think it was Realtek or something, so playing CS on that PC is impossible? I refuse to believe that because I've been hearing footsteps without a problem. So just tell me with the new headphones, no matter what they are (either HD 215 or HD 598 Shure SRH 940 or HM5),do I need additional equipment to use them properly and make use of their full potential of hearing footsteps etc etc? the question is for the old PC, for  the new I believe dont need anything? maybe im wrong. But i dont play CS on the new as I said.

Quote:

I agree with you, but i think he said that because male vocals need more mid bass than woman voice, and SRH940 hasn't lot of mid bass imo. Male vocal aren't very deep with SRH940. Just my opinion.

Well... Robin Thicke doesnt :p

Jan 5, 2012 at 5:39 AM Post #55 of 98

Quote:
Okay, first of all I have 2 PC's. One quite old - like 6-7 years old. and the other is almost 2 years old. For Counter Strike 1.6 i use the old one, cuz its the only thing I can use it for, and for music, new high graphics games and stuff I use the new one. So heres the question, I dont even know what soundcard I have on my old PC, i think it was Realtek or something, so playing CS on that PC is impossible? I refuse to believe that because I've been hearing footsteps without a problem. So just tell me with the new headphones, no matter what they are (either HD 215 or HD 598 Shure SRH 940 or HM5),do I need additional equipment to use them properly and make use of their full potential of hearing footsteps etc etc? the question is for the old PC, for  the new I believe dont need anything? maybe im wrong. But i dont play CS on the new as I said.

Yes - you'll hear footsteps.  But I'll bet with your headphones on and current set-up that you can't tell accurately exactly where they are coming from .... right?  If that matters to you - then you'll need a card (either internal or external) capable of CMSS, EAX or dolbyhp.  When I play FEAR, Crysis, or even FarCry - I can tell exactly where the footsteps are coming from (eg behind to the left), and after a while, I can even tell how far away they are.  It all depends if that really matters to you.  If not - then don't worry - and play without an amp.  All I'm saying is that my game play improved when I knew exactly where the enemy was coming from.  I guess a lot depends on the game AI as well.  FarCry (as old as it is) is a nice game to know where the bad guys actually are :)

You don't have to spend a mint either if it's an old PC.  Something simple like this (http://www.amazon.com/SOUND-BLASTER-LIVE-EXTERNAL-24BIT/dp/B00030099O) is all you need.  It's what I currently use.  Just get a second hand one ($39).  If you go to the gaming thread I linked to earlier - they'll be able to give you better advice on what is available.  You might be able to get something more modern with better features for even cheaper.

Jan 5, 2012 at 6:00 AM Post #56 of 98

Quote:

I (almost) only play Counter Strike 1.6. do I need an Amp ?

There's very divided opinion on whether you want Dolby Headphone and similar or whether stereo is better for FPS games. More that pretty much any audio topic I've read about. Unfortunately the only way you'll know for sure if you prefer one over the other is to try gaming with both and see which suits you better. Everyone here can only tell you what their ears prefer not yours. 

Jan 5, 2012 at 6:57 AM Post #57 of 98

Quote:
Listen to this and tell me it sounds real, it sounds kind of odd to me the vocals.

Metal is the main style I listen to, and being honest this entire song sounded odd to me... :p With my speakers or every earphone that I tried...

Jan 5, 2012 at 7:36 AM Post #58 of 98

Quote:

Metal is the main style I listen to, and being honest this entire song sounded odd to me... :p With my speakers or every earphone that I tried...

Ditto, sounds like a fairly meh metal version of an Irish jig or reel. The vocals sound muffled and odd on my HD25-IIs, for what it's worth. 

Edit: Actually to be clear Enter Darkness, I think you're confusing "female vocals" with any female singing in any genre. Normally when someone says female vocals in general they mean altos, sopranos etc so think Maria Callas, Enya and so on, rather than female metal vocalists growling and singing in a fairly low register. When people talk about the 940s suiting female vocals they are normally referring to the former not the latter. 

Jan 5, 2012 at 7:42 AM Post #59 of 98
What about going out and try some cans ? The Sennheiser HD 25-1 II is a classic that I read the guy over at Inner fidelity praise. It´s a on-ear so maybe it´s too hard on your ears for 8 hour gaming and the cable is not removeable. Cost 300 $ but you can get them under 200 $ on like amazon.com : http://www.amazon.com/Sennheiser-HD25-1-II-Closed-Back-Headphones/dp/B000TDZOXG/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1325766741&sr=8-1

I had the Shure SRH 940 home for 3 weeks and they are great not for everybody, because they are a pro monitor headphone with lots of details right in your ears.

Maybe you should wait till after the CES Show in Las Vegas next week to decide anything. A lot of new stuff could be presented there .     

Jan 5, 2012 at 12:23 PM Post #60 of 98

Quote:
. So heres the question, I dont even know what soundcard I have on my old PC, i think it was Realtek or something, so playing CS on that PC is impossible? I refuse to believe that because I've been hearing footsteps without a problem. So just tell me with the new headphones, no matter what they are (either HD 215 or HD 598 Shure SRH 940 or HM5),do I need additional equipment to use them properly and make use of their full potential of hearing footsteps etc etc

The srh940 are pretty average (for music) if you run them from an onboard soundcard like realtek or whatever. They are more impressive/interesting with a good DAC/amp (in my case xonar stx).
It's less important for my hd595 , because they are much less revealing (and I guess it would be similar for the hd598).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back