Shure SRH 940 - one of the best closed?
Jan 3, 2012 at 6:22 PM Post #16 of 98
Id try to get a pair of the denon d2000 and markl mod it yourself, its easy and only costs like $20 dollars more, it will recess the bass a little and bring the mids forward more. 

Jan 3, 2012 at 6:31 PM Post #18 of 98
They don't suck - they just don't suit your genres.

Jan 3, 2012 at 6:42 PM Post #21 of 98
Sound quality is mostly subjective; what sounds good to you may not sound good for others.

I enjoyed both D2000 and HD598 for music and gaming. Both have excellent soundstage. For Counter Strike I enjoyed D2000 a little more due to heavier bass response. HE grenade explosions and AWP shots have much more low-end impact. They also perform better on hip-hop music and such.

Jan 3, 2012 at 6:44 PM Post #22 of 98

Quote:
so im right then? the more dB the louder they sound ?

Yes and no, you must also take into consideration the impedance.

Quote:
so the bottom line is: the SRH940 are not the best closed phones for that price range?

They are one of the best, it is just a matter of preference.

Quote:
The srh940 offers a nice soundstage. But I've heard that the k550 is a "champion" in soundstage if you are particularly interested by this (closed can).

Yes, K550 has a much bigger soudstage than srh940.

Jan 3, 2012 at 6:48 PM Post #23 of 98

Quote:
So actually you all said that SRH940 pretty much suck :D and there are better choices in that price range.

hmm

Nope, but ideally you  would test them before you buy them. The are pretty good for acoustic music &  industrial (like rammstein,marylin mason, nine inch nails) especially, which seems far from "hip hop" & dance. But you might still like them even for hip hop & dance, depending of your tastes. Do you want huge bass ? They are not designed for this.
Do you want lot of details, crisp  sound ?  You might want the srh940 then.

Jan 3, 2012 at 7:25 PM Post #24 of 98

Quote:
So actually you all said that SRH940 pretty much suck :D and there are better choices in that price range.

hmm

Yes, IMO there are better choices in that price range.
Especially for you.

Quote:
Well Im gonna use them for music(alternative rock, hip hop, trance, pop-dance, well I listen to almost every genre) and gaming(like hearing footstepsin Counter Strike and etc etc).

I've been told by a couple of guys now that SRH940 are the best option for me(for my needs) in that price range, however, i've been told to look these Brainwavz HM5, but actually, I trust only Sennheiser, Shure, and (maybe) Beyerdynamic.. so.. thats pretty much it :)

So except for the bass (which they apparently lack) you are pleased by them ?

Strongly disagree, respectfully.

Quote:

With your type of music, i don't understand why some people recommend you the SRH940 (?).

SRH940 is a very good headphone, with excellent mids, but its a bass shy headphone imo and with your taste you ll need more bass.

SRH840 ll be a better choice imo but its still not a bassy headphone.

HFi780 ll be, imo, a better choice.  Sennheiser, yes, but if you want an open headphone.

A900 could be also a good choice (music/gaming), less punchy but better soundstage.

Pro650...

I don't understand that recommendation either; and it is a bass-shy headphone.

Quote:
If you want bass, and have a nice gaming experience..probably beyers. (DT770 pro80, which is a closed can)

Yes - I think the DT770 Pro 80 would be a far better choice for you.
As well as the previously mentioned Ultrasone HFI-780.
Even the Shure SR-840.

Quote:

well people said that Open phones are better for my gaming (like CounterStrike - hearing footsteps and etc etc). That said, i've been recommended to buy Sennheiser HD 598. But on second thought, im not really 'FOR' leaking sound in and out, especially in. BUT on the other hand I REAAAAAAAALLLLLY want this kind of brilliant soundstage, great sound quality, accuracy, rich sound, critical listening + all those things built in the 598s. And I asked myself (and respectively im asking you now :p) is it possible a pair of Closed phones to sound as good as Open ones (in this case Sennheiser HD 598)? and couple of supposed to be experienced guys told me that for that price range, the best Closed phones that I can buy are Shures SRH940.. and that was that.

one thing that botheres me is that sensitivity of these Shures - 100dB, compared to HD598's 112dB. and my question is, do these numbers (100dB) show how loud headphones would sound or its a totally different thing? I was thinking this: example: 112dB would sound louder than 100dB.  Maybe im wrong, not sure. you tell me.

so thats pretty much it.

advices please :)

Yes again; definitely.  dB = decibels, which is the measure of loudness.
In other words, 60 decibels SPL (sound pressure level) is louder than 50 decibels.
Always.
Decibels are just an objective scientific measurement of loudness.

Jan 3, 2012 at 9:37 PM Post #25 of 98
940s are great with most genres classic rock pop jazz acoustic.I They are not bass heavy but bass suffice and the base is tight. I have enjoyed mine very much,they display a lot of detail very revealing.You should test these at a store first though as with any headphone before you purchase them.

Jan 3, 2012 at 11:06 PM Post #29 of 98
I'm just going to speak from a completely objective standpoint. From a purely technical perspective, the SRH940s trump almost every other closed headphone in its price bracket. 

Forewarning: There are many risks in comparing waterfall CSD plots. They are sensitive to many factors which may not be held constant. Furthermore, don't take this analysis at face value. I am speaking from a purely technical standpoint, which has nothing to do with how much people enjoy the sound of a headphone. 

bcf857b3dd43381c092856cee7bf1883.png

This waterfall CSD plot is one of the most clean I've seen of a closed headphone ever. Only measurements of the Fostex orthodynamics I've seen come close to this in a closed headphone. The decay is incredibly smooth and quick with no true peaks.

Comparatively, here is the $400 Beyerdynamic T70 which are more difficult to drive and significantly more expensive.
e55ac7317ba03bd5411f8d0b455a7671.png

Of course this doesn't say anything about how the headphone will sound to your ears, but the Shure SRH940 has amazing technical measurements and could probably be a contender for anyone if they're willing to equalize to their preferred sound signature (assuming they know what that would be) with a parametric equalizer. Furthermore, many people enjoy a sound that is inferior on a purely technical standpoint, but enjoy a sound that has ringing in specifically targeted areas (myself included) -- the Grados, for example, have peaks which make the vocals sound shoutier due to ringing in the lower treble. The technical measurements agree with the reviews of the people who say it is incredibly clear, clean and sometimes even compare it against the HD800 in terms of overall detailing. Granted, I'm certain that's an overstatement, but just the fact that so many people would put forth such a statement says something about the SRH940's overall detailing ability. Many other factors beyond this tie into the overall enjoyment of the headphones -- do you like your bass tighter or looser? What is your preferred sound signature? How is the overall damping of the sound? What of comfort and all of those other factors?  

So, in a way, I agree the assessment that the Shure SRH940 is the "best closed headphone for the price," but I'm agreeing with it on a technical level. I don't personally like the sound signature and I don't really care to spend the money to buy a pair, despite loving the overall detail I heard in the sound in the short time I've heard them at a Guitar Center, but I just felt like saying that.

Back up on topic...

I don't suggest the SRH940 unless you plan on doing some aggressive equalization off the bass frequencies. You can probably make the SRH940 fit you very, very well, but there are other headphones that will do the same for far less work. Many of them have been suggested in this thread, so I won't toss more suggestions onto that fire. 

Jan 4, 2012 at 5:58 AM Post #30 of 98

Quote:
According to the music genre you listen (especially hip hop & dance) , you'd want more bass than the srh940 offers, however for gaming the recommendation is usually to avoid bass heavy headphones. If you disregard the frequency balance of hd598 & srh940, their sound is very different.  I  have only experience with the hd595, and I  don't believe that the difference to the hd598 is that big, despite all the hype.
Anyway my hd595 offer very smooth sound, very forgiving,  nice to relax, but can be boring. The srh940 in other hand offer very crisp sound, revealing, engaging, can be fatiguing. One con against the srh940, is that I  noticed that position of cups on the head can significantly modify the sound , especially soundstage & amount of treble (see my review for more details).

The srh940 offers a nice soundstage. But I've heard that the k550 is a "champion" in soundstage if you are particularly interested by this (closed can).

exactly, thats why I avoid huge bass and bass heavy headphones.. why do all of you keep saying I need huge bass. I dont. :{

Quote:
Get a DT 770 80 ohms and put some acoustic foam in the earcups. This reduces the bass hump and alleviate the slightly-recessed mid, and also improves the soundstage. Great closed cans for an overall purpose(games, music, movies).

I dont wanna put anything inthem. I want to buy something that is a closed equivalent of HD598. ( is it that hard :frowning2:

Quote:
They don't suck - they just don't suit your genres.

I got it. :) thanks

Quote:

Yes and no, you must also take into consideration the impedance.

They are one of the best, it is just a matter of preference.

Yes, K550 has a much bigger soudstage than srh940.

Quote:
Nope, but ideally you  would test them before you buy them. The are pretty good for acoustic music &  industrial (like rammstein,marylin mason, nine inch nails) especially, which seems far from "hip hop" & dance. But you might still like them even for hip hop & dance, depending of your tastes. Do you want huge bass ? They are not designed for this.
Do you want lot of details, crisp  sound ?  You might want the srh940 then.

No, I DONT:)

and (once again) I want:

Quote:
BUT on the other hand I REAAAAAAAALLLLLY want this kind of brilliant soundstage, great sound quality, accuracy, rich sound, detail, critical listening + all those things built in the 598s.

just a closed equivalent of HD598.

Quote:
I'm just going to speak from a completely objective standpoint. From a purely technical perspective, the SRH940s trump almost every other closed headphone in its price bracket. 

Back up on topic...

I don't suggest the SRH940 unless you plan on doing some aggressive equalization off the bass frequencies. You can probably make the SRH940 fit you very, very well, but there are other headphones that will do the same for far less work. Many of them have been suggested in this thread, so I won't toss more suggestions onto that fire. 

thanks.

and once again to sum up my needs. what I want is:
  1. brilliant soundstage
  2. great sound quality
  3. accuracy
  4. rich sound
  5. detail
  6. critical listening
  7. detachable cable (haha this is kinda funny yes, but I need it to be detachable - a lot of cables Ive damaged before, and I dont have a friend electrician)

Believe me I'd want Open ones but they wouldnt be as good for gaming as Closed ones. for gaming the most important thing(for me anyway, but also for a lot of players) is the complete noise isolation, noise leaking IN/out when I play is not acceptable. and as couple of guys said( including extrabigmehdi here), I dont need huge bass for my headphones, it doesnt work right for my gaming(CS).

and actually I listen to almost every genre, not only hip-hop and trance, and that huge heavy bass is not certaily needed.

Is it even possible to find these phones or not? its been a week  now and I still havent found them :D 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back