Shure SRH 940 impression and support thread
Dec 17, 2011 at 8:33 AM Post #2,746 of 3,855

Quote:
Brah I'm not purposely attacking you. I'm just proving that you're still in the honeymoon phase. You don't think you are, but you are. Opinions change after a while. That's why there are quite a number of discrepancies in your reviews. So don't be so quick to shoot down other people's review/comments and say that they're invalid (Quote: i am now greatly skeptical of nearly this entire community.).

Are you trying to say that in a few weeks i will no longer be impressed? I believe you are right. But yet even if that's the case i am still satisfied with these. I bought the sennheiser hd 25 1 ii 1.5 months ago. For the first week they were amazing then i went back to my shure srh840. I still love my sennheiser hd 25 1 ii but i find they are uncomfortable for long listening sessions. When i first put those on my head i was wowed by the energy. When i first put the shure srh840 on my head i was thinking they were ok. Good but not amazing. 3 days later and i am no longer with that opinion. I listened to a particular song on my shure srh940 and i said to myself these vocals sound a little strange. I was starting to feel a little disappointed. Then i tried the song on my shure srh840 and they sounded strange on those as well. I love these headphones but only time will tell if that lasts. I am pretty shure it will. But then again i went through many stages with my shure srh840. Love, hate, love, hate, love etc to finally settle on brilliant. I had to buy many pairs of headphones to enforce that opinion however.

Dec 17, 2011 at 8:46 AM Post #2,748 of 3,855

Quote:

Yeh... by the way Bcasey I'm not sure if your Fiio E5 and Fiio E7 are showing you the full potential.

I have a Fiio E6 and it does not sound good.

Sounds fine to me.

Heck it runs fine out of my iphone.

Dec 17, 2011 at 8:53 AM Post #2,750 of 3,855

Quote:
No it doesn't, the iPhone doesn't have any voltage juice to take 940 to it's pinnacle performance.

It plays the headphones just not very loud.

Dec 17, 2011 at 8:57 AM Post #2,751 of 3,855
My MacBook Air plays the headphones but the sound quality is severely lacking versus with my NFB12. I'd say the amp-unamped difference is in some ways less than headphones like the HD650 but the SRH940s definitely come alive with a proper source. They're still enjoyable from a standard audio port of course... but then again so are my HD650s.

Dec 17, 2011 at 9:05 AM Post #2,753 of 3,855
My fiio e7 amplifies it fine.

Dec 17, 2011 at 9:20 AM Post #2,755 of 3,855
well, further pic , to illustrate the fact that different positions of the srh940, leads to different sound signature.
On position B, I've elongated a bit the headband , and inclined it above the forehead , I believe it helps to maintain a clamping force,
and hence better bass.
I hope you won't laugh at picture, but I get a much better soundstage , and more neutral overall sound with position B.

Dec 17, 2011 at 9:28 AM Post #2,756 of 3,855

Quote:
well, further pic , to illustrate the fact that different positions of the srh940, leads to different sound signature.
On position B, I've elongated a bit the headband , and inclined it above the forehead , I believe it helps to maintain a clamping force,
and hence better bass.
I hope you won't laugh at picture, but I get a much better soundstage , and more neutral overall sound with position B.

^ That's creepy on so many levels. 

I've noticed that different positions can affect the sound on some phones (srs) but I don't own a Shure 940.... :0

Increase in clamp force improves bass impact, centering your ear canal to the center of the driver grates improves clarity, etc. 

Dec 17, 2011 at 9:35 AM Post #2,757 of 3,855

Quote:
and hence better bass.

I hear no difference.

Dec 17, 2011 at 10:17 AM Post #2,759 of 3,855
Please don't erase your facial features away before taking  posting a pic the next time....

Hollow Man.... 
triportsad.gif

Dec 17, 2011 at 12:27 PM Post #2,760 of 3,855

Quote:
I hear no difference.

Well I have at least three confirmations that it sounds different for other people: the review from tape op Magazine (which reports more bass), Miceblue that seems to like the improved soundstage, and R-audiohead who said it sounded worse (but at least acknowledging there's a difference ). If you don't seem to notice a difference, well there are probably some rational explanations : the form of your skull, or of your ear canals, or whatever .... The fatigue I was experiencing was enough annoying to prefer the hd595 (which can be sometimes quite boring), until I found  the "positioning fix" .

@Blue Boat
Quote:
Please don't erase your facial features away before taking a pic the next time....

I didn't like the pig look of the miceblue pics either. I thought that was cooler.

The next  battle : hd700 vs srh1840 (the hd700 are coming too, according to a thread).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back