Shure SRH 940 impression and support thread
Jul 31, 2011 at 11:56 PM Post #856 of 3,855
woah woah woah man. I mean I didnt know Internet was a verb but I guess now it is. Let me stop being the grammar police sooooooo how was your day kind sir?

Aug 1, 2011 at 2:10 AM Post #857 of 3,855
I decided to download EqU for ipod and play around the EQ. the 940s have really excellent lows and mids, but it's just the high is abit too high for my liking. Why couldn't they just lower the highs abit, it would surely be the most neutral cans ever.

Aug 1, 2011 at 2:30 AM Post #858 of 3,855

Quote:
Why couldn't they just lower the highs abit

That is the question of the decade. I hope every headphone company takes this question seriously and with this question, may a revolution of true neutrality begin.

popcorn.gif

Aug 1, 2011 at 3:10 AM Post #860 of 3,855
Quote:Originally Posted by superman0390 

"I decided to download EqU for ipod and play around the EQ. the 940s have really excellent lows and mids, but it's just the high is abit too high for my liking. Why couldn't they just lower the highs abit, it would surely be the most neutral cans ever."

Try modding the inside of the cups and back of the dirvers with plumber's putty. It not only manages to add a bit of bass impact but also tames the highs just enough to take a bit of the edge off. It's worth a try and is completely reversible. Just a thought.

Aug 1, 2011 at 5:36 AM Post #862 of 3,855
Quote:Originally Posted by superman0390 

"mod? care to share? :D"

Here's a link to the mod:

http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/533716/shure-srh-940/825#post_7630468

Tell me your impressions if you try it. :)

Aug 1, 2011 at 9:39 AM Post #865 of 3,855
Quote:Originally Posted by extrabigmehdi 

"pfff, putting some putty inside expensive headphones to decrease the highs ... You definitely have too much money to burn. I'd rather learn to enjoy the default sound, or use an eq."

Modding is quite common on Head-Fi. Grados and Denons being the most popular headphones to mod. People mod their cars or motorcycles. It's a human element to want to tinker around. I see absolutely nothing wrong with this practice and is fun to many of us here. The great news is that no-one is forced to do it but can if they want. Plus the 840/940 mods are completely reversible.

As for how much it tames the highs? I'd say just a little bit. It would be hard to quantify it in absolute terms but I'd say it takes a slight edge off.

Aug 1, 2011 at 11:15 AM Post #866 of 3,855

Quote:
pfff, putting some putty inside expensive headphones to decrease the highs ... You definitely have too much money to burn. I'd rather learn to enjoy the default sound, or use an eq.

[size=medium]
in the age of twitter, internet forums, social networks, and other means of saying stupid things, i wish people would consider things before saying/typing stupid things.  first of all, what the F is pfff? second of all, people mod/DIY things all the time (cables, dynamat, headband mods, pad mods, housing mods, putty mod(singluar lol), etc).  third of all, what does your comment actually accomplish? does it help the people on this thread discussing their mod?  

more insight, less as$hole everybody...  
[/size]

Aug 1, 2011 at 11:32 AM Post #867 of 3,855

Quote:
first of all, what the F is pfff?

sorry, it's from french ... I  should have said meh, or an other english exclamation.

Quote:
what does your comment actually accomplish?

I learned from the previous answer that the mod was reversible.  I could ask you the question too. You don't need to be rude,  I've seen countless pointless coments before.

Aug 1, 2011 at 1:39 PM Post #868 of 3,855

Quote:
That's all I've got for now! I hope my roundup is helpful or interesting to someone. :)

Excellent write up! I feel that although I've never heard the 440's or 840's, I have!

Quote:

That is the question of the decade. I hope every headphone company takes this question seriously and with this question, may a revolution of true neutrality begin.

popcorn.gif

True neutrality doesn't exist, especially with headphones.

Aug 1, 2011 at 1:44 PM Post #869 of 3,855

Quote:
pfff, putting some putty inside expensive headphones to decrease the highs ... You definitely have too much money to burn. I'd rather learn to enjoy the default sound, or use an eq.

Using EQ to decrease a large area like 10k-16k down 10+ db is a terrible idea. I did that with the Beyerdynamic T1s, which have an almost identical frequency boost, and in the end it just wasn't worth it. The frequency region of interest was far too large and too boosted to not lose detail from compensating with EQ. It's just better to either buy another headphone if you can't enjoy it. If you enjoy it enough, then maybe modifying it isn't such a bad idea. I would not consider modding a T1, but the 940 is much cheaper.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back