Shure SRH 940 impression and support thread
Jun 2, 2011 at 6:20 AM Post #377 of 3,855
Is the comfort and weight better on the 940's?

Something that put me off the 840's was that i'd like to use them as semi portables (planes and cars) and they always seemed to bulky.

I think SRH 440's would be the best for that... They're a lot more compact for portable use. The 940's, while seemingly lighter, and definitely more comfortable, are unfortunately just as large as the 840's and look pretty dorky on one's head. Lol.

Jun 2, 2011 at 7:20 AM Post #378 of 3,855
ahh that is frustrating. the srh 440 seem like a big step down in tone from the 840 but i really want a taste of that sweet sweet shure pie. Looks like i'm looking for alternatives or going IEM. 

Jun 3, 2011 at 3:06 AM Post #379 of 3,855
ahh that is frustrating. the srh 440 seem like a big step down in tone from the 840 but i really want a taste of that sweet sweet shure pie. Looks like i'm looking for alternatives or going IEM. 

The 440's are definitely not a step down from the 840's, they're a little more accurate, have more bass impact and are a little brighter. A pair of 440's with 840 pads (and ONLY with 840 pads) are just as good as 840's, sonically, in my opinion.

Getting back to the topic of the SRH940's, with each hour (I'm at about 50-70 right now), the highs smooth out, the separation gets better and the bass impact goes even lower... Didn't think that was possible. These might have some of the best bass I've ever heard in a headphone. Oh, who am I kidding? These have some of the best everything I've ever heard in a headphone. I'm trying my hardest to find a fault, and i simply just can't.

Jun 3, 2011 at 3:33 AM Post #380 of 3,855

Quote:
Quote:

The 440's are definitely not a step down from the 840's, they're a little more accurate, have more bass impact and are a little brighter. A pair of 440's with 840 pads (and ONLY with 840 pads) are just as good as 840's, sonically, in my opinion.

I Disagree,  Ive AB them with several friends from same source same pads and all consistently picked the 840s as superior.
None said the 440s sounded bad, just that the 840s were smoother/richer  and just more enjoyable.

that being said, tastes do differ, and theres a lot to like about the 440s

Jun 3, 2011 at 3:36 AM Post #381 of 3,855

Quote:
Getting back to the topic of the SRH940's, with each hour (I'm at about 50-70 right now), the highs smooth out, the separation gets better and the bass impact goes even lower... Didn't think that was possible. These might have some of the best bass I've ever heard in a headphone. Oh, who am I kidding? These have some of the best everything I've ever heard in a headphone. I'm trying my hardest to find a fault, and i simply just can't.

Honestly, think about how much you paid for what you ended up with. For those of you who were worried about the 940 being an 840 with a new paintjob... fear no more.

Not gonna lie, although I realized the quality initially I still only thought "meh".  As I spend more time with them I really find them growing on me.  For me I really didn't find them as much of a shocker out of the box (or after some break-in) but it is very obvious that these deliver a type of sound any audio enthusiast has to respect... even if it isn't a preferred response.  I'm finding these house the type of response I prefer (smooth highs, present mids, tight/fast recovery bass.

I'm becoming addicted to how large the vocals sound without a hint of harshness, and am still the most impressed with the ability for the headphone to extend without compromising quality.  Kudos Shure Audio, you've impressed me (esp. at the 300 dollar pricepoint)

My only real complaint now comes from the headphone physically.  I can't do multi-hour (3+) listening sessions with these headphones like I can my SP-1.  For me they do get a little heavy on the head and I feel pressure from the headband after an hour or so.  I'm aware that this was a common complaint for the 840 and am aware that the 940 is probably a vast improvement in comfort over the 840, but I'm still finding flaws.  It sounds beautiful enough for me to tolerate it for at least a couple hours... but it'd be nice if I didn't have to.  I guess I'm kinda spoiled with my pillow fit SP-1 and HD 448 - clamping force is near zero it seems and the weight is a joke it's so light.  I'm probably just being a baby :D

Jun 3, 2011 at 3:37 AM Post #382 of 3,855
I understand some or even most picking the 840's over 440's but I don't see either as sonically superior to the other, just different. Kind of like the whole HD600/HD650 debacle. One is a little more flat and accurate the other is warm and lush.

Jun 3, 2011 at 3:40 AM Post #383 of 3,855
Honestly, think about how much you paid for what you ended up with. For those of you who were worried about the 940 being an 840 with a new paintjob... fear no more.

Not gonna lie, although I realized the quality initially I still only thought "meh".  As I spend more time with them I really find them growing on me.  For me I really didn't find them as much of a shocker out of the box (or after some break-in) but it is very obvious that these deliver a type of sound any audio enthusiast has to respect... even if it isn't a preferred response.  I'm finding these house the type of response I prefer (smooth highs, present mids, tight/fast recovery bass.

I'm becoming addicted to how large the vocals sound without a hint of harshness, and am still the most impressed with the ability for the headphone to extend without compromising quality.  Kudos Shure Audio, you've impressed me (esp. at the 300 dollar pricepoint)

My only real complaint now comes from the headphone physically.  I can't do multi-hour (3+) listening sessions with these headphones like I can my SP-1.  For me they do get a little heavy on the head and I feel pressure from the headband after an hour or so.  I'm aware that this was a common complaint for the 840 and am aware that the 940 is probably a vast improvement in comfort over the 840, but I'm still finding flaws.  It sounds beautiful enough for me to tolerate it for at least a couple hours... but it'd be nice if I didn't have to.  I guess I'm kinda spoiled with my pillow fit SP-1 and HD 448 - clamping force is near zero it seems and the weight is a joke it's so light.  I'm probably just being a baby :D

I, too, can't believe the price of these. I got them for $254 shipped. I seriously would have paid four times that and still felt like I got a bargain to be honest. The headband does get slightly heavy after about two hours in the same spot, but a slight adjustment gives me another 2 comfortable hours. I'm glad I'm not the only one who is completely impressed and bowled over by these headphones, you hit the nail on the head, they're beautiful sounding.

Jun 3, 2011 at 3:42 AM Post #384 of 3,855

Quote:
Quote:

I'm enjoying my SRH940, and find imaging and overall tonal quality to be outstanding.

I'm only about 4 hours in, but am not seeing the bottom end as it's strongest suit. I would put it on par with my DT880's for bass. In fact in lowest notes, my TMA-1's may be better (but not as tight in the mid bass).

That said, in many ways they challenge my HD800's for mids and highs, and for a closed can actually seem quite airy.

For $300 (or less if you look), they may be the best value headphone I own, and as the only Shure I have owned previoulsy is IEM's, I think they are extremely comfortable.

Jun 3, 2011 at 3:44 AM Post #385 of 3,855
I'm enjoying my SRH940, and find imaging and overall tonal quality to be outstanding.

I'm only about 4 hours in, but am not seeing the bottom end as it's strongest suit. I would put it on par with my DT880's for bass. In fact in lowest notes, my TMA-1's may be better (but not as tight in the mid bass).

That said, in many ways they challenge my HD800's for mids and highs, and for a closed can actually seem quite airy.

For $300 (or less if you look), they may be the best value headphone I own, and as the only Shure I have owned previoulsy is IEM's, I think they are extremely comfortable.

Trust me, the bass will come in as time goes by, I thought the same thing at first and if you can believe it the highs get even better. By the way, given your screen name, have you listened to dark side of the moon on these? Jaw dropping, to put it lightly.

Jun 4, 2011 at 6:11 PM Post #386 of 3,855

Quote:
I, too, can't believe the price of these. I got them for $254 shipped. I seriously would have paid four times that and still felt like I got a bargain to be honest. The headband does get slightly heavy after about two hours in the same spot, but a slight adjustment gives me another 2 comfortable hours. I'm glad I'm not the only one who is completely impressed and bowled over by these headphones, you hit the nail on the head, they're beautiful sounding.

Hi,

Where did you get it for 254 $ including shipping from? Everywhere I look its 299 US $. Please let me know. Thanks.

Jun 4, 2011 at 8:29 PM Post #390 of 3,855
Wonder how they compare to the KRK KNS-8400 or 6400.

Still interested in the 940s, but only when I see more reviews commenting on the comfort.
I guess they're supposed to be lighter than the 840.

So is the 940 a detail monster or no?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back