Shure SRH 940 impression and support thread
May 24, 2011 at 7:36 PM Post #316 of 3,855
^ Me I'm waiting for Complex's expanded comparison review of the SRH840 & SRH940.  
biggrin.gif
   I'll add to Mad Max's list of review questions..  

Bass: which handles drums better?  Are 940 lacking bass, or are 840 excessive?  Are 940 well defined/crisp?
Mids: which has more 'forward' mids?  Quick test- which makes electric guitars more exciting?   Puts voices further in front of the other instruments?  Are mids smooth?  Voices realistic?
Highs: do 940 have a good amount of treble?  Listening to a song with lots of cymbals (and decent bitrate) are they ever excessive?  Or well balanced with the other frequencies & instruments?
Soundstage: listening to acoustic or classical music with your eyes closed: does one sound like the performance is in a larger room?  Is the soundstage natural or artificially created by treble?  Test for this is if bass sounds like it is in the middle of the room and treble on the fringes.
Isolation: does one block external sounds better than the other?
Musicality: do 940 sound a little less bland, nasal or closed-in than 840?

Quote:
How much more insight and detail does the 940 provide versus 840?  Speed?  How much airier is 940's soundstage?  How much more does 940 bring out ambiance and what not?  How precise is the soundstage?
Does 940 have a tighter clamp grip?  How much sturdier does it feel when you fiddle with it?

Take your time.  =]

May 24, 2011 at 8:27 PM Post #317 of 3,855
It'll be good to hear your impressions of my review I plan on posting shortly (next few days)

Many hours in and I'm still not hearing the bass impact grow...  so far these definitely have some of the lightest bass I have heard in a headphone, especially of this caliber.
It makes up for it in other areas though :)

Please don't take this derogatorily or condescendingly, but what headphones have you owned/heard? Are they bass light compared to, say, dt880's or k601/k701's?

May 25, 2011 at 1:42 AM Post #318 of 3,855
Check out www.headphonebar.com shipping is $8.99 out of Vancouver.

http://www.headphonebar.com/products/Shure-SRH940.html

Quote:
I am eagerly awaiting your review as well R-Audiohead.

On a somewhat related note, anyone know where to get this in Canada without exorbitant extra shipping? One of the places mentioned in the thread won't ship it to Canada, the other wants $40 in shipping, which seems a bit much. Maybe I'll have to check on amazon or ebay.

Kindof wish I hadn't missed out of FutureShop's sale of the 840, but now I can choose between the 840 still left online in some places, or the 940. Not exactly sure what to do yet...

Edited to add: R-Audiohead, I hope you mention in your review what kind of music are you using for your auditioning. I mostly listen to classical, so I'm not super concerned with having copious amounts of bass, but I think I do prefer a little extra in the low end typically.

May 25, 2011 at 6:14 AM Post #319 of 3,855

Quote:
Please don't take this derogatorily or condescendingly, but what headphones have you owned/heard? Are they bass light compared to, say, dt880's or k601/k701's?

I certainly don't take this offensively, my points of reference are extremely important when evaluating if my opinions are relevant to you specifically. 

Most of the headphones I have owned are on the lighter end of bass impact, as I tend to gravitate towards a more unbias (flat) sound.  I'm picky with my bass and I find it quite common that bass is bloated to the point that it herniates into the low-mids or in some cases clouds the entire midrange.  Many consider the Senn HD448 bass light, and I have certainly heard the CharterOak SP-1 described as such. I have definitely spent some time with some bassier cans, and have spent a lot of time with external setups which spoil me (or sometimes destroy everything - it ALL depends on the pairing/tuning) with a subwoofer/midwoofers... which when done correctly I have yet to hear a headphone match.  I'm guessing this is likely due to the fact that I haven't poured the dollars into headphones like I have into external hi-fi. 

Other headphones I have had a fair amount of listening time with: Sennheiser - HD595 (notoriously bass light), HD428, HD228, HD238, PX 360 (Very bassy), HD650 (small emphasis in the midbass to my ears); Beyer - DT770 (bassy); MB Quart - QP400 (lighter bass), SP-1; Ultrasone - HFI780 (weird bass, but certainly not bass light); AT - ATH-M50 (bassy); Grado - SR60i, SR80i; Denon - AH-D2000 (rich bass)

There might be some others I have forgotten, but I feel like this is a fairly broad spectrum of "bass tastes" for which I have had some listening experience with.  The ones I tend to purchase are certainly on the lighter end of things compared to what I have auditioned... but sometimes even those of us who don't necessarily put bass impact high on our list frown when the lows are empty.  I really enjoyed my buddy's HD595, but even myself who doesn't necessarily favor bass impact over other aspects of the spectrum would have trouble purchasing the HD595 because of its empty bass presence.

Hopefully this gives you a better perspective on my bass experience

May 25, 2011 at 6:21 AM Post #320 of 3,855

Quote:

Edited to add: R-Audiohead, I hope you mention in your review what kind of music are you using for your auditioning. I mostly listen to classical, so I'm not super concerned with having copious amounts of bass, but I think I do prefer a little extra in the low end typically.

Classical music is certainly one of the genres I run through.  It seems to bring out the best (or worst) in a headphone's ability to reproduce detail and perceptions in dynamic range.  I feel even those audio enthusiasts who don't listen to classical music regularly have to appreciate what the genre brings to the table.

May 25, 2011 at 3:48 PM Post #321 of 3,855

Quote:
^ Me I'm waiting for Complex's expanded comparison review of the SRH840 & SRH940.  
biggrin.gif

Bass: which handles drums better?  Are 940 lacking bass, or are 840 excessive?  Are 940 well defined/crisp?
Mids: which has more 'forward' mids?  Quick test- which makes electric guitars more exciting?   Puts voices further in front of the other instruments?  Are mids smooth?  Voices realistic?
Highs: do 940 have a good amount of treble?  Listening to a song with lots of cymbals (and decent bitrate) are they ever excessive?  Or well balanced with the other frequencies & instruments?
Soundstage: listening to acoustic or classical music with your eyes closed: does one sound like the performance is in a larger room?  Is the soundstage natural or artificially created by treble?  Test for this is if bass sounds like it is in the middle of the room and treble on the fringes.
Isolation: does one block external sounds better than the other?
Musicality: do 940 sound a little less bland, nasal or closed-in than 840?

Nasal?  lol
I'm told 840 is kind of metallic, too.

May 25, 2011 at 4:27 PM Post #322 of 3,855
So my 940's were shipped out from earphone solutions using fedex "express". I love earphone solutions but fedex is horrible. My package has been stuck at "arrived at fort worth, tx" since Sunday. Whenever something goes through fort worth in fedex, it's like a black hole apparently. It was supposed to be delivered today but upon calling them I found out that the only flight going to southern California were full. Are you kidding me??? ONE flight to southern california... You'd think I lived in montana or wyoming. I'm so not okay with having to wait another day given that I already paid for extra shipping. Petty as it sounds, you know if it were you, it would suck.

May 25, 2011 at 9:19 PM Post #323 of 3,855

Quote:
biggrin.gif

I actually haven't listened to the 940 in like a week. I've been listening to my new Sony V6 and my neglected Beyer DT 250. I might get around to writing more about them eventually but don't hold your breath. I am a terrible reviewer.

May 26, 2011 at 7:11 PM Post #324 of 3,855

Quote:
So my 940's were shipped out from earphone solutions using fedex "express". I love earphone solutions but fedex is horrible. My package has been stuck at "arrived at fort worth, tx" since Sunday. Whenever something goes through fort worth in fedex, it's like a black hole apparently. It was supposed to be delivered today but upon calling them I found out that the only flight going to southern California were full. Are you kidding me??? ONE flight to southern california... You'd think I lived in montana or wyoming. I'm so not okay with having to wait another day given that I already paid for extra shipping. Petty as it sounds, you know if it were you, it would suck.

so did you get your shure srh940s yet? I am patiently waiting on impressions.

May 26, 2011 at 7:20 PM Post #325 of 3,855
They just got here an hour ago. First impressions are extremely positive. They definitely need breaking in, but from what I can tell I'm listening to my new favorite headphones. As it stands, they're very DT880-like, which is a good thing. Super extended highs that aren't harsh at all, nice warm liquid midrange, with a bass that's neither lacking or over emphasized that's extremely tight. Soundstage is open headphone like and they have absolutely zero closed headphone reverb. I don't know how they got a closed headphone to sound like an open one but they did it. The build quality is unbelievably good and light at same time, which is no easy task. I will be posting a full review with my other SRH headphones in a day or two when they're fully broken in.

May 26, 2011 at 7:46 PM Post #326 of 3,855

Quote:
... I don't know how they got a closed headphone to sound like an open one but they did it...

You can often pull that off in a really good headphone by adding Akasa Paxmate Plus to the inside of the cups to kill the resonances.
A2000X is so well made, it doesn't need any, and it is nice to read about another closed-back with similar characteristic.  =]
DT880-like character is also good.
Now I'm piqued, lol.

May 26, 2011 at 8:14 PM Post #327 of 3,855

You can often pull that off in a really good headphone by adding Akasa Paxmate Plus to the inside of the cups to kill the resonances.
A2000X is so well made, it doesn't need any, and it is nice to read about another closed-back with similar characteristic.  =]
DT880-like character is also good.
Now I'm piqued, lol.

Wow that's pretty cool I didn't know what the material was called. These seriously are getting better with every song I throw at them. I haven't found one genre that sounds better or worse, they all sound incredible. Everything from tool, smashing pumpkins to rascal flatts to Bach to Eric Clapton to armin van buuren.

May 26, 2011 at 9:00 PM Post #328 of 3,855
Quote:
They just got here an hour ago. First impressions are extremely positive. They definitely need breaking in, but from what I can tell I'm listening to my new favorite headphones. As it stands, they're very DT880-like, which is a good thing. Super extended highs that aren't harsh at all, nice warm liquid midrange, with a bass that's neither lacking or over emphasized that's extremely tight. Soundstage is open headphone like and they have absolutely zero closed headphone reverb. I don't know how they got a closed headphone to sound like an open one but they did it. The build quality is unbelievably good and light at same time, which is no easy task. I will be posting a full review with my other SRH headphones in a day or two when they're fully broken in.

Just got mine and agree 100% with this. Sound extremely good, less bass impact than my 440's but that suits me. Definitely not bass light. They work awesome with metal. Comfort seems very good also.

May 26, 2011 at 9:20 PM Post #329 of 3,855
Quote:

Just got mine and agree 100% with this. Sound extremely good, less bass impact than my 440's but that suits me. Definitely not bass light. They work awesome with metal. Comfort seems very good also.

They have less bass than both the 440 and 840 in terms of quantity. However, quality is on a whole different level. It's tighter, far more textured and extends to the point where you feel it in your heart, if that makes sense.

May 26, 2011 at 9:32 PM Post #330 of 3,855

Quote:

Thanks for your impressions.  Looking forward to your review.  
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back