Shure SRH 940 impression and support thread
May 16, 2011 at 4:01 PM Post #271 of 3,855
i'm curious to know if you think its worth the extra $100 over the srh840.

May 17, 2011 at 1:13 PM Post #272 of 3,855
So I got my 840 back from Shure (actually a brand new one).

Initial thoughts:

Compared to the 940, the 840 sounds dark and syrupy. The improved clarity of the 940 is really nice, but the bass is a bit less imapctful and I miss that. Soundstage with the 940 might be slightly better, or it could just seem that way because of the cleaner sound. Vocals seem a bit closer with the 940.

The 940 fits my head slightly better, as it's bigger (only just barely) at max extension, and the 840 always felt tight. Since I have leather 840 pads on both, no difference there.

May 17, 2011 at 2:52 PM Post #273 of 3,855

Quote:

Compared to the 940, the 840 sounds dark and syrupy. The improved clarity of the 940 is really nice, but the bass is a bit less imapctful and I miss that. Soundstage with the 940 might be slightly better, or it could just seem that way because of the cleaner sound. Vocals seem a bit closer with the 940.

I seem to remember my 840s being a bit light on bass when i first got them.  Think maybe the bass will stretch its legs a bit on the 940 once they get loosened up??

May 17, 2011 at 3:42 PM Post #274 of 3,855

Quote:
Initial thoughts:

The 940 fits my head slightly better, as it's bigger (only just barely) at max extension, and the 840 always felt tight. Since I have leather 840 pads on both, no difference there.

How much more insight and detail does the 940 provide versus 840?  Speed?  How much airier is 940's soundstage?  How much more does 940 bring out ambiance and what not?  How precise is the soundstage?
Does 940 have a tighter clamp grip?  How much sturdier does it feel when you fiddle with it?

Take your time.  =]

May 17, 2011 at 4:05 PM Post #275 of 3,855

Quote:

I seem to remember my 840s being a bit light on bass when i first got them.  Think maybe the bass will stretch its legs a bit on the 940 once they get loosened up??

I'm not a believer in burn in (at least not any significant audible changes) but I definitely believe in my brain getting used to a new sound, so I do somewhat expect this.

Quote:

How much more insight and detail does the 940 provide versus 840?  Speed?  How much airier is 940's soundstage?  How much more does 940 bring out ambiance and what not?  How precise is the soundstage?
Does 940 have a tighter clamp grip?  How much sturdier does it feel when you fiddle with it?

Take your time.  =]

I'm not sure I'll be able to quantify most of those things but I'll give it a few days and see. The clamping force feels the same. As far as sturdiness goes, they are equal. The 840 has always felt very durable to me, and the 940 is no different.

May 17, 2011 at 4:14 PM Post #276 of 3,855
Good to know the leather 840 pads fit on the 940!

I was considering trying this out... how does swapping between the velour and leather sound?

May 18, 2011 at 12:15 AM Post #277 of 3,855
Your skepticism is perfectly understandable. I don't post here, I have only read for a very long time. I use the same name on all the forums I am a member of including avsforum and hometheatershack where I am a moderator. I would make no money from this, it's just a favor I can offer since one of my home theater suppliers (distributor I use for wiring products) carries Shure and this particular model. Google my username and you'll see plenty of evidence of who I am.

I apologize if this came off as shady, while I do not post here, I do learn a lot and wanted to offer something small in return.

Quote:
Quote:Originally Posted by DaveUpton 

"If anyone is interested in 940s I can get great pricing in volumes of 5 if several people want to get in on a group buy. It will be between 220 and 250 shipped."

I am highly skeptical of someone who just joined and has zero standing in the Head-Fi community. Smells fishy to me.

May 18, 2011 at 1:16 AM Post #278 of 3,855
I'm getting kind of worried... Most people are saying the have less bass than the 840's but are more focused in the higher frequencies. To me, the 440 with 840 pads do this already but have an even stronger bottom end than the 840's with much more impact as well. I'm wondering if I made a mistake ordering them as I have always felt the 840's to be slightly on the lean side in the impact department.

May 18, 2011 at 1:34 AM Post #279 of 3,855

Quote:
So I got my 840 back from Shure (actually a brand new one).

Initial thoughts:

sorry this is off topic but how was shure customer support? just so i know what i am getting into if anything happens to my precious headphones.

May 18, 2011 at 1:35 AM Post #280 of 3,855

Quote:
I'm getting kind of worried... Most people are saying the have less bass than the 840's but are more focused in the higher frequencies. To me, the 440 with 840 pads do this already but have an even stronger bottom end than the 840's with much more impact as well. I'm wondering if I made a mistake ordering them as I have always felt the 840's to be slightly on the lean side in the impact department.

It's likely the impact situation is less than the 840.

Also, I'm wondering if leather pads will combat this by generating a tighter seal.  I think I am going to order some 840 pads and try them on the 940.  I've always been a fan of leather pads anyways

May 18, 2011 at 3:09 AM Post #281 of 3,855
Quote:

I wouldn't worry too much.  Most of the impressions are being made with very little to no burn-in, and from past experience with Shure's line, bass is one trait(mong a few others) that improves with burn-in.

May 18, 2011 at 3:11 AM Post #282 of 3,855
It's likely the impact situation is less than the 840.

Also, I'm wondering if leather pads will combat this by generating a tighter seal.  I think I am going to order some 840 pads and try them on the 940.  I've always been a fan of leather pads anyways
I wouldn't worry too much.  Most of the impressions are being made with very little to no burn-in, and from past experience with Shure's line, bass is one trait(mong a few others) that improves with burn-in.

You're probably right. I should trust Shure, they haven't let me down yet. As for the 840 pads, they did wonders for the 440's so I'm curious what they would do to the sound of the 940's. Guess I'll have to find out!

May 18, 2011 at 10:53 AM Post #284 of 3,855
I'm from Singapore, just to share some experience with Shure service center here.  I spoil my SRH840 driver once, and got replacement by Shure service center here with no question ask :)  Very happy with their service.

Eagerly waiting to try the SRH940 :)  I like the extra clarity, but I wish the bass at least stay as SRH840, not less.

May 18, 2011 at 11:03 AM Post #285 of 3,855

Quote:

My impression of SRH840 was opposite.  
tongue.gif
  They have a bit of a mid-bass hump to these ears and lack a little in treble extension and soundstage.  If 940 addresses these 3 points, they could be just right.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back