Shure SRH 940 impression and support thread
Mar 3, 2011 at 2:34 AM Post #196 of 3,855
Mar 3, 2011 at 7:08 PM Post #200 of 3,855
Mar 3, 2011 at 10:31 PM Post #201 of 3,855

Quote:
You may be in luck, eucariote.  Treble presence is increased, and extension improved, in the SRH-940, versus the SRH-840.  For my preferences, I'm not sure I prefer the treble boost (relative to the SRH-840) that came with the pre-production SRH-940 I have.

Any idea if the production SRH940 will be any different? Did Shure bother keeping you in the loop, after getting your feedback?

Quote:
You may be in luck, eucariote.  Treble presence is increased, and extension improved, in the SRH-940, versus the SRH-840.  For my preferences, I'm not sure I prefer the treble boost (relative to the SRH-840) that came with the pre-production SRH-940 I have.

I also don't know that the SRH-940 is going to be viewed universally as a step up over the SRH-840.  Like the HD600/650 thing--where some prefer one over the other--I think the pair of these SHUREs will be viewed similarly (not in terms of sonic signature pairs, only that it'll be a matter of preferences).

Mh, but still, preferences set aside, one model must be more neutral than the other. So which one would make for the better pair of monitoring headphones?

Quote:

I'm only now starting to do more comparisons between the two.  I tried to stick to the SRH-940, to let it stand on its own at first.

Only, since then, having read Jude's sacrilegious words, they kidnapped him, tortured him, and installed a mental block deep in his mind so that he'd never be able to dare more heretical comparisons.

Mar 5, 2011 at 6:27 PM Post #202 of 3,855

Quote:
It looks like maybe the wire routing to the cups is all internal now? That would be a major aesthetic/design improvement over the 840. Never can tell from promo pics though.

That is what it looks like to me as well. For me that will make it worth the wait for those to come out instead of going with the 840s. If they get snagged on something you run the risk of permanent damage to your phones, but these look more robust.

Today some official retailers have dropped the MSRP from $199.99 to about $129.99

http://www.shure.com/americas/news-events/coming-soon/srh940-professional-reference-headphones says the new product line should be out in Spring 2011.

Mar 5, 2011 at 9:44 PM Post #204 of 3,855
i just recently picked up the shure srh840 and i love them. i did a trade with the store for my shure srh750dj and got the srh840s in return. they were both the same price because the shure srh840 was on sale from 199.99 for 129.99. so i went for it. and i like the shure srh840 much better then the 750dj. but i am curious if there will be any significant improvement between the shure srh840 and the shure srh940. and do the shure srh840 need an amp?

Mar 16, 2011 at 9:09 AM Post #206 of 3,855
well,

very interesting headphone! I love my SRH-840, as it is the only headphone I really liked so far. I've tried many headphones for years. I've had AKG, Ultrasone, Sennheiser, Sony, Beyerdynamic and more... but this Shure was the only one to fully satisfy me. (allthough the AKG K701 was really nice too, but I had no gear to drive it properly).

I'm naturally very interested in this Headphone... But did I see it right that the MSRP is around 349$? That is a hell of a lot more expensive then the SRH-840....

Mar 17, 2011 at 3:31 AM Post #207 of 3,855
It's early to tell. I can see one store in Sweden who has listed the SRH 940. The price is about the same when the SRH 840 were new.  

Quote:
well,

very interesting headphone! I love my SRH-840, as it is the only headphone I really liked so far. I've tried many headphones for years. I've had AKG, Ultrasone, Sennheiser, Sony, Beyerdynamic and more... but this Shure was the only one to fully satisfy me. (allthough the AKG K701 was really nice too, but I had no gear to drive it properly).

I'm naturally very interested in this Headphone... But did I see it right that the MSRP is around 349$? That is a hell of a lot more expensive then the SRH-840....

Mar 17, 2011 at 3:11 PM Post #209 of 3,855

Quote:
yea when they sell its gonna be 199$ then itl prolly go down after 6months or a year :)

They're currently 299.  I am so curious, and kind of in the market for a new portable but 299 is probably too much.  If they dropped to 199 anytime soon I would certainly give these a shot.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back