Shure SRH 940 impression and support thread
Jan 18, 2011 at 9:33 AM Post #93 of 3,855
From the press release:

SRH940 Professional Reference Headphones

• Accurate frequency response for tight bass and smooth, high end extension with minimal distortion
• Collapsible, lightweight design with a premium padded headband that offers superior comfort and portability
• Accessories package that includes a threaded, quarter inch (6.3 mm) gold plated adapter, two detachable cables (straight and coiled), a replacement set of velour ear pads, and a zippered, hard travel case.

According to this video, they are also supposed to be lighter weight than the srh840s.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pyysS5carD4

Jan 18, 2011 at 9:36 AM Post #94 of 3,855
Do you think the velour pads will fit on the 840s? I would be very interested in seeing what they did for the 840s comfort and sound.

Jan 18, 2011 at 9:39 AM Post #96 of 3,855
@ Maximosa - I would guess so, they look the same size and I hope they'll sell the velour pads seperate, I want a pair for my 440's
biggrin.gif

The only way I'd buy these was if they changed the colour, petty I know but the silver just kills it for me.

Jan 18, 2011 at 9:46 AM Post #97 of 3,855

Quote:
@ Maximosa - I would guess so, they look the same size and I hope they'll sell the velour pads seperate, I want a pair for my 440's
biggrin.gif

As soon as this is confirmed I will order a pair of pads I think. Intrigued also by the straight cable, but the coil doesn't bother me as much as it does on my TMA-1s! 

Jan 18, 2011 at 9:55 AM Post #98 of 3,855
Yea I'm the same actually, I've never been bothered by the cable of the Shures (maybe because they're a heavier headphone) - But I had to replace the TMA's cable straight away
biggrin.gif

I'm intrigued by the pads though, just hope they aren't any more £ than the 840 pads, as I've got them on my 440's atm.

Jan 18, 2011 at 7:00 PM Post #100 of 3,855
The silver is ugly, and looks just as bulky, uncomfortable as the 840s. Loving the velour pads though

Jan 18, 2011 at 9:14 PM Post #102 of 3,855
The SRH 840 also comes with a spare pair of pads. When the 940 comes out, I'd be into swapping spares to see how the pleather and velour pads each perform.

Shure sells a straight cable for the 840, aftermarket. After a couple months wrestling the coiled cable every day, I gave up and bought the straight cable. Don't regret it much.

Jan 19, 2011 at 11:25 AM Post #103 of 3,855

Quote:
The SRH 840 also comes with a spare pair of pads. When the 940 comes out, I'd be into swapping spares to see how the pleather and velour pads each perform.

Shure sells a straight cable for the 840, aftermarket. After a couple months wrestling the coiled cable every day, I gave up and bought the straight cable. Don't regret it much.

what is it about the coiled cord thats annoying. i actually find it quite useful.

Jan 19, 2011 at 11:42 AM Post #104 of 3,855
Primarily, the coiled cable was unnecessary, since the amp is parked on my desk about 15 cm from my elbow. So the cable was unnecessary bulk that got in the way of things and knocked stuff off the desk.

The coiled cable is massive, too. It added perceptible weight to the headphones, and as you know these suckers are already kinda' heavy. I find The SRH 840 is a lot more comfortable without the coiled cable hanging off it.

The straight cable is also unnecessarily long for my purposes (around 2 meters), but since it's light and flexible I can drape it over papers and computer parts without dragging anything to the floor.

I don't have a beef with coiled cables on principle, but this one was a mismatch for my listening situation. Judging from the comments on head-fi, it sounds like most people are buying the SRH series phones for mobile/portable/workspace use. The straight cable should have been the default part and the coiled cable sold aftermarket.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back