Shure SRH 940 impression and support thread
Sep 17, 2011 at 3:35 PM Post #1,623 of 3,855
Funny. HD800 straight out of my Sony DAP sounded much, much better in every way than SRH940 out of the same DAP with the same music.

Sep 17, 2011 at 3:57 PM Post #1,624 of 3,855

It would be nice to get along if there weren't so many off topic posts about Tyll and non-940 things, and so many angry posts from unhappy members. If people here on the 940 thread have something valuable to contribute, like the test that one member recommended that scored a point for the HD800, that would help a lot.

Sep 17, 2011 at 4:05 PM Post #1,625 of 3,855

Quote:
It would be nice to get along if there weren't so many off topic posts about Tyll and non-940 things, and so many angry posts from unhappy members. If people here on the 940 thread have something valuable to contribute, like the test that one member recommended that scored a point for the HD800, that would help a lot.

I'm not for or against your comparisons of the HD 800's to the SRH940's (I've only briefly listened to the 800's for less than 5 minutes), but I do have a track to compare since I mentioned it on the last page.

"Ulysses" - Franz Ferdinand (I know it's not the most complicated track out there, but just for comparison's sake) how do the cymbals, bass guitar, and vocals compare on the two headphones? If you can, please list the source and amp you're using so that others can have an idea of your set-up.

I'm currently using my SRH940 on my Macbook, using VLC to play a FLAC version of the song.

Thanks

Sep 17, 2011 at 4:29 PM Post #1,626 of 3,855

Quote:
Funny. HD800 straight out of my Sony DAP sounded much, much better in every way than SRH940 out of the same DAP with the same music.

Maybe this sony DAP is not that good.  I wouldn't dismiss too fast the srh940, I would experiment with a different source (preferably the cleanest one). I got an impressive amount of details out of a xonar stx;  but the details are probably smeared too easily, if the source is not that good. The srh940  have its own specificity ,  I'm not sure these hd800 vs srh940 comparisons are much instructive.

Sep 17, 2011 at 4:43 PM Post #1,627 of 3,855
I'm not for or against your comparisons of the HD 800's to the SRH940's (I've only briefly listened to the 800's for less than 5 minutes), but I do have a track to compare since I mentioned it on the last page.

"Ulysses" - Franz Ferdinand (I know it's not the most complicated track out there, but just for comparison's sake) how do the cymbals, bass guitar, and vocals compare on the two headphones? If you can, please list the source and amp you're using so that others can have an idea of your set-up.

I'm currently using my SRH940 on my Macbook, using VLC to play a FLAC version of the song.

Thanks

I'm on it - thanx for the tip.

Sep 17, 2011 at 4:45 PM Post #1,628 of 3,855
Heya,

Are we even talking about the SRH940 any more? Or are we just talking about people's clubs and good old boy crews? eCred measurements? Should we just meet up and measure members & compare wives? Lol.

If someone wants an easy to drive, comfortable, private (closed) headphone that is absolutely brilliant for female vocals and acoustic (as well as things like female opera), the SRH940 is simply superb, especially coming in at under $300 quite often now (I'm finding it for $275 here and there, less when a deal is going, it was $245 at Headphones.com a while back thanks to Head-Fi discount, etc). I bought my second pair for $200 from another HeadFi member after I returned my first pair which I bought at full retail (to save $100 which I of course then bought more headphones with, yay!).

It's not an HD800. The comparison is misquoted and quite misleading. Aspects of it are equal to some high-ends. But not in entirety. This can be true of many non-high-end headphones. If the SRH940 was made of aluminum/steel, instead of plastic, and had a little more bass neutrality as it approaches 30hz, it would be a high-end. I personally did not like how light the bass is in the SRH940 (nor the K701). I'm very inclined towards bass, so this is my bias. Some however seem to be totally good with the bass of the SRH940 (surprised me actually). It's fair to compare aspects of the SRH940 to something that is high-end. It's not fair to compare them as a total headphone, as they're not competitors.

And if the SRH940 is not great for someone, that's ok, there's always someone who likes and dislikes a headphone regardless of what it is for some reason.

It would certainly be nice to have some higher quality conversation here, and less chest pounding over who's eCred is more valued. Why is it so hard for people to have respect for each other, while not agreeing on something?

Very best,

Sep 17, 2011 at 5:37 PM Post #1,629 of 3,855
Just as an update, as I mentioned I would, the 940's are pretty good for gaming. I'm not a serious hard-core gamer, but for Team Fortress 2, Spiral Knights, and Portal 2, they were pretty decent. I haven't had major gaming headphones before, but the explosions and where people were walking (if you know what I mean) sounded decent with the 940's.

Sep 17, 2011 at 6:29 PM Post #1,633 of 3,855

Quote:
I think I'm just going to have to do a Shure 840/940 review now.

But don't you already have a strong opinion on which one you think sounds better? Do you think it would simply further enhance what you previously said in one sentence? Or do you think it would actually become a fair objective comparison between the flagship of its line and it's middle brother, which will result by default, the winner being the SRH840? Or could it possibly be that there's a chance the SRH940 could best a comparison?

Very best,

Sep 17, 2011 at 6:38 PM Post #1,634 of 3,855

Quote:

But don't you already have a strong opinion on which one you think sounds better? Do you think it would simply further enhance what you previously said in one sentence? Or do you think it would actually become a fair objective comparison between the flagship of its line and it's middle brother, which will result by default, the winner being the SRH840? Or could it possibly be that there's a chance the SRH940 could best a comparison?

Very best,

Sure I have a fairly strong opinion of which sounds better, I've heard them both at the same time numerous times.

And sure it's fair to compare the two because people are interested, and they're buying the 940 just because it's more expensive and people assume it must be better than the 840.

Also, I get lots of folks who view InnerFidelity and the InnerFidelity YouTube channel that are not hobbyists and are not aware of what I might say in these threads. So yeah, I'd like to weigh in on the two product and let people know what I think. That's my job.

No, I don't think there's a chance the 940 will best it. I've heard them and think the 940 was a dissapointment.  I talked to Todd at TTVJ when he heard them and he said he was dissapointed.  All the sales guys at HeadRoom think they're not as good as the 840. I like the 840 and think it's one of the better choices in it's class ... the 940 not so much. 

Sep 17, 2011 at 6:42 PM Post #1,635 of 3,855
Sure I have a fairly strong opinion of which sounds better, I've heard them both at the same time numerous times.

And sure it's fair to compare the two because people are interested, and they're buying the 940 just because it's more expensive and people assume it must be better than the 840.

Also, I get lots of folks who view InnerFidelity and the InnerFidelity YouTube channel that are not hobbyists and are not aware of what I might say in these threads. So yeah, I'd like to weigh in on the two product and let people know what I think. That's my job.

No, I don't think there's a chance the 940 will best it. I've heard them and think the 940 was a dissapointment.  I talked to Todd at TTVJ when he heard them and he said he was dissapointed.  All the sales guys at HeadRoom think they're not as good as the 840. I like the 840 and think it's one of the better choices in it's class ... the 940 not so much. 

Tyll, please take pictures of the drivers and the inside of the cups and tell us if you've come to any similar observations that I've shown in this thread previously. Thanks.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back