Shure SRH 940 impression and support thread
Sep 16, 2011 at 7:56 PM Post #1,576 of 3,855
Team Delicious and Juicy Sound needs to bust a cap! 
biggrin.gif

I looked up bust a cap and it refers to shooting something with a gun. Sounds really bad.

Sep 16, 2011 at 7:56 PM Post #1,577 of 3,855

Quote:
Well, I must ask if you used a good EQ, and which one ? I use DMG equality, because it was praised in the forum kvraudio. And also because it's relatively recent.

Equaliser app on the ipod - which is surprisingly decent, and a couple of different equaliser plugins in Foobar.  Don't get me wrong, it definitely helped - but in the end I'm a plug and go person.  Overall the 940 signature didn't suit me.  The DT880 does - although a lot of people find it boring - so it was easier just to move on and find something new.  Ultimately I'd like to have no more than 2-3 headphones, so I'm continually looking for something that does everything well.

Sep 16, 2011 at 8:03 PM Post #1,578 of 3,855

Quote:
You forgot part of this. You should have said "I offered an olive branch with embedded accusations."

No - it was actually a genuine olive branch.  First I pointed out that you were also deliberately baiting people with your writing style, exactly what you were accusing other of.  Then I suggested we start again - but accept that everyone has different views.  You chose to read something into that and reject my approach.

FWIW - try rereading everything I wrote - but do it with no emotion, and don't introduce any bias (ie get rid of the chip on your shoulder).  Then you'll see it was simply an "olive branch" - offer of peace.

You can choose to accept or reject - it makes absolutely no difference to me.

Sep 16, 2011 at 8:05 PM Post #1,579 of 3,855

Quote:

This thread is very active.

Not sure if I should avoid the 940 because it's controversial, or accept the controversy is because it sounds like a $1000 headphone priced at $300?

I'm sure there'll be lot of love & hate regarding this headphone. We'll read first the love, because after all it's the top of the line of shure closed headphone, and the people that spent 250$ or more, and have no experience with other headphone will feel forced to think they are great. Then logically the headphone will be recommended a lot, and then the haters will be less and less shy. Just like what happened to the k701.
I'd say if you were impressed first , then probably they are good for you. Use a good source.

Sep 16, 2011 at 8:16 PM Post #1,580 of 3,855
deadhorse.gif
 What happened to this thread? LOL I just opened it up and there it is... 5 pages arguing hahaha

Too many off-topic posts about $10 speakers and bananas. I wish we could stick to the glorious 940, but even the heavyweights like Hertsens dropped in to bash the 940 here. Not very civil IMO.

There is a huge difference between critiquing gear and personal attacks. One makes this place interesting and the other is totally not cool.

Sep 16, 2011 at 8:23 PM Post #1,581 of 3,855

Quote:
I'm sure there'll be lot of love & hate regarding this headphone. We'll read first the love, because after all it's the top of the line of shure closed headphone, and the people that spent 250$ or more, and have no experience with other headphone will feel forced to think they are great. Then logically the headphone will be recommended a lot, and then the haters will be less and less shy. Just like what happened to the k701.
I'd say if you were impressed first , then probably they are good for you. Use a good source.

Very bad example.

SRH-940 is a good headphone.

K701 is a bad headphone.

Sep 16, 2011 at 8:26 PM Post #1,584 of 3,855

Quote:

Very bad example.

SRH-940 is a good headphone.

K701 is a bad headphone.

Grrr, I guess you missed my earlier post in this thread, but I digress.  Do pray tell, why did you not find the K701 to your liking?

Sep 16, 2011 at 8:27 PM Post #1,585 of 3,855

Quote:

You'd see countless posts raving about the k701. Some claiming it's the best you can get just before the hd800.

True but they are mostly anime lovers from Japan that know nothing about headphones and paid $500 for the k701's.

Sep 16, 2011 at 8:30 PM Post #1,586 of 3,855

Quote:
Grrr, I guess you missed my earlier post in this thread, but I digress.  Do pray tell, why did you not find the K701 to your liking?

At the time I owned the Sony SA-5000, so I was comparing k701 to SA-5000.

I thought the k701 had a nice liquidy smooth sound, but the cast magnesium and real leather pads on the SA-5000 just made it look like crap piece of plastic with carpet ear muffs, and the SA-5000 offered slightly higher detail retrieval and clarity.

Sep 16, 2011 at 8:37 PM Post #1,587 of 3,855

Quote:

At the time I owned the Sony SA-5000, so I was comparing k701 to SA-5000.

I thought the k701 had a nice liquidy smooth sound, but the cast magnesium and real leather pads on the SA-5000 just made it look like crap piece of plastic with carpet ear muffs, and the SA-5000 offered slightly higher detail retrieval and clarity.

But the SA-5000  have an awful bass isn't it ? At least that's  what I've deduced by looking at the square response  at innerfidelity. There 's thread , where people are ranking headphones by preference, and I  saw a post of someone selling all his headphone after testing the sa-5000 (I'm wondering if it's not you). So what did you find better than the sa-5000 for selling them ?

Sep 16, 2011 at 8:41 PM Post #1,588 of 3,855

Quote:
[...]So what did you find better than the sa-5000 for selling them ?

That wasn't me.

I went from SA-5000 to STAX, then from STAX to A2000X.

Now... I want to go from A2000X to TESLA.

However... I still miss certain moments with the SA-5000.

and, awful bass?!? lol... the SA-5000 is a little bit bass light, but it has amazing bass, you can feel it resonate in the leather earpads.

Sep 16, 2011 at 8:48 PM Post #1,589 of 3,855
Quote:
The acoustics inside the HD 800 cups are pretty stellar from what I can see in the measurements and hear.  I woud say they are probably the most accurate, and best imaging dynamic headphones out there. I don't know where you're getting the idea that the HD 800 has poor acoustics from, but it's a bad source.

The Shure 940 is a poor sounding headphone, IMO. The 840 outperforms it easily, again, IMO.

Saying they sound similar is one of the weirder things I've read here.

Yes! I knew I wasn't crazy. SRH840 sounds fuller, warmer, richer than the SRH940, while hardly giving up any technical ability, if at all vs. the SRH940. I'll have take back my earlier comment about SRH840 having grainy treble too, and unnatural mids and slightly boomy bass. All those problems pretty much disappear after just a bit of burn in - an hour or two. Silly me. It now competes just fine with my RE0, as expected. Overall, maybe a little behind the RE272 and FX700 though. But damn,. the dynamic range and smoothness of the sound on the SRH840 is epic. I didn't feel the SRH940 is as smooth sounding as the 840.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back