Shure SRH-940 Crack and their service!
Jul 31, 2015 at 9:40 PM Post #136 of 164
Hi!

On the arch crack problem:

I bought a SRH940 in 2011, 1 year later, not using it very much and I got cracks on the left side. After a couple months it completely broke. It was under warranty, Shure replaced the headphone.
I haven't had used it much but I had to use it every day for the past 3 months and guess what? It crackled on the same spot, multiple cracks until it broke completely. Now without warranty.

Did anyone manage to get a replacement or a better headphone from them without having to pay? I read here someone saying that maybe they should do it since it is their design error...

This is all very stupid since I have a $100 Sennheiser that doesn't sound quite as good but is basically unbreakable since the arch is made of metal pieces. Well done Shure...

Thoughts?

Thanks, cheers!

Jul 22, 2016 at 6:14 AM Post #140 of 164
Quote:

finally my customized srh940 are finished. work was done by a fellow member from german hifi-forum.de

no more headband worries!

Thanks for that! I don't have the srh940, but from all I can read they seem to be exactly what I am looking for. The headband issue being a major reason not to get them. I wish Shure would make some headphones with the same build as srh1540, but with the sound of the srh940!

Modding the srh940 seems to be the only way to get what I want. I was thinking of buying a pair of (inexpensive) Kingston Hyper X Cloud to use that headband in conjunction with the srh940 phones. The Kingston Hyper X Cloud have oval ear cups like the srh940 and therefore seem to be a better and less expensive alternative to bayerdynamic headbands, which are made for circular ear cups. Can anyone here measure the width needed for the "forks" holding the srh940 ear cups? My son has a pair of the Kingston Hyper X Cloud, so I've been able to measure those myself: 79.5 mm (the oval ear cup measures 76x96 mm).

Jul 22, 2016 at 4:32 PM Post #142 of 164
  Hi,
I just measured it, hope it's helpful.

Wow, thank you very much! It is quite a bit smaller than the oval on the Kingston Hyper Cloud X then: 76-60,5=15,5 mm on the short axis and 96-80,4=15,6 mm on the long axis - that would mean a gap of about 15.6/2 = 7.8 mm. I was hoping for a better (closer) fit. The 79.5 mm measurement I provided is the gap between the "fork-ends" which is slightly bigger than the oval of the ear cup (a few mm tolerance on both sides).

I don't have a big head (the NAD ViSO HP50 is too big for me when it is fully retracted), so I probably wouldn't have to extend the srh940 much. Would that mean it is less likely to develop cracks and finally break? Is there any consensus about that?

Aug 3, 2016 at 3:45 PM Post #143 of 164
I noticed on Shure's UK homepage that they call this headphone "SRH940 Reference Studio Headphones II" - note the "II" at the end! I can't seem to find any information on how the "II" differs from the original version. Could it be (I so wish!) they've finally done something about the poor plastic construction of the headband? Does anybody know anything about this? Further down on the page (where they link to sellers) they call it SRH940-EFS... ???

PS.
Also on the EU-homepage they refer to the 940's as "SRH940 Reference Studio Headphones II", but on the US-homepage there is no "II" at the end of the model name.

Aug 5, 2016 at 10:08 AM Post #144 of 164
Hi seethelight,

no I dont think the II version has better durability. I own two (the older version with slightly curved earcups) and the newer (with flat earcups, i think its the II version) and both are cracked at the headband.
Because of that I can't image they did something about the weakpoints of the headband.

About you earlier question:
I'm not s(h)ure :-D, but I don't belive it would make some difference.

Aug 5, 2016 at 1:46 PM Post #145 of 164
Thanks again Extorsivo! I contacted Shure EU about the Roman numeral II and about the the headband issue. The guy I communicated with said the II was pure marketing and that there was no difference. Regarding the headband issue he claimed they had improved the build quality after becoming aware of the problem, but had not added the II to the name at that point.

Oct 10, 2016 at 12:24 AM Post #146 of 164
I have had the same headphone band crack problem recently. Shure was no help since I am out of warranty. I have srh840 headphones and I removed the broken parts by removing 4 screws and using J-B Weld to repair the crack. I will update later on how well this works. The adhesive takes 24 hours to cure before it can be put to use.

Feb 9, 2017 at 8:52 AM Post #148 of 164
I have had the same headphone band crack problem recently. Shure was no help since I am out of warranty. I have srh840 headphones and I removed the broken parts by removing 4 screws and using J-B Weld to repair the crack. I will update later on how well this works. The adhesive takes 24 hours to cure before it can be put to use.

i got the same problem as yours. so how was it using j-b weld? did it last? is it strong enough?

Oct 18, 2017 at 10:48 AM Post #149 of 164
Hey people.

My SRH940 have cracked recently.

The bummer? I've had them for 5 years and haven't used them at all! Only tested them at first, and I wanted to sell them now, so I used them for a few days - and they cracked.

I got an offer from the service center for a fix or to purchase a replacement headband.

But I'm wondering if it's not possible to say, buy a headband from someone who has them cracked on the left side (and bought a full replacement band) and frankeinstein a solution out of that? Anyone tried it?

Oct 29, 2017 at 11:13 PM Post #150 of 164
Hi guys,

here my new repair option for Shure SRH 940.
I used the headband of an Bluedio F2.

20171029_212251.jpg
20171029_212150.jpg
20171029_212125.jpg
20171029_212102.jpg
20171027_183618.jpg

Attachments

• 20171024_211241.jpg
    20171024_211241.jpg
    671.5 KB · Views: 0

Users who are viewing this thread

Back