Shure SRH-940 Crack and their service!
May 3, 2014 at 1:38 AM Post #106 of 164
  Its funny cause Shure just keeps producing these unchanged, as flawed as they are. Like they cant care less that they sell 300 dollar headphones that will break within a month of use.
Shure won't get my money for a loooooong time that's for shure

Yes Shure can not be bother to do a engineering change to strengthen the headband while they are still being made. Mine broke after one year.  I thought about the Shure SRH1440 but even that is all plastic. The Shure SRH1840 may last longer but the whole attitude puts me off.

May 12, 2014 at 11:26 AM Post #107 of 164
id like to ask... if the headband is broken, can we buy the headband only... how much does it cost and can we DIY it or is it compulsory to send to Shure SC?

there's no Shure SC where i live so i hv to ship it to another country, it's easier to just buy the headband if it's possible... >_<

May 25, 2014 at 1:30 PM Post #108 of 164
  I have both headphones and I find my T70 is a bit more mellow balanced as compared to my 940. Not only the T70 have better quality of plastics but also use a thick metal fork to hold the cups. Another big advantage of the T70 is that the sound isolation is much better. The headband is a bit more comfortable as well.

i've auditioned both... but not at the same time so i couldn't A/B it... my budget is quite tight, and i'm leaning towards shure 940 more based on memory... it sounded similar but shure 940 sounds just a touch more sparkly.. if that even makes any sense.

but the pad in the head is not comfy... while t70p after a while you forget you're wearing headphones.... shure 940 i can get for $370 while T70 i can get for $530... the more i spend on headphones the less i could spend on dac/amp...

for my sound preferences, the only aspect that beyer t70p wins over shure 940 is it's design. its build like a tank. and sound isolation too. but i sort of feel like im wasting money on things i barely can afford if i get a $530 headphones that sounded similar to a $370. then again.. shure 940 and crack headband... i'd feel more of an idiot if after 3 months... the shure 940 break hehe...

so can anybody here help me which one do you think i should get...?

cheers...

May 25, 2014 at 2:17 PM Post #109 of 164
Another headphone I would also recommended is the Sony 7520. It has a bit more flatter midrange, strong bass capability, very clear sound and can handle quite a bit of power and volume. The Sony is a bit more comfortable than the Shure 940  but not quite as compared to my T70. The Sony is certainly more durable that the 940 unless maybe the Shure 1840 but that is open style and costs more. The Sony 7520 is a bit cheaper in USA than the T70 and the Shure 1840 and may be an option for you.

Jul 19, 2014 at 9:10 AM Post #110 of 164
So my SRH940s also have cracked. Luckily I had 1 month left on the 2 year warranty so I just sent them in and expect a new package back in a week. When I get these back I plan on selling them due to worries of them cracking again.

I am trying to find a comparable headphone with a metal headband. Some of the headphones I have looked online at include : V Moda M100 for their crazy strong headband but I don't want the bass head feel, so those are out. The NAD VISO HP50 I am not considering but am not sure if they were be detailed and as airy as the SRH940s.

I could keep listing headphones but what I'd like to know is if anyone has a solid recommendation of a highly detailed and analytically closed back headphone that has the same open headphone feel of the SRH940s.

Thanks in advanced.

P.S If anyone knows of a fool proof mod to replace the headband on the SRH940s to something like the M100, that would be possibly better then a new set.

Jul 19, 2014 at 12:17 PM Post #111 of 164
I am quite convinced that the Shure SRH940s are the best in this price range (below $500) and maybe even above.
From what I can see they are remarkably close in sound signature to Beyerdynamic T1 and SENN HD850. Probably not as refined but fantastic and they really outdo themselves in resolution and character - very rare in my opinion to have such theatrical ability in a pair of headphones.
So if you are a fan of these, as I am, hold on to them - at least until you hear a set of headphones that sound better, as I am doing. But that might be a while before you get a pair as good.
At the moment I have these plus the Mad-dogs(nearly twice the price), AKG 550s and Akai MPC. All very impressive sounding but none as good as the Shures - absolutely not!
Long term I will probably retro-fit a headband like the Beyerdynamics (covered elsewhere on this forum). And actually with a nice neat headband they would make a very good portable headphone - the velvet pads being nice and cool on walk-about.
So overall. I think Shure have actually undersold these cans.
And who cares about having to replace an old headband. Get out the soldering iron - it will be well worth it.

Jul 19, 2014 at 2:58 PM Post #112 of 164
  I am quite convinced that the Shure SRH940s are the best in this price range (below $500) and maybe even above.
From what I can see they are remarkably close in sound signature to Beyerdynamic T1 and SENN HD850. Probably not as refined but fantastic and they really outdo themselves in resolution and character - very rare in my opinion to have such theatrical ability in a pair of headphones.
So if you are a fan of these, as I am, hold on to them - at least until you hear a set of headphones that sound better, as I am doing. But that might be a while before you get a pair as good.
At the moment I have these plus the Mad-dogs(nearly twice the price), AKG 550s and Akai MPC. All very impressive sounding but none as good as the Shures - absolutely not!
Long term I will probably retro-fit a headband like the Beyerdynamics (covered elsewhere on this forum). And actually with a nice neat headband they would make a very good portable headphone - the velvet pads being nice and cool on walk-about.
And who cares about having to replace an old headband. Get out the soldering iron - it will be well worth it.

post a step by step when you do it please....

i never have any experience tearing down headphones or use a solder iron... but shure 940 actually sounds amazingly good

Jul 19, 2014 at 11:44 PM Post #113 of 164

I think I will keep them after all. I have done probably over 20+ hours of research to find a replacement and can not. That tells me something. I did the right research when I decided to buy them the first time. These headphones are absolutely amazing and to my ears have no flaws.

If/when I mod these I'll give a great step by step with photos and such. 

Any suggestions to get the headbands to live longer though? I'm thinking thick elastic bands around the joints to stop the cracking.

Jul 20, 2014 at 9:19 AM Post #114 of 164
Yes - the first day I got these cans I had already read about the cracking problem. So I added plastic tie-wraps to help reinforce them. I posted photos elsewhere on the forum. Black tie-wraps don't look so bad. Clip them neatly with a scissors. These add two benefits - first they strenghten the side hindges and also they can be used to reduce the tension on the ear pads. This makes it much more comfortable and actually I don't understand why more manufacturers don't install an adjustable tension cable across the outside of the headband in order to release ear pressure.
So I have my SRH950 like this a year now with constant use and there is no sign of any cracks or damage. Of course the headband design just looks awful in my opinion and so I look foreward to replacing it with a nicer, neater one, sometime in the future.
But the oval cups are terrific and the sound is bliss.
You can be without anything in your Headphone collection but don 't be without your SRH940s !!
Meantime the search continues for a better sounding closed can but right now, for me, these are the champions of the streets.

Jul 21, 2014 at 1:26 PM Post #115 of 164
Yes - the first day I got these cans I had already read about the cracking problem. So I added plastic tie-wraps to help reinforce them. I posted photos elsewhere on the forum. Black tie-wraps don't look so bad. Clip them neatly with a scissors. These add two benefits - first they strenghten the side hindges and also they can be used to reduce the tension on the ear pads. This makes it much more comfortable and actually I don't understand why more manufacturers don't install an adjustable tension cable across the outside of the headband in order to release ear pressure.

So I have my SRH950 like this a year now with constant use and there is no sign of any cracks or damage. Of course the headband design just looks awful in my opinion and so I look foreward to replacing it with a nicer, neater one, sometime in the future.

But the oval cups are terrific and the sound is bliss.

You can be without anything in your Headphone collection but don 't be without your SRH940s !!

Meantime the search continues for a better sounding closed can but right now, for me, these are the champions of the streets.

do you rmmbr on which thread you posted the photos of the plastic tie-wraps you do...?

Jul 21, 2014 at 2:40 PM Post #117 of 164
Yes - 2 pages back on this thread you will see the photos with the cable ties. These only cost about $1 and are a great improvement.
Occasionally a cable tie breaks and I replace it. Only takes 2 minutes to do. You can remove them any time with a scissors. No surgery required.

Jul 21, 2014 at 3:41 PM Post #118 of 164
Copied from a PM i sent to someone on how to a complete berydynamic headband sugery on your SRH940:

Beyerdynamic DT770headband required:
Lego that looks like this http://shop.lego.com/en-US/Pick-A-Brick-ByTheme and enter element ID 4514553
And you also need small really hard metal pieces to clamp it down in place, also you need a really sharp x-acto knife to trim down the beyer headband's hooks to fit the lego pieces inside. (it's a square) Be careful not to carve out too much! 

also firstly what you have to do is buy a beyerdynamic DT770 headband (my friend did the ordering and i'm sure it would be different from region to region. And also the lego piece, 4 of them.

Then once the material has come you have to carefully disassemble your SRH940 and to take out the earcups (take out the earpads by just pulling it our from the sides, then unscrew the 3 screws on the driver housing and don't let the screws fall into your driver!) then take it out and remove the metal braces from the back of the earcup, now you need to unscrew 4 more screws for the earcup to split where the hinge axle is, allowing you to take the earcup from the headband
and then you have 2 options, break the wires from the drivers that connect both sides together then solder it back together (you need to know how to solder and also risk melting parts of your driver housing if you are not careful, also be aware of the polarity of the wires) or you can cut up the entire headband to remove both earcups and drivers with the connecting wires still intact (warning, second option is pretty hard too having need to cut up the entire headband's interlocked plastic joints which took me 8 hours and a pair of sore hands to do, unless you have more powerful tools but you have to be careful not to cut the wire either)  

After that you have to assemble your beyer headband (which shoudn't be too hard, needs phillips screw driver)
then you have to carve the beyer headband's holders into a squareish shape so it can fit the lego pieces, but just carve enough that it can fit snugly, work slowly and try to fit it often. For the earcup themselves fortunately the lego piece is the exact same dimensions as the original hinge axles (though the lego is hollow, you need to plug it up with some sort of filler like a screw, some tape, anything you can find that is not too rubbery, or you can leave a hole and have more bass, also they have a ridge on them, make sure the ridge is facing outwards away from the earcup) then assemble your eacup back together with the axles in place , also you need some sort of spacers to hold you earcup dead center for pressure distribution, i used the jewellery wire to wind around the lego piece, both act as spacers and to wrap around the part where the lego piece connects to the beyerdynamic headband so that the lego piece doesn't break after a while. The wires you need to run them though the headband though, fortunately the headband padding is removable, i suggest you to wrap tape around them so that they do not slide around and leave enough slack on both ends so that at maximum extension the wires are almost void of slack but no tension. Also optionally you could put some form/acrylic tape padding at the top of the arc where the earcup sits so that the metal earcup holders do not crash into the plastic shure earcups.

(you can see how the wire is wrapped around the lego piece till the very edge)

Well... hope this helps, best of luck!

Jul 24, 2014 at 6:11 PM Post #119 of 164
Just got my replacement headphones back. Very happy. Sending them there and getting them back took exactly 7 days (including weekend).

I noticed that the date of the sticker on the bottom of the box is 2012, so still no slight revision as my last pair was bought in 2012.

Jul 25, 2014 at 3:28 AM Post #120 of 164
These headphones sound so good I am actually considering getting a second pair. I don't relish the day when Shure stop making them. I suspect they have been a good earner for the company despite headband issues. If we wanted to replace their sound quality, what would we be left with?  Much has been made of SHR1540s but alltough I did not hear those I did a little experiment on the SHR940s by filling out the earpads with cotton wool. This moved everything to the left of the spectrum - deeper base but those sparkling highs were gone. I suspect the SRH1540s sounds a little like that - might be nice but maybe not a replacement for the 940s.. especially at the price. Plus the 940s are quite portable.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back