Shure SRH-940 Crack and their service!
Oct 2, 2013 at 9:50 AM Post #91 of 164
So, I'll just share with the rest of you how I did it.
First you have to go to Beyerdynamics GERMAN website.
(http://www.beyerdynamic.de/shop/hah/ersatzteile.html?price=20000%2C20001)
And add the following items to your shopping list:

These are the items that could be used on this SRH940 mod.
Now to the annoying part: you have to order it to someone in Germany, and get someone in Germany to send it to you. OR find a Beyerdynamic re-seller in your country (can be found on their homepage). Anyway, now you don't have to do lotsa research about which parts you'll be needing for this project.

Jan 8, 2014 at 5:31 PM Post #92 of 164
Has there been any improvement in (plastic/build) quality over the life time of these cans? I just both pair made in Mar 2013 and wonder if I need to start stocking spare parts directly.  :wink: BTW I'm blown away by sound quality of these babies, my old Grado SR60 headphones has just retired!

Mar 28, 2014 at 7:39 AM Post #93 of 164
Just sold mine... will miss them dearly, but then the worry I constantly have with the potential crack and the spare parts are gone with it. The Momentum is very good, it does work well during my travels and although the sound is less to my liking than the 940s... it works.

Mar 28, 2014 at 1:22 PM Post #94 of 164
I've had the same problem.

Within a year I've had 3 pairs of these all break the same way. 

I'd rather not deal with this anymore and didn't even want to give the 3rd pair a try but nothing else the store had came close to the sound. It's a real shame that they couldn't have just made a simple band. All the joints are pointless to me and what makes it so prone to breaking.

It's also annoying that talking to Shure, they seem to want to blame me as the culprit even though the problem is entirely on their side. I'm not rough on these things at all, they sit at my desk all day long. They break entirely from the putting on and taking off of the headphones.

I've been a reader of these forums for a long time and never posted, but my experience with these is just so frustrating I had to post. 

I've had a pair of Senn HD650s for 7 years and never once had a problem with them. The only reason I have the Shure's is because they are closed and I could listen to them louder without disturbing my work mates. Such a frustrating thing to have headphones sound so good and the most mundane part break so easily.

I'd love for those two guys that modified their bands with another band to create a YouTube video or instructions on how to do it. I'd happily give that a go if I'm forced to try the Shure's for a 4th time (they are in the process of shipping me a replacement as we speak - but I'm debating on swapping in store for something else, just don't have much hope that the store has anything better).

Mar 29, 2014 at 3:45 PM Post #95 of 164

I'd love for those two guys that modified their bands with another band to create a YouTube video or instructions on how to do it. I'd happily give that a go if I'm forced to try the Shure's for a 4th time (they are in the process of shipping me a replacement as we speak - but I'm debating on swapping in store for something else, just don't have much hope that the store has anything better).

This I would love as well!!^ 

Mar 29, 2014 at 3:46 PM Post #96 of 164
How's Shure on their warranty for these cracks? If you just send them 940 with a broken headband, do they repair them and send you a new one no question asked? 

I gotta send mine soon before my warranty ends and might have to sell them :frowning2: My head size is just too big for these cans to handle I guess 

Mar 31, 2014 at 2:33 AM Post #98 of 164
Its funny cause Shure just keeps producing these unchanged, as flawed as they are. Like they cant care less that they sell 300 dollar headphones that will break within a month of use.
Shure won't get my money for a loooooong time that's for shure

Apr 20, 2014 at 7:21 PM Post #100 of 164
Hi Passburger, thanks so much for posting the replacement parts list!
I had the same cracking problem and would love to try to repair the SRH940 using these parts.

I wonder however about a couple of things, eg. how to remove the cans and the wiring.
Would it be possible to post some description on how to get this done please?
A picture of the end-result would also help.

Much appreciated!

Apr 27, 2014 at 9:23 AM Post #101 of 164
  Hi Passburger, thanks so much for posting the replacement parts list!
I had the same cracking problem and would love to try to repair the SRH940 using these parts.

I wonder however about a couple of things, eg. how to remove the cans and the wiring.
Would it be possible to post some description on how to get this done please?
A picture of the end-result would also help.

Much appreciated!

Hey,
I'm sorry for my absence.
I kinda put that project on ice for a while because one of the german mail services (Hermes) managed to get one of my parts lost and I haven't heard from them since. So I just took a break until the frustration went away.
Now grieving aside, the reason why haven't contributed any further to this thread is because there's still something missing for me to get it all done. Something that Sofastreamer's friend managed to do. Those little metal pipes that he has between the monitors and the actual headband clamps. If you have a look at his headphones you'll a little silver pipe helping hold the monitors into place. That's what I have to get sorted somehow, when I do, I'll have a go at building the frankenphones and try documenting it for the rest of you.
It would also be helpful if his friend or someone could tell us how he managed to manufacture those metal pipes.

Apr 27, 2014 at 5:53 PM Post #102 of 164
I managed to do it with lego for my friend and it works fine. Although the metal fittings would probably provide a smoother and higher quality fitting.
(assuming you are indeed talking about the pipes that connect the beyer headband yoke to the earcups themselves)

Apr 30, 2014 at 11:53 AM Post #104 of 164
Just wanted to add that today I received my headphones back fully repaired under warranty (without cost) by Shure's service center in Germany. It only took 5 days from my shipment to get the set back (I live in Germany). Therefore I am very satisfied with Shure's service and support.

Apr 30, 2014 at 10:51 PM Post #105 of 164
Glad to hear that! Now to hope it doesn't break again on you again...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back