Shure SRH 440 hurting my ears!
Dec 21, 2009 at 6:44 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

Digital Felon

New Head-Fier
I got a pair of 440's and they KILL my outer ears within 45 mins-1 hours, is there any way to make them more comfortable?

Dec 21, 2009 at 7:11 PM Post #2 of 11
I haven't tried it yet myself, but the SRH840's replacement cushions fit the SRH440 and from what I've read are supposed to be softer and more comfortable than the stock 440 cushions.

Dec 21, 2009 at 9:39 PM Post #4 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by Folex /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Sell them and get a pair of Denon 2000s.

Listen to this post, for it is wise.

Shure 440/840 are GREAT in terms of quality, pretty poor in terms of comfort.

Dec 25, 2009 at 3:17 AM Post #5 of 11
That is very odd. I got these as a Christmas gift and I have already worn them for several hours without any sign of discomfort and I am even wearing glasses. Might head size affect for my head isn´t on the small side?

Dec 25, 2009 at 3:31 AM Post #6 of 11
I too think this is a subjective thing, depending upon personal ergonomics and what not.

I find the SR840's to be quite lovely to wear. They fully enclose my ear and the padding is exceptionally comfortable. I recorded/monitored four hours of bands at a night club a few weeks ago with the 840's and I was loving them ...

Perhaps try some of the 840 pads as already suggested?

Jan 1, 2010 at 10:33 PM Post #7 of 11
Personally, I'm fine with my SRH440s as most of the weight is centered on the top of my head, and they don't clamp too strongly. The only real problem I have is that they tend to get quite hot and itchy after a while, but that's to be expected anyways. And I wear glasses too - thick acetate frames, at that.

Still, comfort, like audio, is subjective. I think it depends on whether your ears are small enough to be fully enclosed by the earcups or not. Obviously if there's any ear between the pads and your head, the combined clamping force and weight of the headphones will be pretty uncomfortable, regardless of which circumaural headphones you're using. However, the pads of the 440s are quite stiff compared to other circumaural 'phones I've used. The SRH840s' pads, which are reportedly much softer, will probably go a long way towards alleviating this.

Jan 1, 2010 at 10:48 PM Post #8 of 11
How about the famous words of, "Suck it up princess".

To most they are extremely comfortable. If they aren't for you, then sell them and move on.
smily_headphones1.gif

Jan 2, 2010 at 12:08 AM Post #9 of 11
I demoed a pair of 440s and 840s. The 440s have an incredibly shallow cup, and the pads are very narrow. I didn't have problems with the pads, but my ears stick out far enough to hit the plastic driver grill (which is . Not cool. And the demo pair had very little clamping force; I can't imagine how annoying it would be if it was a new pair. Maybe the pads were all squished? I doubt it though, since the Shures are all pretty new.

The 840s I didn't have a problem with. The pads weren't significantly better either. Softer, sure, but I maybe I didn't have enough time with them to decide. Sound signature was very similar, at a glance.

Jan 3, 2010 at 7:12 PM Post #10 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by Folex /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Sell them and get a pair of Denon 2000s.

Forget the Denons , and buy a set of real headphones Grado or Ultrasone
L3000.gif

Jun 26, 2010 at 2:34 PM Post #11 of 11
Does anyone know if the 840 replacement cushions will fit the entry level 240?  I have grown pretty fond of my srh240s.  Nice sound and a good portable can, but was thinking a nice comfort upgrade may be in order.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back