Shure se846 vs. JH16/13
Aug 30, 2013 at 10:47 PM Post #62 of 93
I own JH13 and SE530.  I personally feel the SE530 is more musical than JH13.   The JH13 does everything better than the SE530 except for the mids.
That's where I have problems with the JH13.  It's a little dry and mid-neutral.  If I could do it over, probably go for something that has more forward mids than JH13.

Sep 6, 2013 at 7:57 PM Post #63 of 93
I have had the JH 16 Freqphase version since February and I personally prefer the smoother, more liquid mids of the JH16 over that of my shure 535. I dont find them recessed or dark sounding at all.

Oct 9, 2013 at 2:18 PM Post #64 of 93
Although I haven't yet audit the new flagship IEM by Shure since my local shop hasn't store these. Might have to wait till next year the latest!

Anyway my recent purchase of VIABLUE 3.5mm cable jack does make a world of difference as I par up my SE535 LTD with an iPod Nano hooked with Fiio E07 DAC. 
The mids and trebles became more vibrant and liquidly compared with the stock fiio 3.5 jack, most importantly the sound stage got wider and spectacular. It does feel like listening to some of my music library ripped at 320 kbps in a record album studio. Overall I'm satisfied with the set up of my gear! Not to mention listening to Daft Punk was simply a pleasure to my happy ears! Listening to Lene Marlin was a joy too! BTW I turn off the EQ on my iPod but crank up the treble and bass all the way to 10. Volume crank to 25-26!  

Oct 20, 2013 at 5:27 PM Post #65 of 93
  Anyway my recent purchase of VIABLUE 3.5mm cable jack does make a world of difference....

I presume you meant ViaBlue Plug, not Jack, correct? No, they are not the same thing. The 'jack' is what the plug plugs into = receptacle. I don't think ViaBlue even sells jacks.

So, you're saying just changing the stock Shure cable plug with a ViaBlue plug makes a big difference? I am surprised.

Just think what an even bigger difference a whole new upgrade cable would make....?

Oct 21, 2013 at 9:10 AM Post #66 of 93

I presume you meant ViaBlue Plug, not Jack, correct? No, they are not the same thing. The 'jack' is what the plug plugs into = receptacle. I don't think ViaBlue even sells jacks.

So, you're saying just changing the stock Shure cable plug with a ViaBlue plug makes a big difference? I am surprised.

Just think what an even bigger difference a whole new upgrade cable would make....?

Only marginally at 5% increase overall sound performance. do you think 60 bucks for a plug justify it?

Oct 21, 2013 at 11:17 AM Post #67 of 93

Only marginally at 5% increase overall sound performance. do you think 60 bucks for a plug justify it?

$60 for just a ViaBlue Plug?!?!?! That's w-a-y too much! They're like $12.00: 
http://www.avoutlet.com/index.php?dispatch=products.view&product_id=1580

If you can hear (and like) a 5% difference than you would really hear (and probably like) the difference an 100% Silver (not plated) Cable would make....with a ViaBlue Plug of course:
http://headphonelounge.com/silver-iem-cables/

Oct 21, 2013 at 10:20 PM Post #68 of 93

$60 for just a ViaBlue Plug?!?!?! That's w-a-y too much! They're like $12.00: 
http://www.avoutlet.com/index.php?dispatch=products.view&product_id=1580

If you can hear (and like) a 5% difference than you would really hear (and probably like) the difference an 100% Silver (not plated) Cable would make....with a ViaBlue Plug of course:
http://headphonelounge.com/silver-iem-cables/

It's not just a plug, it's a wired plug with both ends. it's hand made too!

Dec 22, 2013 at 9:46 PM Post #71 of 93
I have really been going back and forth about getting customs.  I really really want to try a set of customs, but I'm so happy with my 846's, I can't bring myself to spend the money on customs.  I don't even have a clue which ones I would get.  I keep looking at the jh16's, or the UE RM.  I run my IEM's out of RSA amps, and they pair wonderfully with them. (Although my only comparison is my fiio e11...)

Dec 22, 2013 at 10:35 PM Post #72 of 93
I have really been going back and forth about getting customs.  I really really want to try a set of customs, but I'm so happy with my 846's, I can't bring myself to spend the money on customs.  I don't even have a clue which ones I would get.  I keep looking at the jh16's, or the UE RM.  I run my IEM's out of RSA amps, and they pair wonderfully with them. (Although my only comparison is my fiio e11...)

I fell/felt the same way and that is why this hobby and website can be so deleterious. I love my 846s but we wonder if there is something better. I am sure there is but at a certain point we have to say enough. How much further improvement is possible.

Dec 23, 2013 at 6:56 AM Post #73 of 93
I fell/felt the same way and that is why this hobby and website can be so deleterious. I love my 846s but we wonder if there is something better. I am sure there is but at a certain point we have to say enough. How much further improvement is possible.

Yes, there has to be a point of diminishing returns somewhere along this wonderful and tortuous hobby.

Dec 23, 2013 at 11:23 AM Post #74 of 93
Yes, there has to be a point of diminishing returns somewhere along this wonderful and tortuous hobby.

What we need is "audiophile anonymous" to help us curb our addiction. You are thinking of getting a CIEM and even though I have the RSA Protector I am just about to break down and buy the RSA F-35 Lightning. WE NEED HELP.

Dec 23, 2013 at 12:39 PM Post #75 of 93
What we need is "audiophile anonymous" to help us curb our addiction. You are thinking of getting a CIEM and even though I have the RSA Protector I am just about to break down and buy the RSA F-35 Lightning. WE NEED HELP.

That is another dangerous path for me.  I currently have a Shadow and a Hornet, but have been itching to try balanced.  That would mean new amps and adapters....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back