Shure se846 vs. JH16/13
Aug 4, 2013 at 10:14 PM Post #31 of 93
Quote:
The biggest sales I've made to people have been some of the dumbest people I've served. This is in retail in boutique though.

I've sold HD800's to people who knew nothing about audio in depth to half a dozen people. I've sold one to an asian man who listened exclusively to podcasts on a sansa clip. An AKG k3003 to a man who simply wanted "the best", also sold him the HM-602 to pair with it. He didn't know about sample rate, file types, dacs, headphone amps (desktop/portable). He just wanted the best and needed me to repeat it to him. I told him yes, I think it's the best universal iem, and he got confused asking what I meant... Opened a can of worms and almost lost a sale explaining to him what were custom iems.

And just two days ago, my co-worker sold HD800's to a rich chinese tourist who was looking for the "best" headphone. He was with three women who helped translate, and we had a hard time explaining to him they were open back headphones. He had noticed they leaked a lot of sound. He also found it wasn't loud enough, and when I showed him the Fiio E17, he was astonished that portable amps even existed; he assumed all headphones are made for ipods, really. I was surprised he ended up taking the headphone, he just wanted the best sound no matter what; I was going to recommend my co-worker show him the SE535's instead. He was using an app for his music, streaming.

So in my experience, many people who buy the highest end stuff, actually know nothing about it... People who spend between 300-1000$ are usually well educated and know the terminology and functions of different audio gear.

I'm sure many other sales people will say the same lol. People can be very strange with their buying behavior.

Just curious (and I realize different people tell stories in different ways, especially when it's of an anecdotal nature), but what's the relevance of the customer's race/nationality in your story?

Aug 5, 2013 at 5:40 PM Post #32 of 93
Quote:

Just curious (and I realize different people tell stories in different ways, especially when it's of an anecdotal nature), but what's the relevance of the customer's race/nationality in your story?

There's no relevance in any of this, just being specific in my descriptions.

Audio-Technica Stay updated on Audio-Technica at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.audio-technica.com/
Aug 13, 2013 at 4:13 AM Post #33 of 93
I have the Shure se535's, and although I'm very happy with them, I wanted to go to another level. I was considering either the se846's or JH13pro's but I didn't want to make my se535's redundant. So I came across something that Unique melody does, which is they convert universal IEM's into customs to which the se535's are ones they do. Not only that, but they can also add drivers so with me just placing an order I've gone for three extra driver which will make in total six. All I have to do now is have moulds taken of my ears then send them off as well as my se535's to Unique melody UK. They'll take about 5 or 6 weeks to be done and I can't wait see them because I've chosen a wood faceplate and smoked black shells. But more importantly, I'm looking forward to hearing them.

I may eventually get the JH13pro's, but I'll see how my reshelled se535's sound first.

Aug 13, 2013 at 6:15 AM Post #34 of 93
Quote:
I have the Shure se535's, and although I'm very happy with them, I wanted to go to another level. I was considering either the se846's or JH13pro's but I didn't want to make my se535's redundant. So I came across something that Unique melody does, which is they convert universal IEM's into customs to which the se535's are ones they do. Not only that, but they can also add drivers so with me just placing an order I've gone for three extra driver which will make in total six. All I have to do now is have moulds taken of my ears then send them off as well as my se535's to Unique melody UK. They'll take about 5 or 6 weeks to be done and I can't wait see them because I've chosen a wood faceplate and smoked black shells. But more importantly, I'm looking forward to hearing them.

I may eventually get the JH13pro's, but I'll see how my reshelled se535's sound first.

Imho, the option you choose is rather a gimmick from UM as it will all come down to the frequency response for each house, which are totally different.  UM didn't show us how will they do with the added drivers and how will they configure those roll off for each driver and each frequency range.  It is not how many drivers you have but how you use each driver correctly.  You need to spend another $470 more to do this.  I think it might be better of for you to sell the 535 and add a little more money to go for the real one like JH13 or even UM miracle.  Also, if you like SE535 because of the mid then you might like Fitear TG334 as the mid is very luscious comparing to SE535. 

Hope you enjoy what you choose.   cheers

Aug 13, 2013 at 9:31 AM Post #35 of 93
Imho, the option you choose is rather a gimmick from UM as it will all come down to the frequency response for each house, which are totally different.  UM didn't show us how will they do with the added drivers and how will they configure those roll off for each driver and each frequency range.  It is not how many drivers you have but how you use each driver correctly.  You need to spend another $470 more to do this.  I think it might be better of for you to sell the 535 and add a little more money to go for the real one like JH13 or even UM miracle.  Also, if you like SE535 because of the mid then you might like Fitear TG334 as the mid is very luscious comparing to SE535. 

Hope you enjoy what you choose.   cheers

I wouldn't want to try and sell my se535's, and there are no guarantees that having the 535's converted will make them sound better, but I took a risk changing the headband on my 009's and not only has the SQ not changed, but to me they are now one of the best looking headphones I've ever seen, and they're as comfortable as with the original headband.
Apparently when UM do the reshell to universals, they make sure everything is working properly, but time will tell.
I don't think I'll bother with universals anymore because for comfort I could only listen to the se535's about an hour before I ended up having to take them out.

Like I said, I might end up getting the JH13pro's, but it'll definitely be sometime before I'd have the spare money.

Thanks for hoping I enjoy which I choose, which will be customising my se535's.

Aug 13, 2013 at 9:37 AM Post #36 of 93
Quote:

That's a very big risk you took! It Can turn out amazing though, I like it.

Aug 13, 2013 at 11:08 AM Post #37 of 93
JH13 it is virtually impossible as the frequency response is just so analytical and not musical at all.
8.gif

Aug 13, 2013 at 11:49 AM Post #38 of 93
Because it's not easy to try custom IEM's before buying, I think most if not all of us have to rely on reviews on the one we are considering getting, and when we get to try them they don't sound anything like the reviews were saying. Turning my 535's into customs might not give me the exact sound I'm looking for, but I can't see them sounding bad.

Aug 13, 2013 at 3:43 PM Post #42 of 93
I don't use my 535's that much now because as I said, after around an hour they start to feel uncomfortable, so turning them into customs is something that I'm very happy about. I also can't see the likes of UM doing what they are doing to certain universals, without having done some kind of testing to make sure they sounded right. For me, what I know for sure, is when they are done they'll be very nice to look at.

When they are done I'll be using them mostly with my GS-Xmk2 and my main source, then I'll compare them to my HD-600's which my 535's don't sound as good as.

Aug 13, 2013 at 5:06 PM Post #43 of 93
Quote:
I don't use my 535's that much now because as I said, after around an hour they start to feel uncomfortable, so turning them into customs is something that I'm very happy about. I also can't see the likes of UM doing what they are doing to certain universals, without having done some kind of testing to make sure they sounded right. For me, what I know for sure, is when they are done they'll be very nice to look at.

When they are done I'll be using them mostly with my GS-Xmk2 and my main source, then I'll compare them to my HD-600's which my 535's don't sound as good as.

But why add three drivers? I figure one extra driver for some extra extension in the treble would be all you need in the 535? Also, what kind of drivers were added, are the extra three all going to be bass/mids/treble? And yeah, I suppose they know what they are doing.

Aug 13, 2013 at 8:26 PM Post #44 of 93
I have JH13s now as well as a loaner pair of 1plus2s, so when I'm next in Tokyo I should be able to try the Shures and compare. Might be a while though!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back