Shure se846 vs. JH16/13
May 19, 2013 at 2:21 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 93

mjoleksy

Head-Fier
Hi, I have Shure 535 now but have stated licking my chops looking at the new 846's.  Is it too early to compare and contrast the JH16/13 vs the 846's?  If not, what are your thoughts on sound quality, comfort, etc?  What are the major differences? 

May 19, 2013 at 11:42 PM Post #2 of 93
My short summary of the 846 is that it sounds like a much cleaner, clearer and more balanced 535. The bass quantity is similar. Probably a better comparison would bit the FitEar Parterre which is more bass-light like the JH-13s. The 846 is a bit closer to the JH-16s in frequency response.

Jun 25, 2013 at 7:09 AM Post #3 of 93
In terms of just pure cumulative sound quality, which one would best the other. I know its all subjective so I'll be asking your for your subjective opinion Currawong.
The jh16.... Or the se846

Jun 25, 2013 at 2:59 PM Post #4 of 93
My suggestion, don't get the JH. Despite all the hypes around here, me and some of my more experienced CIEM onwer (meaning owning more than 5 CIEMs)  don't like the sonic presentation of JH. I have to use 10 EQ band in order to get my JH16 sound similar to the LCD3... (and for JH13 it is virtually impossible as the frequency response is just so analytical and not musical at all) While for CIEMs like Hidition NT6 or Spiral ear 5way, you only need maybe 2-3 EQ band to make them sound balanced.
Also with JH you will definitely need cable swap to make the best out of it.

Jun 26, 2013 at 10:05 PM Post #5 of 93
Quote:
My suggestion, don't get the JH. Despite all the hypes around here, me and some of my more experienced CIEM onwer (meaning owning more than 5 CIEMs)  don't like the sonic presentation of JH. I have to use 10 EQ band in order to get my JH16 sound similar to the LCD3... (and for JH13 it is virtually impossible as the frequency response is just so analytical and not musical at all) While for CIEMs like Hidition NT6 or Spiral ear 5way, you only need maybe 2-3 EQ band to make them sound balanced.
Also with JH you will definitely need cable swap to make the best out of it.

just wonder is your JH16 is a new freqphase version or the old one?

Jun 26, 2013 at 10:51 PM Post #6 of 93
Quote:
just wonder is your JH16 is a new freqphase version or the old one?

I have owned JH13 non-FP version, sold it.
I now own JH16 FP version.
But as I said, there's no question about the technological capability of the earphone, it is rather the JH housesound which is a bit off from what many people consider "musical".

Jun 26, 2013 at 11:39 PM Post #7 of 93
I see. If you have lcd3 as reference then yes i agree. Have you tried fitear or other of those high end universal. I'm in market to get me a brand new shining universal set that can out perform my jh3a set. Any suggestion welcome. Too bad my jh3a didn't fit the way it should be. I really regret buying it. :frowning2:

Jun 27, 2013 at 12:29 AM Post #8 of 93
I see. If you have lcd3 as reference then yes i agree. Have you tried fitear or other of those high end universal. I'm in market to get me a brand new shining universal set that can out perform my jh3a set. Any suggestion welcome. Too bad my jh3a didn't fit the way it should be. I really regret buying it. :frowning2:

Yes fitear 334 blew my mind when I first heard it. Great for vocals.

Jun 27, 2013 at 7:16 AM Post #9 of 93
I am also looking to upgrade my IEMs. I have the se535 and like them. I do not have fit issues at all with universals and find my Shures comfortable enough. I have considered JH 13/16 as an upgrade but I wonder whether I should go through the trouble of getting JHs fitted if SQ would be the same as new Shures.

@ Currawong -- how would you compare the clarity of Shures to JH pros? Detail retrieval/ separation and staging are most important characteristics to me. 

Jun 27, 2013 at 7:46 AM Post #10 of 93
If you like Se535 mids, JH13/16 might not be your cup of tea. I upgraded fr Se535 (bronze) after 2 years to TG!334 and the mids really blows my mind. I can look back and say the mids in Se535 is muddy, bloated, etc after using the 334 :p

Jun 27, 2013 at 5:22 PM Post #11 of 93
Quote:
If you like Se535 mids, JH13/16 might not be your cup of tea. I upgraded fr Se535 (bronze) after 2 years to TG!334 and the mids really blows my mind. I can look back and say the mids in Se535 is muddy, bloated, etc after using the 334
tongue.gif

Thanks! Overall I value clarity overall. My favorite full size HP are HD800 and HE6 driven by my speaker amp. I want to hear it all, not just mids or any other feq for that matter. Even musicality or euphony is not as high on the list for me as detail. I wonna hear it all. So what's the best IEM for that?

Jun 27, 2013 at 7:56 PM Post #12 of 93
If u value clarity, can try FitEar C435, but this CIEM is expensive and AFAIK, only available in Japan, HK and some South East Asian countries only where FitEars only accepts the impression done by their authorised resellers.
Some of the headfiers in Singapore that already listen to C435 agree that their clarity is on another level compared to their IEMs. Mind you, these guys are using Heir 8a, UM Miracles, Merlin, 1plus2, among others.
If you have no access to FitEars, I suggest UM Miracles for CIEM or 1p2 for universal. I'm not fond of JH house sound but you might want to try JH13 also.

Jun 27, 2013 at 8:16 PM Post #13 of 93
Quote:
If u value clarity, can try FitEar C435, but this CIEM is expensive and AFAIK, only available in Japan, HK and some South East Asian countries only where FitEars only accepts the impression done by their authorised resellers.
Some of the headfiers in Singapore that already listen to C435 agree that their clarity is on another level compared to their IEMs. Mind you, these guys are using Heir 8a, UM Miracles, Merlin, 1plus2, among others.
If you have no access to FitEars, I suggest UM Miracles for CIEM or 1p2 for universal. I'm not fond of JH house sound but you might want to try JH13 also.

Thanks for the recs. just out of curiosity, why dont you like JH house sound?

Jun 28, 2013 at 6:12 AM Post #15 of 93
OK Thanks for your feedback

Users who are viewing this thread

Back