Shure SE846 Impressions Thread
Oct 2, 2023 at 7:14 AM Post #22,726 of 22,954
If you have a technique that uncouples MMCX connections and does not involve brute thumb force I'd love to hear it! I injured my right thumb some time ago and I just cannot apply any pressure on it.
Have you tried something like this?

1696245267315.png

Oct 2, 2023 at 8:53 AM Post #22,729 of 22,954
Probably true, but if you ask you will probably find se846 owners that are still using the set they purchased in 2013 when they first came out, I got mine in April 2017 and it still works great.

As far as I can tell the main weakness of the se846 is the MMCX connector, I try to avoid swapping cables too often for this reason.

Try finding an IEM at the same price as an se846 that will still be working in six+ years, that may be a bit more of a challenge.
Agreed on se846 durability, it is insane.
I sold my first set when that was 4years old and it was like new.
A second set of Gen1 developed mmcx issues and was replaced by Shure. So far so good, but this spooked me so that I do not change cable too often anymore.

Oct 2, 2023 at 9:40 AM Post #22,731 of 22,954
Oct 2, 2023 at 10:37 AM Post #22,732 of 22,954
If you have a technique that uncouples MMCX connections and does not involve brute thumb force I'd love to hear it! I injured my right thumb some time ago and I just cannot apply any pressure on it.
Normally, twist and light pull at the same time, but with my Fiio DF7 it came with a cable detaching tool, like a thin, two pronged fork.

I also only buy quality cables, generally matched to the IEM, so for my Fiio have the Fiio aftermarket cables (silver Litz) and for my M9 Sony Cables, about 3 of them, but currently using the Sony Kimber 4.4mm on my SE846's as I think Shure cables are rubbish (quality, microphonics, stiffness, ear-hoop).

Fiio tool can be seen in this photo (silver piece, bottom RHS)

1696257392123.png

Last edited:
Oct 2, 2023 at 10:38 AM Post #22,733 of 22,954
Besides sound, they're also the most comfortable IEM I've ever worn. Andromeda doesn't come close.

Agree 100% on size/comfort, though I also find my FD7 & M9 equally small & comfy.

I sold my Noble K10U and Sony IER-Z1R as just too large & un-comfy for my ears.

Oct 3, 2023 at 1:20 AM Post #22,735 of 22,954
I hold esrbud between thumb and index finger with ear bud facing toward my palm and cable facing outward. Insert fingernails on the same thumb and index finger between the earbud and cable at the mmcx connector and squeeze. Just pops right out. No need to use force to try to pull the cables off.

Oct 3, 2023 at 1:39 AM Post #22,736 of 22,954
I hold esrbud between thumb and index finger with ear bud facing toward my palm and cable facing outward. Insert fingernails on the same thumb and index finger between the earbud and cable at the mmcx connector and squeeze. Just pops right out. No need to use force to try to pull the cables off.
My method is quite similar, although I use two hands and drop the bud into my other hand, i.e. i grab it from the cable side.

Oct 3, 2023 at 3:52 AM Post #22,737 of 22,954
Also truly negative profile. You can sleep with the SE846 if you really wanted to!
This is why I love them. I use them on flights and can happily sleep with them in. I play aircraft sound from an app at a low level which coupled with the inherent sound blocking really prevents any cabin noise, even crying babies, from waking me up.

Oct 19, 2023 at 5:21 PM Post #22,739 of 22,954
Any other did the white filter mod to emulate the red filter?

Interesting you ask - I got the modding bug again and wound up purchasing 2 new sets of white filters from Shure (only $12/pair in US) and more Knowles filters to try other screens.

Before getting to that, I tried the new white filters and they sound way better than the original ones that came with mine. So I’ll keep one pair as original Shures and then ‘butcher’ the 2nd pair!

So here’s where I am with that: I put green screens in and they sound quite close to the std whites, just some subtle softening where it can get piercing at high volume. All good so far.

Then I tried Knowles red screens (they rate them 2200ohm vs greens 1500ohm) and boy do they sound good! A tad more bass. Again the treble extension is still there, the openness. I may have found the sweet spot!
Of course now I wished I’d got the next color up (orange I think).
I swear just having one screen at the iem end is the way to go.

Side note: I’ve been amazed at the clear clean sound of my AirPod pro 2s and used these as a reference :) While being clean and clear they’re also quite dark - seems they’re hiding the dirtier frequencies and keep the highest frequencies for clarity. Having the red screen in my 846s seems to do something similar which is to pull out some upper mid and lower treble but keeping the higher treble - seems to enhance the airiness with crisper detail.

You asked about emulating the Shure red filters. I have them. They’re crap, don’t bother. They’re just a slightly brighter version of the blue. White’s where it’s at - and removing Shures purple screen and replacing with a Knowles red!

Oct 20, 2023 at 12:32 AM Post #22,740 of 22,954
Interesting you ask - I got the modding bug again and wound up purchasing 2 new sets of white filters from Shure (only $12/pair in US) and more Knowles filters to try other screens.

Before getting to that, I tried the new white filters and they sound way better than the original ones that came with mine. So I’ll keep one pair as original Shures and then ‘butcher’ the 2nd pair!

So here’s where I am with that: I put green screens in and they sound quite close to the std whites, just some subtle softening where it can get piercing at high volume. All good so far.

Then I tried Knowles red screens (they rate them 2200ohm vs greens 1500ohm) and boy do they sound good! A tad more bass. Again the treble extension is still there, the openness. I may have found the sweet spot!
Of course now I wished I’d got the next color up (orange I think).
I swear just having one screen at the iem end is the way to go.

Side note: I’ve been amazed at the clear clean sound of my AirPod pro 2s and used these as a reference :) While being clean and clear they’re also quite dark - seems they’re hiding the dirtier frequencies and keep the highest frequencies for clarity. Having the red screen in my 846s seems to do something similar which is to pull out some upper mid and lower treble but keeping the higher treble - seems to enhance the airiness with crisper detail.

You asked about emulating the Shure red filters. I have them. They’re crap, don’t bother. They’re just a slightly brighter version of the blue. White’s where it’s at - and removing Shures purple screen and replacing with a Knowles red!
Thanks for the reply.
Can you post a picture or two and some links for purchasing the Knowles filters?

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back