Shure SE846 Impressions Thread
Jul 12, 2022 at 9:00 PM Post #21,901 of 22,945
The only potential problem/sound changing thing about cables with the SE846 is the Shures really low nominal impedance coupled with the usual swings over frequency: if the cable has a too high resistance it will influence sound in this constellation, just like a higher output impedance of an amp. Otherwise not really, except the cables defective.
I noticed a significant drop in SQ when I swapped out for a Shure cable with a microphone in the splitter. The cable was significantly thinner so I figured that was the main cause. I swapped back to the standard cable after a few minutes The standard cable is a pretty good option for sound quality. It is a little stiff though.

Jul 12, 2022 at 9:34 PM Post #21,902 of 22,945
The only potential problem/sound changing thing about cables with the SE846 is the Shures really low nominal impedance coupled with the usual swings over frequency: if the cable has a too high resistance it will influence sound in this constellation, just like a higher output impedance of an amp. Otherwise not really, except the cables defective.
Exactly, that's certainly a factor with the 846 and its super low impedance. Someone may think it's the equipment that's affecting the sound sig, when it could be an impedance mis-match. Gotta watch that (i.e. the output impedance of a dac/amp). It's a reason why I gravitated towards the superbax cable. It clearly says what its impedance is and that it's meant for low impedance headphones.

Jul 13, 2022 at 3:15 AM Post #21,903 of 22,945
Exactly, that's certainly a factor with the 846 and its super low impedance. Someone may think it's the equipment that's affecting the sound sig, when it could be an impedance mis-match. Gotta watch that (i.e. the output impedance of a dac/amp). It's a reason why I gravitated towards the superbax cable. It clearly says what its impedance is and that it's meant for low impedance headphones.
Do you mean this one:
https://www.linum.dk/products/linum-g2-superbax/

Jul 13, 2022 at 6:49 AM Post #21,904 of 22,945
Jul 14, 2022 at 11:04 AM Post #21,905 of 22,945
I noticed a significant drop in SQ when I swapped out for a Shure cable with a microphone in the splitter. The cable was significantly thinner so I figured that was the main cause. I swapped back to the standard cable after a few minutes The standard cable is a pretty good option for sound quality. It is a little stiff though.
Besides using simpler cables fir the mic cables, a misfit between the TRRS plug and the (possibly TRS) jack may also give problems. If the mic is not strictly needed, I'd rather stay away from those and go with an audio-only cable. Yes, the standard cable is a bit stiff unfortunately, but it seems very sturdy at least.

Jul 14, 2022 at 11:10 AM Post #21,906 of 22,945
The Superbax is a nice cable, I now have the second one on my 64audio N8 (first one developed problems with the transparent plastic/whatever sheeting after a few years). It's also within an acceptable price range and I really like that its so thin and doesn't have any guides -- it stays behind my ears without any help. Unfortunately they told me the'll focus on their T2 connectors and give up other options in the near future... The T2 sure is a superior connector, but I can't change my SE846 (or the N8). OK, for the SE846 the problem can be considered solved: I now use them with the TW2 receivers, a combination I'd call the best TWS available.

Jul 14, 2022 at 11:57 AM Post #21,908 of 22,945
Did anyone tried se846 Vs ie600? More or less same price.
At another thread I was asking about the difference between Sennheiser IE600 from IE 400 pro which I own.
From my experience with the latter they must be very different from se846.
The IE400 pro ( the best of the pro line according to many) has bigger but softer bass, less impactful mid-bass, better treble extension and expansive soundstage but with mids that lack the presence and weight of the Shures.
I would expect the IE600 to fall more into that description.

Jul 15, 2022 at 6:37 AM Post #21,909 of 22,945
Did anyone tried se846 Vs ie600? More or less same price.
I did, they are totally different, despite being of a similar price and I don't just mean one is a a BA design and one is a dynamic driver design. I won't compare the sound signatures here, just have a search, plenty of opinions already out there.

I think from a durability point of view the Shure will last longer, not to say the Sennheiser is prone to failure its just that the Shure is built like a tank.

I'm currently using my se846 when out and about using Shure's own TW1 and its perfect for me when used like this.

Jul 15, 2022 at 9:23 AM Post #21,910 of 22,945
I did, they are totally different, despite being of a similar price and I don't just mean one is a a BA design and one is a dynamic driver design. I won't compare the sound signatures here, just have a search, plenty of opinions already out there.

I think from a durability point of view the Shure will last longer, not to say the Sennheiser is prone to failure its just that the Shure is built like a tank.

I'm currently using my se846 when out and about using Shure's own TW1 and its perfect for me when used like this.
I'm afraid I beg to differ on the durability of Shure's plastic shells. Both my 846 and KSE have started breaking down at the seams after a few years. And the mmcx connector on one of my 846 earpieces breaks signal at times.

I used to think they were built like "tanks" but the test of time has shown otherwise. And I'm careful with all my gear.

Speaking of Sennheiser, I haven't had a perfect track record either, but with durability, yes. My IE 800 S feels/looks like day one but has driver flex on one side. Driver of my original true wireless momentum went out (got it warranty replaced). I have had an IE 900 for almost a year and has been doing great, but haven't had it long enough to comment on durability.

I'll add that my 846 and KSE still work fine and I still really enjoy them, but Shure's plastic shells might not stand up to time as one may think.

Jul 15, 2022 at 11:19 AM Post #21,911 of 22,945
I have my SE846 for about 7 years by now and no problems so far. Neither with the shell nor with the MMCX connectors (although I'd much prefer if they had the T2 connectors, but those came much later...). I don't change cables often, and only with great care though -- I don't trust those MMCX connectors one bit.

Jul 17, 2022 at 8:36 AM Post #21,912 of 22,945
I got a silver litz cable, used it for a long time, but then my device dropped and the connector bust. I took it to the local repair shop who used standard solder to put on a basic plug. After that, I found all the magic gone, it was basically unlistenable.
I never thought I’d be this kind of person.
I think it shows, getting a better cable can be hard to perceive exactly the benefit, but getting really basic connectors etc, really dire sound bad (to me).

Jul 17, 2022 at 10:57 AM Post #21,913 of 22,945
I got a silver litz cable, used it for a long time, but then my device dropped and the connector bust. I took it to the local repair shop who used standard solder to put on a basic plug. After that, I found all the magic gone, it was basically unlistenable.
I never thought I’d be this kind of person.
I think it shows, getting a better cable can be hard to perceive exactly the benefit, but getting really basic connectors etc, really dire sound bad (to me).
Are you sure some of the BA drivers weren't just damaged from the drop and left nonfunctional? IIRC a hard shock can render them useless.

Jul 17, 2022 at 11:48 AM Post #21,914 of 22,945
Are you sure some of the BA drivers weren't just damaged from the drop and left nonfunctional? IIRC a hard shock can render them useless.
Whenever I get the cable fixed by the original cable maker, the magic returned :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back