Shure SE846 Impressions Thread
Mar 30, 2022 at 2:22 PM Post #21,811 of 22,960
… which leads nicely to the one trick many high end devices use to sound like they have better resolution: emphasize treble.

I know and liked the original Mojo, which was a tad warmer than many other amps (and therefore more natural to me), but I did not try the Mojo2: Micro-USB charging doesn’t cut it anymore. And I don’t want a DSP I don’t use to clutter up the interface even more. So I can’t judge it, but hearing that they kept the EMI problems seems sad.

Apr 2, 2022 at 2:09 PM Post #21,812 of 22,960
Hi!

Just bought a new unit of Mojo 2! Had to drive to another city because near me (200 km around) is sold out.

Just in a parking lot listening to music 🤣🥲.

Great for Sinatra! Sound reminds me of my old Lindemann DAC, but from my iPhone ❤️ and using Spotify 🎉. Rediscovering Leonard Cohen as well (what a voice).

Will use it until it the aluminium case falls appart someday due to use and abuse hehe.

Issues: audible hiss (even if disconnected from the phone / I am very sensible to hiss despite my tinnitus); micro-usb port somehow feels slightly loose, but is very well firmly connected; I dont like the cable spaghetti (lighting camera connector, micro usb cable, etc). The unit gets hot with use (I do not think it will burn me, but probably it could be used as a heater in a cold winter night 🤣 -don’t do it at home-).

Not all music seems to benefit the same from the Mojo 2 as compared with the apple dongle. Radiohead’s “True Love Waits” (A Moon Shaped Pool version) sounds somehow better to me from the dongle. An examples of a song with a very clear improvement (to my ears) with the Mojo 2: The Jesus and Mary Chain - Just like Honey. Other example: The Beatles White Album in Stereo with crossfeed benefits a lot (to my ears).

Equally, not all music is improved by crossfeed. Even old albums (Sinatra at the Sands) sound degraded to me even with the minimum crossfeed setting (subjective impression with this specific album: crossfeed kills soundstage/instrument separation and detail); it is like without crossfeed one is seated 50 cm in front of Sinatra, and with crossfeed at maximum, one is in the last row. It might be, that Sinatra-Basie albums are simply too perfectly mixed and one shall not try to touch nothing at all.

On the other hand, Dean Martin’s “Everybody Loves Somebody Sometimes” is wonderful with crossfeed (as probably many hard panned old stereo albums).

I am under the impression I can enjoy the music longer while using the Mojo 2, as I were suffering from less listening fatigue.

Last edited:
Apr 6, 2022 at 4:22 PM Post #21,813 of 22,960
Is it worth it to go balanced? I’ve been using the stock cable since I got it 4 years ago, and was wondering if the upgrade would be worth it. Thanks in advance!

Apr 6, 2022 at 4:33 PM Post #21,814 of 22,960
Is it worth it to go balanced? I’ve been using the stock cable since I got it 4 years ago, and was wondering if the upgrade would be worth it. Thanks in advance!
I have avoided balanced for the SE846 due to the low impedance but I did find a cable upgrade helped with comfort, seal and I love the way my Meze Rai Silver plated cable looks (nothing wrong with caring about looks in my opinion). Never liked the stock Shure memory wire cables.

Apr 6, 2022 at 4:34 PM Post #21,815 of 22,960
I have avoided balanced for the SE846 due to the low impedance but I did find a cable upgrade helped with comfort, seal and I love the way my Meze Rai Silver plated cable looks (nothing wrong with caring about looks in my opinion). Never liked the stock Shure memory wire cables.
Is there a difference in sound? I was actually thinking about getting the Meze one as well

Apr 6, 2022 at 4:50 PM Post #21,816 of 22,960
Is there a difference in sound? I was actually thinking about getting the Meze one as well

Make sure your source has a low output impedance (<1 ohm). These have a very low impedance and this can really muddy the sound (reduces the treble). I only use mine single-ended for that reason.

Apr 6, 2022 at 4:50 PM Post #21,817 of 22,960
With IEMs, getting a proper seal matters and I found the more flexible thinner cables just fit better for me vs. the stock Shure cable. Obviously tips matter as well. Right now I use the Westone STAR silicone tips (also have Spinfit CP800s). Probably get more of a sonic difference from tip rolling tbh.

EDIT: agree with @rlw6534 that sourse matters with these, much more so due to the low output impedance. I would stick with single ended if possible for the SE846. I use mine primarily with the RME-ADI-2, Dragonfly Cobalt and Qudelix 5K.

Last edited:
Apr 7, 2022 at 1:32 AM Post #21,818 of 22,960
Not worth it. I‘d rather choose a good single ended amp.
The very low impedance paired with the high sensitivity makes the SE864 not a good target for balanced amps.

Apr 7, 2022 at 7:19 AM Post #21,819 of 22,960
Sounds good. Thank you, everyone, for your input!

Apr 7, 2022 at 12:33 PM Post #21,821 of 22,960
The question is meaningless without specifying what amp you're driving it with. (Or considering)
I am driving it with my M17

Apr 9, 2022 at 12:42 PM Post #21,822 of 22,960
I recently purchased the tiny Hiby FC3 DAC/Amp dongle and the Final Audio tips.
My beloved SE846 (Trish Mode) never sounded better ( no eq). Detail, soundstage, bass, top end, even disabling Bit perfect on the USB Audio Pro. Even surpassing the Quad DAC of my old LGG8. Zero hiss.
For any unknown reason, I noticed more top end sparkle out of an Android device than out of an iPhone 13 pro, Ipad and MacBook 16 M1 Pro. Go figure....

Last edited:
Apr 11, 2022 at 3:48 AM Post #21,823 of 22,960
Question related to SE846 EQ settings and Mojo 2. Moved to a different thread as specified below.

Edit (2): I found a thread that may be better suited for this question. Will post there (thread name: “Chord Mojo 2 Eq Settings”).

Last edited:
Apr 12, 2022 at 5:54 PM Post #21,824 of 22,960
Hi all.
How fragile are these 846s? I was burning in my Sony-zx507 and had no other headphones around to use so I took my 846s. Played for around 100 hours with pretty high volume ( nothing extreme at all) and with no break. And now the bass is broken or something. That precious, lush round bass is gone. There is absolutely no tone to the bass. Is sounds like "BAAAAH BAAAAH" (dont know how to describe it). There is some sub bass left.
Im I losing my mind or have I just broken them?
Anyway to check?

Apr 13, 2022 at 1:02 AM Post #21,825 of 22,960
Hi all.
How fragile are these 846s? I was burning in my Sony-zx507 and had no other headphones around to use so I took my 846s. Played for around 100 hours with pretty high volume ( nothing extreme at all) and with no break. And now the bass is broken or something. That precious, lush round bass is gone. There is absolutely no tone to the bass. Is sounds like "BAAAAH BAAAAH" (dont know how to describe it). There is some sub bass left.
Im I losing my mind or have I just broken them?
Anyway to check?
They are robust. I have them connected to my M17 on medium to high gain with the blue filters on. I have had them for over 4+ years with no problems. If you think one of the BA’s gone, I would reach out to Shure to see if they can replace them for you. They are really responsive and back them up with great pride.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back