Shure SE846 Impressions Thread
Mar 26, 2022 at 6:37 AM Post #21,796 of 22,960
I don't own a Mojo but it's definitely well regarded by many; for me it's just too big and heavy and doesn't support balanced output. It also doesn't support MQA, if that matters to you. I do own the DFC and FC3, with the main difference being that the DFC only supports up to 96 kHz (both support MQA). I personally use the FC3 with my iPhone - it's small and light and does everything I need. I use the DFC mostly with my MacBook (normally thrown in the bag). Obviously the Mojo has more power, but it's not needed with most IEMs, especially the SE846. You might want to check out the iFi Gryphon as another option to the Mojo for battery powered DACs. I've been tempted but I already have a FiiO Q5s for the rare times I need more power in a portable.
Thanks again. Specifically a balance output is a no-go for me. It is a shame many otherwise interesting devices are using such a thing.

Mar 26, 2022 at 7:07 AM Post #21,797 of 22,960
Thanks again. Specifically a balance output is a no-go for me. It is a shame many otherwise interesting devices are using such a thing.

Why the aversion to balanced output? I agree for the SE846, but it's handy for my HD650 at 300 ohms...

Mar 26, 2022 at 7:17 AM Post #21,798 of 22,960
Why the aversion to balanced output? I agree for the SE846, but it's handy for my HD650 at 300 ohms...

Hi! My comment is specifically related to the se846 (balanced, more output impedance). Plus I am not that willing to buy an extra cable that is only compatible with one device.

I used to have a HD650, I loved it! powered by a Lehmann desktop amp. Also had the HD800 which was more detailed and had a bigger soundstage but could not listen to it for long before I got a headache.

BTW, the sound signature of the SE846 reminds me that of the HD650 a lot.

Mar 26, 2022 at 7:24 AM Post #21,799 of 22,960
Hi! My comment is specifically related to the se846 (balanced, more output impedance). Plus I am not that willing to buy an extra cable that is only compatible with one device.

I used to have a HD650, I loved it! powered by a Lehmann desktop amp. Also had the HD800 which was more detailed and had a bigger soundstage but could not listen to it for long before I got a headache.

BTW, the sound signature of the SE846 reminds me that of the HD650 a lot.

But most balanced amps have both 3.5 mm SE as well as balanced modes/connections so you can do either.

Last edited:
Mar 26, 2022 at 7:53 AM Post #21,800 of 22,960
I can understand the aversion to it. For most headphone cases it's not needed. It's has become a case of people just wanting balanced because "it's better". And you can see that manufactures have responded. Balanced is everywhere. Most headphones don't need that much power.

But most balanced amps have both 3.5 mm SE as well as balanced modes/connections so you can do either.
Yes, but the 3.5mm output in a balanced device is almost always inferior in sound quality to the balanced one. The circuitry is designed for the balance output.

Last edited:
Mar 26, 2022 at 9:53 AM Post #21,801 of 22,960
I can understand the aversion to it. For most headphone cases it's not needed. It's has become a case of people just wanting balanced because "it's better". And you can see that manufactures have responded. Balanced is everywhere. Most headphones don't need that much power.

Yes, but the 3.5mm output in a balanced device is almost always inferior in sound quality to the balanced one. The circuitry is designed for the balance output.

Fair enough, although it depends upon the specific device. Always good to research... :wink:

Mar 29, 2022 at 1:14 PM Post #21,802 of 22,960
Hi,

I tried today the Dragonfly Cobalt. I could not hear almost any improvement comparing it with the apple dongle.

Massive Attack - Karmacoma: the bass sounded congested with the Dragonfly Cobalt, IMHO much more so than with the dongle.

Radiohead - How to disappear completely: the bass line in the intro sounded very artificial with the DFC imho. I liked it better from the dongle.

Frank Sinatra and Count Basie - Pennies from Heaven: Soundstage appears wider to my ears coming from the DFC as from the dongle. It was an improvement, but otherwise the dongle was more musical to me.

Hope the Mojo 2 will be (much) better when I try it later this week.

Mar 29, 2022 at 1:29 PM Post #21,803 of 22,960
Hi,

I tried today the Dragonfly Cobalt. I could not hear almost any improvement comparing it with the apple dongle.

Massive Attack - Karmacoma: the bass sounded congested with the Dragonfly Cobalt, IMHO much more so than with the dongle.

Radiohead - How to disappear completely: the bass line in the intro sounded very artificial with the DFC imho. I liked it better from the dongle.

Frank Sinatra and Count Basie - Pennies from Heaven: Soundstage appears wider to my ears coming from the DFC as from the dongle. It was an improvement, but otherwise the dongle was more musical to me.

Hope the Mojo 2 will be (much) better when I try it later this week.
Yeah, the Cobalt should pale in comparison to the Mojo 2. Looking forward to your impressions. Surprised you find the Cobalt behind the Apple dongle. I wasn't too impressed with the Cobalt but thought it would've added value against a dongle. That said, heard Apple's is one of the better dongle options. Never heard it myself.

Mar 29, 2022 at 2:12 PM Post #21,804 of 22,960
Not based on my experience with the SE846, but I have found the Cobalt to add a bit of extra warmth to recordings in a way the Apple USB-C dongle does not. Perhaps that's what you were hearing—with some headphones that extra bass presence is not needed and somewhat detrimental.

Mar 30, 2022 at 4:20 AM Post #21,805 of 22,960
I've only heard good things about the Apple dongle... both from a measurement point of view and for sound. While I've never tried it with the SE846 (which have their TW2 attached), I now own a bunch of those dongles (both Lightning and USB-C) and use them with a lot of headphones to great effect: sounds great with e.g. the DT700, the SRH840A or the Austrian Audio Hi-X60, up to a level where I now consider compatibility with this dongle a requirement for midrange headphones I might buy: sensitivity of the new drivers is high enough (with impedance low enough), no reason to require some heavy amp anymore.
They did not work that convincingly with my D9200 though... but I hardly use them anymore.

Mar 30, 2022 at 10:39 AM Post #21,806 of 22,960
Hi,

I have just tested the Mojo 2.

First, it was a clear and no questionable improvement to the dongle to me. Much more musical. In a live concert I noticed the singer breathing and I though it was me because of the covid mask I wear. Micro details everywhere. Nice soundstage. Very very musical. I was in love with the sound.

I have not bought it because the store had only two devices, which were returned from clients. I could listen to static coming from my phone (it was also very clear and apparent, it was very nicely amplified phone static) with both devices.

Is it normal? In case is it normal, how to avoid it?

Thanks again,

Daniel

Last edited:
Mar 30, 2022 at 11:02 AM Post #21,807 of 22,960
Hi,

First, it was a clear and no questionable improvement to the dongle to me. Much more musical. In a live concert I noticed the singer breathing and I though it was me because of the covid mask I wear. Micro details everywhere. Nice soundstage. Very very musical. I was in love with the sound.

I have not bought it because the store had only two devices, which were returned from clients. I could listen to static coming from my phone (it was also very clear and apparent, it was very nicely amplified phone static) with both devices.

Thanks again,

Daniel
Hello, I have a question; you mean that that particular breathing sound which you heard with Mojo, could not be heard at all with Apple dongle or heard less in your face, more background in a way? Did you make a side by side comparison? Thanks.

Mar 30, 2022 at 11:30 AM Post #21,808 of 22,960
Hello, I have a question; you mean that that particular breathing sound which you heard with Mojo, could not be heard at all with Apple dongle or heard less in your face, more background in a way? Did you make a side by side comparison? Thanks.

Hi, with the dongle I can hear the noise as something low frequency, but unless I increase the volume (by a lot) could not distinguish it in detail. The MOJO 2 resolved it better (to my ears).

The track is Café Tacvba - Unplugged (1995) - Las Flores, at the intro.

Edit: An example of a song that was clearly much better to me using the mojo 2, is Frank Sinatra & Count Basie - I believe in you.

Last edited:
Mar 30, 2022 at 11:43 AM Post #21,809 of 22,960
Hi,

Thanks again,

Daniel
The static/EMI picked put by the mojo from the phone is normal, especially with the uber sensitive 846. Unfortunately with the mojo 2, that's something Chord did not improve on (maybe due to lack of space to make way for other improvements). The Hugo 2 has EMI shielding, but maybe they couldn't fit it in the mojo.

Mar 30, 2022 at 11:46 AM Post #21,810 of 22,960
Hi, with the dongle I can hear the noise as something low frequency, but unless I increase the volume (by a lot) could not distinguish it in detail. The MOJO 2 resolved it better (to my ears).

The track is Café Tacvba - Unplugged (1995) - Las Flores, at the intro.

Edit: An example of a song that was clearly much better to me using the mojo 2, is Frank Sinatra & Count Basie - I believe in you.
Thanks for answering. I guess it was more like a background presentation with the Apple dongle, instead of "in your face" as on Mojo. Only artist can say which one was his/her real intention. In any case I asked you because I find it hard to believe that there is a sound info within the original audio file, which cannot be heard with the Apple dongle but can be heard on another device. On the other hand it can very well be presented as more background on one, or more front row on another, depending on each device's characteristics, without being able to say that one is right or wrong...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back