Shure SE846 Impressions Thread
Feb 20, 2022 at 3:25 AM Post #21,782 of 22,960
No problem.

It may well be that the balanced implementation of that specific player is better than its single ended output — that I do not know.
I use 3.5mm single ended for my SE846 due to the low impedance
Thank you guys for the quick replies(i seem to forget that i posted in the first place 🥴)

Ya'll both post seem very reasonable and i strongly feel to agree. The Rai cable seems nice too. I will definately concider it when the economy recovers so i have wrote it down in my memo book. The balanced cables i bought did cost same as Rai silver plated MMCX so i think ill keep looking for an ohm adapter for my balanced cables cause adapters are cheap and research reasons, 😂.

If anyone on head-fi knows where to find one ohm adapter for 2.5mm balanced please feel free to suggest ^^ ill make sure to post an update with results.

Feb 20, 2022 at 4:56 AM Post #21,783 of 22,960
Anyone know any high end iem's with the same 3mm sound port diameter as on the se846?

I only ever use the comply professional series tips as there the ones that only work for me so looking for an iem that will fit those?

Thank you.

Feb 20, 2022 at 5:23 AM Post #21,784 of 22,960
Anyone know any high end iem's with the same 3mm sound port diameter as on the se846?

I only ever use the comply professional series tips as there the ones that only work for me so looking for an iem that will fit those?

Thank you.
dosnt comply also have ones with) larger diameter bore? (sound port).. Complys i had before did wear out and had to be replaced so i went for spin fits and boy.. did expensive comply ones seem like garbage. I remember i did modify the bore on comply and force fit onto larger bore iems and had fine results. I dont suggest it. but if you dare xD

Feb 20, 2022 at 5:44 AM Post #21,785 of 22,960
Comply do have ones with larger diameter bores but not the professional ones.
I did think about opening the bore diameter up but would be to much trouble considering I tend to replace them regular.
I have tried spin fits but for me not as good seal as the comply pro's.

Feb 20, 2022 at 6:06 AM Post #21,786 of 22,960
p
Comply do have ones with larger diameter bores but not the professional ones.
I did think about opening the bore diameter up but would be to much trouble considering I tend to replace them regular.
I have tried spin fits but for me not as good seal as the comply pro's.
which spinfit did you try? i got CP 240. I sure can say comply pros did sit better and did not slip out easily. Very good sound too but SpinFit cp240 had better sound and better seal overall however slip out more, cause ear canal sweating and they have to sit very deep into the ear canal which for me cause more wax build up deep inside the ear. Have to use oil from the farmacy to loosen the wax up and clean ears kind of often haha.

Why not try and send an email to Comply? Nothin to loose and maby they will suprize you. :)

Feb 20, 2022 at 11:13 AM Post #21,787 of 22,960
Thank you guys for the quick replies(i seem to forget that i posted in the first place 🥴)

Ya'll both post seem very reasonable and i strongly feel to agree. The Rai cable seems nice too. I will definately concider it when the economy recovers so i have wrote it down in my memo book. The balanced cables i bought did cost same as Rai silver plated MMCX so i think ill keep looking for an ohm adapter for my balanced cables cause adapters are cheap and research reasons, 😂.

If anyone on head-fi knows where to find one ohm adapter for 2.5mm balanced please feel free to suggest ^^ ill make sure to post an update with results.
Good luck. Yes, the Rai silver plated cable is not cheap. There are other cheaper cables that work fine as well. The Meze Rai cable has held up well over the last few years and is really light and comfortable to me. Honestly, I also really like the way it looks, which is why I got it in the first place. I also have a Hart Audio cable (really like their system) on my SE425 and used to use some Linsoul cables on my SE535 (now use them with a TW2).

Mar 5, 2022 at 10:34 PM Post #21,789 of 22,960
Interesting. Good info. Ety fans....move on....

I would like to think these impressions flat out disqualify at least 1/2 of head-fi crowd. The SE535 has very decent and deep bass. More bass than W4 and UE900. To SIGNIFICANTLY add to that would be way over the top for many out there. But not me.

But I would like to hear it as I could see the SE535 having a little more underlying fullness of sound which it sounds like SE846 does. Just wonder if the added bass is worth $600 over a $400 IEM?
I own them both. I was prepared to return the 535s if I didn’t hear a difference. The 846s are even more accurate than the 535s and after comparing the sound of both, the 535s sound like they simply don’t have base frequency. And if you use the Westone silicone tips, the 846s are super impressive.

Mar 24, 2022 at 11:58 AM Post #21,790 of 22,960
Hi all,

I recently bought a shure se846 for mobile use. Currently I have it plugged in my iPhone 6s+ using the apple dongle. The sound is quite ok, not as detailed as probably possible with a better dac/amp, but fine enough.

I also tried it directly from the headphone jack but the bass was quite overwhelming, the soundstage very closed, and sometimes the sound congested (phone output impedance almost the same as the IEMs impedance).

My phone will be updated in the next days to a newer iPhone 11, and want to get a proper DAC, but I am not sure if the sound will be much better as of now.

So far I was reading about the Chord MOJO 2, and the Dragonfly Cobalt.
In theory the Mojo is much better suited, but also bulky, more expensive and has a battery. The cobalt is a little cheaper, much smaller, and no battery worries, but I am afraid I could hear hiss or something of the like.

Would be the DFC a acceptable choice? Would I notice hiss? What are your thoughts on the Mojo 2 plus se846 combination? Would you recommend any other dac/amp?

Many thanks for your help.

Last edited:
Mar 24, 2022 at 12:30 PM Post #21,791 of 22,960
Hi all,

I recently bought a shure se846 for mobile use. Currently I have it plugged in my iPhone 6s+ using the apple dongle. The sound is quite ok, not as detailed as probably possible with a better dac/amp, but fine enough.

I also tried it directly from the headphone jack but the bass was quite overwhelming, the soundstage very closed, and sometimes the sound congested (phone output impedance almost the same as the IEMs impedance).

My phone will be updated in the next days to a newer iPhone 11, and want to get a proper DAC, but I am not sure if the sound will be much better as of now.

In theory the Mojo is much better suited, but also bulky, more expensive and has a battery. The cobalt is a little cheaper, much smaller, and no battery worries, but I am afraid I could hear hiss or something of the like.

Would be the DFC a acceptable choice? Would I notice hiss? What are your thoughts on the Mojo 2 plus se846 combination? Would you recommend any other dac/amp?

I'm a long time 846 user (and a long time Mojo user). I tried the Cobalt for a period, about a month. It's pretty clear-cut that if you value portability more, the Cobalt is the answer, and the Mojo vice-versa. The Cobalt is a good sounding device. It should certainly be better than the Apple dongle. It's musical and has a great sense of stage/space. But for micro-details, it ain't it. This is what disappointed me the most. You get it for macro details, not micro. With regard to the 846, there is a slight bit of detectable hiss (granted, I'm sensitive to it), but the music generally drowns it out. Shouldn't be a concern for most people.

On the side of the Mojo, it's a lovely pairing with the 846. Have always loved it. The 846 really wants a source that has a meaty low end and the Mojo provides it. The Mojo has a lush mid-range too that pairs nicely with the 846's forwardness there. Both the Mojo and 846 somewhat roll off in the upper treble, so you're not losing much there.

Being that the Mojo 2 is more neutral, has more treble detail, and greater space, I'm sure it would really up the ante with the 846. I haven't upgraded to it yet but will in due time.

FYI, the 846 is a picky IEM. I myself was underwhelmed with it in the beginning. I did the same and just plugged it into a phone headphone jack. Felt like I wasted $1K. I learned to up my sources and finally heard how it was supposed to sound. I remember having a real ah-ha moment with the iFi Micro iDSD. That's another fantastic pairing, albeit a bigger device. I always felt like Shure should include a disclaimer in the box that warns people that they won't hear the 846 as intended without an adequate source.

Hope this helps. Happy listening :)

Mar 24, 2022 at 3:45 PM Post #21,792 of 22,960
Hi all,

Honestly, for iPhone use you should consider the Hiby FC3 unless you just want to spend money. It operates well within the iPhone power specs and supports all of the streaming services with high-resolution and MQA. For the SE846, the FC3 has very low output impedance (0.07 ohm). It's also much cheaper than your other options.

https://www.hypethesonics.com/hiby-fc3-minihype/

For Mojo 2 prices you could get a really nice DAP like the FiiO M11 Plus.

Last edited:
Mar 25, 2022 at 2:08 PM Post #21,793 of 22,960
Many thanks for the replies!

I will try to test the Chord Mojo 2 at a local store next week, and probably the DFC and the Hiby if available. I have read there is no problem using the Mojo with iOs devices. Is there something else I shall be aware?

Thanks again,

Daniel

Mar 25, 2022 at 4:31 PM Post #21,794 of 22,960
Many thanks for the replies!

I will try to test the Chord Mojo 2 at a local store next week, and probably the DFC and the Hiby if available. I have read there is no problem using the Mojo with iOs devices. Is there something else I shall be aware?

Thanks again,

Daniel

I don't own a Mojo but it's definitely well regarded by many; for me it's just too big and heavy and doesn't support balanced output. It also doesn't support MQA, if that matters to you. I do own the DFC and FC3, with the main difference being that the DFC only supports up to 96 kHz (both support MQA). I personally use the FC3 with my iPhone - it's small and light and does everything I need. I use the DFC mostly with my MacBook (normally thrown in the bag). Obviously the Mojo has more power, but it's not needed with most IEMs, especially the SE846. You might want to check out the iFi Gryphon as another option to the Mojo for battery powered DACs. I've been tempted but I already have a FiiO Q5s for the rare times I need more power in a portable.

Last edited:
Mar 25, 2022 at 4:42 PM Post #21,795 of 22,960
I don't own a Mojo but it's definitely well regarded by many; for me it's just too big and heavy and doesn't support balanced output. It also doesn't support MQA, if that matters to you. I do own the DFC and FC3, with the main difference being that the DFC only supports up to 96 kHz (both support MQA). I personally use the FC3 with my iPhone - it's small and light and does everything I need. I use the DFC mostly with my MacBook (normally thrown in the bag). Obviously the Mojo has more power, but it's not needed with most IEMs, especially the SE846. You might want to check out the iFi Gryphon as another option to the Mojo for battery powered DACs.
Mojo is great as a laptop DAC/AMP. I have it and it was one reason I kept my se846, truly great coupling.
But for smartphone use I donno. Too bulky.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back