Shure SE846 Impressions Thread
Mar 13, 2021 at 1:50 PM Post #21,466 of 22,945
I’ve used them for a cracked SE846 ear bud just last year. I sent in both sides and they sent me a new pair. Shure is good about repairs as mine were out of the warranty period. To clarify a few things; you should use their online repair form, take a few pictures, provide proof of purchase, in few word clearly describe the issue and send in both earbuds all according to the instructions. They will give you a choice of repairing them or not even if it’s at no cost to you. Also I wouldn’t wait for a successor to the SE846 in hopes of being offered those as that may not happen at all. You want to use them just get them fixed.
That sounds like a very good experience to me! I did buy them second hand but I have the eBay receipt to prove that, so I think it should be okay. I'm just worried that me not being the original owner will make them not honor the warranty since they told me it's TYPICALLY non-transferrable. However, my hopes are up if yours were out of warranty and they still replaced them with no cost for you!

Mar 13, 2021 at 2:28 PM Post #21,467 of 22,945
That sounds like a very good experience to me! I did buy them second hand but I have the eBay receipt to prove that, so I think it should be okay. I'm just worried that me not being the original owner will make them not honor the warranty since they told me it's TYPICALLY non-transferrable. However, my hopes are up if yours were out of warranty and they still replaced them with no cost for you!
Hmm i‘m not sure. I tried to get the battery of my SE215 Bluetooth adapter which I bought off ebay repaired few months ago snd they didn‘t want to accept it as long as I wouldn‘t provide an original receipt or the serial number. (Which i didn‘t have because the original packaging wasn‘t provided with the ebay purchase.)

Mar 13, 2021 at 2:39 PM Post #21,468 of 22,945
Hmm i‘m not sure. I tried to get the battery of my SE215 Bluetooth adapter which I bought off ebay repaired few months ago snd they didn‘t want to accept it as long as I wouldn‘t provide an original receipt or the serial number. (Which i didn‘t have because the original packaging wasn‘t provided with the ebay purchase.)
They probably did that cause they want to be able to verify the authenticity of the product. However, if we're going off that logic it would be very easy to send in a fake with an authentic box and serial number and get it repaired. I have heard that the quality of customer service differs from country to country specifically outside the US and since you're in Austria you may have been dealing with similar people to this Reddit user I found earlier. A Reddit post I found about Shure UK Customer service. Luckily my pair did come with all the original packaging and serial number, and when I first got them they were actually able to trace that serial number back to a Shure certified dealer.

Mar 13, 2021 at 2:49 PM Post #21,469 of 22,945
@chrischong948 - I don't think the ebay receipt is the proof of purchase they would be looking for. To be honest, I wouldn't expect them to honor the warranty based on a second-hand eBay purchase. Very few companies seem to. If you go ahead with the repair, I would operate under the assumption that they will charge you or just send it back to you if you decline the repair. If they do not charge for the repair, then even better for you but, based on your facts, I would not send them in expecting the repair to be free. I paid the flat rate repair costs for my SE535s last year since they were out of warranty. When I sent them in, I did use the online portal and uploaded my receipt (from Shure) along with serial number from the box. Having those things does not mean they will repair free of charge. Just don't want you to get your hopes up.

Last edited:
Mar 13, 2021 at 3:18 PM Post #21,470 of 22,945
I don't think the ebay receipt is the proof of purchase they would be looking for. To be honest, I wouldn't expect them to honor the warranty based on a second-hand eBay purchase. Very few companies seem to. If you go ahead with the repair, I would operate under the assumption that they will charge you or just send it back to you if you decline the repair. If they do not charge for the repair, then even better for you but, based on your facts, I would not send them in expecting the repair to be free. I paid the flat rate repair costs for my SE535s last year since they were out of warranty. When I sent them in, I did use the online portal and uploaded my receipt (from Shure) along with serial number from the box. Having those things does not mean they will repair free of charge.
Maybe not, I tried to get the receipt from the second-hand seller and they told me it was a trade-in so that wouldn't be possible. It was someplace called "Hanson AV" and I guess they have multiple stores in the US. As I was reading that I'm pretty sure one of the drivers in the opened bud went out cause I lost 20% of the sound in the right channel and part of the soundstage just went *poof*. I'll probably decide to send them in or not in the next couple of weeks. Thanks to everyone who helped me anyway, your input is much appreciated!

Last edited:
Mar 14, 2021 at 12:32 PM Post #21,472 of 22,945
Felt bloated and unclean to me, not worth it for the price especially compared to other iems in its price bracket.
de gustibus non disputandum est.

EDIT:

Although I must admit that i find it a bit of an odd coincidence that 2 new headfiers should post almost exactly the same thing on here in the space of less than 2 weeks.

could you go into more detail as to what your impressions of the SE846 are? What source did you use? Filter colour? Was it stock or modified filter?

please do tell us more.

Last edited:
Mar 15, 2021 at 5:05 PM Post #21,473 of 22,945
Felt bloated and unclean to me, not worth it for the price especially compared to other iems in its price bracket.
Might be the bass (maybe you prefer a more bass-light signature) or the recessed treble (which these buds definitely have) or, as said above, your source.
But I wouldn't call them bloated and definitely not unclean.
Yes, the price could be lower even though there is some tendency towards that direction these last months.

Last edited:
Mar 18, 2021 at 12:21 PM Post #21,474 of 22,945
Does anyone know what the best filter mod would be to obtain a v shaped sound signature (even more so than standard)? I have done the Trishd mode (blue filter foam pushed all the way to the bottom) but am still finding myself eq'ing the absolute crap out of them to obtain a sound signature I like (extreme v shape I'd say)...

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Mar 18, 2021 at 12:25 PM Post #21,475 of 22,945
Does anyone know what the best filter mod would be to obtain a v shaped sound signature (even more so than standard)? I have done the Trishd mode (blue filter foam pushed all the way to the bottom) but am still finding myself eq'ing the absolute crap out of them to obtain a sound signature I like (extreme v shape I'd say)...

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Have you already tried how you like the sound with no filters inserted into the nozzles at all?

Mar 18, 2021 at 12:26 PM Post #21,476 of 22,945
Mar 19, 2021 at 2:23 AM Post #21,477 of 22,945
mkQkCrb.jpeg

After months of fiddling around with the SE846, scouring the interwebs for frequency curves and the like, I finally came across an equalization setting that balances out their sound!

This EQ curve tones down their low-mid end and low end just a bit, while making the sub-low end still enjoyable. The curve also massively improves the rolled off treble of these buds. The end result is a much more balanced sound, taming the low end a bit and adding the much needed sparkle these buds naturally lack, without piercing your ears!

My setup is:

- Poweramp v3 with the 31-band EQ setting enabled, using AptX HD streaming 16/48 FLACs, all running on a Pixel 5
- Shure RMCE-BT2
- Trishd Mod performed on Blue Filters
- Shure's Yellow Foam Tips

Of course, your mileage may vary. While looking up frequency curves for the 846, they all weren't consistent. The main points seem to point at a heavily rolled-off treble, with a little spike in the 7k - 10k frequency range. I've been critically listening to these settings for a few weeks now, and they still hold extremely well.

Anything to make these buds sound amazing!

Mar 19, 2021 at 12:50 PM Post #21,478 of 22,945
mkQkCrb.jpeg

After months of fiddling around with the SE846, scouring the interwebs for frequency curves and the like, I finally came across an equalization setting that balances out their sound!

This EQ curve tones down their low-mid end and low end just a bit, while making the sub-low end still enjoyable. The curve also massively improves the rolled off treble of these buds. The end result is a much more balanced sound, taming the low end a bit and adding the much needed sparkle these buds naturally lack, without piercing your ears!

My setup is:

- Poweramp v3 with the 31-band EQ setting enabled, using AptX HD streaming 16/48 FLACs, all running on a Pixel 5
- Shure RMCE-BT2
- Trishd Mod performed on Blue Filters
- Shure's Yellow Foam Tips

Of course, your mileage may vary. While looking up frequency curves for the 846, they all weren't consistent. The main points seem to point at a heavily rolled-off treble, with a little spike in the 7k - 10k frequency range. I've been critically listening to these settings for a few weeks now, and they still hold extremely well.

Anything to make these buds sound amazing!
That makes sense.
My experience with equalizing these was with USB Audio Player Pro which I often use to stream Tidal.
I did sometimes try to tamper with the treble but the results were underwhelming.
Somehow the whole sound was dampening so to speak.
But must be an issue with this player or something I am doing wrong...

Mar 20, 2021 at 7:04 PM Post #21,479 of 22,945
You did mention at an earlier post about the Sony tips where you shared a photo as well.
Personally I ended up interchanging between Spinfit cp800s and westone stars after.a lot of experimenting with tips for my se846s.
Haven't had the chance to try the spinfit bore adapters yet. I am sure this would open up new possibilities of different types of tips.
I believe the more externally the tip fixes in the ear canal the better the stage. I verified this with IEMs having a bigger bore diameter (e.g. Mackie mp series). Not sure if this would be the case with IEMs designed to be placed deeper in the canal though, such as Shure and Westone.
Any idea where to purchase the spinfit adapters in Europe?
Used the bore part of silicone Shure olives as adapter (cutting the outer part) and tried the Sennheiser IE pro silicones first (which remarkably kinda evaporates the bass) and the Mackie mp series silicone tips (photo) with better results.
I dare say the whole experience seems more focused than the cp-800s.
Not sure if that is because of the wider inner diameter or the material characteristics of the silicone of the Mackie tips.
20210321_002431.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back