SE846 Filter mod
Mar 21, 2016 at 2:02 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 251

Jamnperry

100+ Head-Fier

I already posted this in a couple threads but thought it deserved it's own thread.
Inspired by the SE535 filter/damper mod thread, I wondered if there was an easy tweak of the 846. They look to be the same filters but implemented differently to make filter changing user friendly in the 846. To use the Knowles dampers in the 846 you have to find a way to widen the filter or it just falls out from the larger opening of the 846.
I found that a cut section of cotton swabs I had on hand fit the opening in the 846 pretty snugly. To get the tiny filter inside the swab tube I slightly reamed it wider and was then able to force the filter in. If you notice before you pull out your existing filter, it protrudes out around 1/8 inch or so. So once you have filter inserted, you trim the tube to just past the filter to get the right size. It won't thread all the way closed if it's too long. 
I used the white filter and compared it to the white shure. I've been listening all weekend and got to say it's a very worthwhile upgrade. Across the board the resolution, decay, ambience is better. Top end extension is there yet not at all grating or fatiguing. Bass is more defined.  Mids clear yet retaining warmth. 
No doubt there's better ways to do this but if you have the filters on hand this is a must try. Quite frankly, I'm really surprised at the difference this makes.
If I can find a good way to take pics, I will. Camera I have not good on macro shots though. 

Apr 30, 2016 at 3:32 PM Post #2 of 251
Finally got some other filters and I think I've settled on the red knowles. It has the warmth of the blue (without the foam) but much more detailed. My go to tracks are Ellington Blues In Orbit and Kendrick Lamar's latest. The sibilant vocals on the Kendrick is tamed just enough without rolling it off like the stock filter does. Bass is better defined with the subtle nuances. Mids are just as lovely. Pace is also better.
I can't go back to to stock. If anyone wants to see for yourself, willing to lend some already made to someone with a long history here. I won't send the Reds but there's no mistaking a clear difference between these and stock.

May 4, 2016 at 10:07 AM Post #3 of 251
Finally got some other filters and I think I've settled on the red knowles. It has the warmth of the blue (without the foam) but much more detailed. My go to tracks are Ellington Blues In Orbit and Kendrick Lamar's latest. The sibilant vocals on the Kendrick is tamed just enough without rolling it off like the stock filter does. Bass is better defined with the subtle nuances. Mids are just as lovely. Pace is also better.
I can't go back to to stock. If anyone wants to see for yourself, willing to lend some already made to someone with a long history here. I won't send the Reds but there's no mistaking a clear difference between these and stock.

Where can I get these filters? Can you send me some?

May 4, 2016 at 11:42 AM Post #4 of 251
You can order a whole set of different filters from Mouser for around $20. The links are on the 535 filter mod front page. At first pretty difficult pressing the filter into the swab but if you ream it slightly with a toothpick or something it will help it get started then just press it in. Holds really tight. I'm a clumsy 60 yr old so pretty much anyone can do this.
Trust me. Well worth the effort. I have some made up but not ready to give away just yet.

May 4, 2016 at 12:18 PM Post #6 of 251
They have other uses and they were never specifically made for the Shure's at all. And yes they work. They are the same size as the Shure. I assume that Shure utilized them that way with them mounted inside a long and smaller opening tube to be more user friendly. Took me 2 days to find one I dropped on my rug so smart move for them.
The 846 is way more responsive to filter changes than the 535. The differences in their own filters is really pronounced and same is true of the Knowles. I can distinctly hear the differences.

May 4, 2016 at 2:59 PM Post #8 of 251
Yes tips make a difference for sure. I'm my experience the triple flange will give you a deeper tighter bass than most IMO but aren't that comfortable. Personally I've settled on the SpinFits but it's a very personal choice for most and can't say one is universally better than others.

May 4, 2016 at 3:01 PM Post #9 of 251
Yes tips make a difference for sure. I'm my experience the triple flange will give you a deeper tighter bass than most IMO but aren't that comfortable. Personally I've settled on the SpinFits but it's a very personal choice for most and can't say one is universally better than others.

I meant Q-tip. 

May 4, 2016 at 3:17 PM Post #10 of 251
It doesn't work unless it's widened slightly. You'll understand when you see it. The swab tube is the perfect size and will only go in around 1/8th" past the filter. It won't move once you close it up.

May 5, 2016 at 12:36 AM Post #11 of 251
You can order a whole set of different filters from Mouser for around $20. The links are on the 535 filter mod front page. At first pretty difficult pressing the filter into the swab but if you ream it slightly with a toothpick or something it will help it get started then just press it in. Holds really tight. I'm a clumsy 60 yr old so pretty much anyone can do this.
Trust me. Well worth the effort. I have some made up but not ready to give away just yet.

When buying from mouser, Qty =1 means one damper? So I would need to buy 2 qty as a pair, right?
thanks

Jun 15, 2016 at 3:39 PM Post #14 of 251
Your welcome Miguel. Thanks to another member here who did some tests there may be a slight improvement if you can seal it. I'm going to try a tiny bit of silicone grease around it to seal and keep it from shifting. He's trying an adhesive glue that could work too. I will post here if it makes an audible difference.

Jun 15, 2016 at 6:37 PM Post #15 of 251
Gracias Jamnperry,

I mean that the adjustment in my case is perfect

I introduced the swab completely into the filter and later flush cut

does not exist  movement of the filter,

perfect fit when the screw  is placed It is placed again in the handset

Users who are viewing this thread

Back