Shure SE846 Impressions Thread
Mar 3, 2021 at 6:44 PM Post #21,391 of 22,945
Every 846 has a 3-digit number embossed on the bottom of them. Also all the 846 does have the Shure name and numbered components on at least of the earphones (the right one if I recall correctly). The only outwardly and immediately noticeable change might be the outer shell as I do believe they made slight changes to them.
It has all the writings on it like mines.

It's just the bottom of it doesn't have the gold spot and the chips are smaller.

Other than that everything else is the same. I just don't understand why Shure would change the design. On the box it came in, the design is still the same as the original with big motherboard chips.

Mar 3, 2021 at 6:44 PM Post #21,392 of 22,945
I emailed Shure a pic and their response was

"Thanks for contacting Shure.

Often times, we are able to make a determination based on pictures. Unfortunately, in this case, we are not able to make a determination from the pictures. If you would still like a determination made, please send the product to us for a hands on inspection.
Shure Inc
Attn: Service
945 Chaddick Drive
Wheeling, IL 60090"

I feel like they are fake at this point. Honestly I'm disappointed if they really are because these are very expensive and for them to slip through Amazon's radar as counterfeit would be a big problem.
I think if they were fake you would hear the difference.
I would suggest you take some more detailed high definition photos and ask Shure again.

Mar 4, 2021 at 3:26 AM Post #21,393 of 22,945
I emailed Shure a pic and their response was

"Thanks for contacting Shure.

Often times, we are able to make a determination based on pictures. Unfortunately, in this case, we are not able to make a determination from the pictures. If you would still like a determination made, please send the product to us for a hands on inspection.
Shure Inc
Attn: Service
945 Chaddick Drive
Wheeling, IL 60090"

I feel like they are fake at this point. Honestly I'm disappointed if they really are because these are very expensive and for them to slip through Amazon's radar as counterfeit would be a big problem.
Send them to Shure and keep Amazon in the loop? Or maybe write to Amazon and tell them if this before you do it? It may literally be just a storm in a teacup but at least your expenditure will be reimbursed if they are fake.

Mar 4, 2021 at 5:15 AM Post #21,394 of 22,945
Send them to Shure and keep Amazon in the loop? Or maybe write to Amazon and tell them if this before you do it? It may literally be just a storm in a teacup but at least your expenditure will be reimbursed if they are fake.
Gonna just return them to Amazon for a replacement and see how the replacement looks.

I've been using them for a few hours now and it sounds nothing like my SE846 so now I 100% believe they are fake because I checked all ebay listing, reseller sites and YouTube video reviews in the past 6 months and they all have the gold spot at the bottom with the bigger chips.

Can't believe clones are getting this good. Be careful guys.

Mar 4, 2021 at 5:26 AM Post #21,395 of 22,945
Gonna just return them to Amazon for a replacement and see how the replacement looks.

I've been using them for a few hours now and it sounds nothing like my SE846 so now I 100% believe they are fake because I checked all ebay listing, reseller sites and YouTube video reviews in the past 6 months and they all have the gold spot at the bottom with the bigger chips.

I bought mine from Amazon, they have the gold spot and I know they are the real deal because mine developed a fault in the left IEM and I had it serviced by the official distributor who replaced the faulty IEM free of charge. If it was fake they wouldn't have honoured the warranty and would have told me.

Don't ask for a replacement, IF it is a fake and Amazon are being supplied fake goods they will probably (unknowingly) supply the same fake goods again. Tell them about your concerns so that they can refund your money and check their own supplier, to make sure other people aren't suffering the same fate. out of curiosity what did you pay?

Last edited:
Mar 4, 2021 at 5:31 AM Post #21,396 of 22,945
I bought mine from Amazon, they have the gold spot and I know they are the real deal because mine developed a fault in the left IEM and I had it serviced by the official distributor who replaced the faulty IEM free of charge. If it was fake they wouldn't have honoured the warranty and would have told me.

Don't ask for a replacement, IF it is a fake and Amazon are being supplied fake goods they will probably (unknowingly) supply the same fake goods again. Tell them about your concerns so that they can refund your money and check their own supplier, to make sure other people aren't suffering the same fate. out of curiosity what did you pay?
I paid $880+ tax

Yea I'm gonna ask Amazon who's supplying them because it says sold and shipped from Amazon so it's not 3rd party.

Mar 4, 2021 at 6:03 AM Post #21,397 of 22,945

Were they sealed? Just a guess, but maybe someone bought em, replaced the iems by fake ones off aliexpress and sent em back amazon. That way they would have got originals for 60$..

Mar 4, 2021 at 6:11 AM Post #21,399 of 22,945
Were they sealed? Just a guess, but maybe someone bought em, replaced the iems by fake ones off aliexpress and sent em back amazon. That way they would have got originals for 60$..
Yup it was sealed. The box has a tape like seal like the ones on mail envelopes. I watched him open it, the seal was so strong he had to tear the box

All the accessories are OEM and real. The box is real. Everything is real but the IEMs are questionable. I just can't think who would go through all this hassle to replace the real with fakes.

Ill

Mar 4, 2021 at 9:09 AM Post #21,401 of 22,945
Yes, I have SE846 with the FiiO LC-RE. It's a very nice, soft cable and works perfectly. I'm not one to assign magical properties to cables, but I have no regrets on this one at least. It also has the swappable connectors which are very cool (although I run my SE846 exclusively single-ended to prevent impedance matching issues). The balanced connectors may come in handy if I swap it to another MMCX IEM.
Great, thanks!
Agree on magical properties. But you didn´t recognise any sound differences compared to other replacement or original cable?

Mar 4, 2021 at 9:32 AM Post #21,402 of 22,945
Great, thanks!
Agree on magical properties. But you didn´t recognise any sound differences compared to other replacement or original cable?

I did not notice any change in sound that I could confidently describe (over the stock cable). That doesn't mean much as my older ears aren't as "golden" as some here seem to be.

Mar 4, 2021 at 9:18 PM Post #21,404 of 22,945

I agree. I wouldn’t waste my time dealing with Shure. Just return them to Amazon. You may just want to get a refund, then buy it from another authorized dealer, like Sweetwater or Musician’s Friend, or another smaller store. You’re MUCH less likely to get a fake there, and you’re paying full price anyways.

Mar 5, 2021 at 5:52 AM Post #21,405 of 22,945
How do these compare to more recent offerings around the £600 to 800 mark?

I owned them a few years ago and always regretted moving them on. Thinking of buying again but a little worried that they might not have fared well with all the new young guns in the scene!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back