Shure SE846 Impressions Thread
Feb 20, 2021 at 7:29 PM Post #21,376 of 22,954
Can someone please recommend a balanced 4.4 cable which sounds like the stock cable you get with the Shure 846?

I have already bought a few cables from Aliexpress and they all add something. Copper cables make the Shure 846 warmer and silver brighter but I want neither of these things. I like the way the stock cable sounds - I just need it in the 4.4 balanced format. Also can't deal with cheap plastic ear hooks. I like the metal lined ear hook you get with the stock cable and how you can mould it to the ear shape. Please recommend a cable based on my preference, very much appreciated!
I didn’t really notice any significant difference in sound between the stock se846 clear kevlar cable and the Tripowin C8.

Mar 1, 2021 at 3:25 AM Post #21,378 of 22,954
Does anyone on this thread use a Chord Mojo with their SE846’s? Did you notice an improvement front any previous DAC you used?

not regularly but sometimes yes. I normally pair the SE846s with a dragonfly cobalt but when I used them with the mojo for comparison it proved to be an excellent DAC but that is the case regardless of the headphones I have used on it.

Last edited:
Mar 1, 2021 at 9:10 AM Post #21,379 of 22,954
not regularly but sometimes yes. I normally pair the SE846s with a dragonfly cobalt but when I used them with the mojo for comparison it proved to be an excellent DAC but that is the case regardless of the headphones I have used on it.
Thanks for replying! I would like to do a side by side to see how different it sounds. Maybe I'll bite the bullet and get a used one, the market seems pretty strong for Mojo's so I'm sure I could easily sell it if I wanted to after

Mar 1, 2021 at 9:28 AM Post #21,380 of 22,954
Thanks for replying! I would like to do a side by side to see how different it sounds. Maybe I'll bite the bullet and get a used one, the market seems pretty strong for Mojo's so I'm sure I could easily sell it if I wanted to after

I'm not saying that it's probably a general thing, but it took me quite a while (many months, if not even more than a year or two) to find someone who bought mine, even though it was in pristine, like-new condition.

Mar 1, 2021 at 12:25 PM Post #21,382 of 22,954
I think there’s a recent comparison between the mojo and the DFC here but in my humble opinion the mojo is one of (if not the) best DAC in its price range.

Last edited:
Mar 3, 2021 at 1:32 PM Post #21,383 of 22,954
Hey guys. I've owned the SE846 for 3 years now and my brother has liked it and I decided to order one for him on Amazon yesterday. It arrived today but when I compare his SE846 to mines, they look so different to a point where I don't know if his is fake or just "updated"

I know mines are real for sure. I will post the pics below to show the differences and you guys decide if it's a fake.

The gold spot on mines isn't on the new one and the motherboard chips are smaller while they're bigger on mines. Debating if I should return them at this point

Pic 1

Pic 2

Last edited:
Mar 3, 2021 at 4:09 PM Post #21,385 of 22,954
FIIO LC RE
Has anyone tried these cables with the SE846? Opinions?
Which are the replacement cables that best work with the SE846?
Thanks.

Yes, I have SE846 with the FiiO LC-RE. It's a very nice, soft cable and works perfectly. I'm not one to assign magical properties to cables, but I have no regrets on this one at least. It also has the swappable connectors which are very cool (although I run my SE846 exclusively single-ended to prevent impedance matching issues). The balanced connectors may come in handy if I swap it to another MMCX IEM.

Mar 3, 2021 at 4:42 PM Post #21,386 of 22,954
Hey guys. I've owned the SE846 for 3 years now and my brother has liked it and I decided to order one for him on Amazon yesterday. It arrived today but when I compare his SE846 to mines, they look so different to a point where I don't know if his is fake or just "updated"

I know mines are real for sure. I will post the pics below to show the differences and you guys decide if it's a fake.

The gold spot on mines isn't on the new one and the motherboard chips are smaller while they're bigger on mines. Debating if I should return them at this point

Pic 1

Pic 2

Where did you buy them from?

Mine are like yours, with the gold spot on the bottom, the shure writing on one of the armatures and a slightly more 'complicated' look. How do they sound? Have you compared them with yours?

I have put my se846 up for sale. I really liked them but they were not reliable. I had a broken mmcx connector on my first set. I then bought a second set and the same thing happened. Shure won't repair them, only replace (at close to rrp). I had them repaired but now find out that the RMCE-LTG cable isn't supported and the TW1 wireless cable is awful. Fed up of them now.

Just moved to some LCDi3's and I am VERY impressed. They sound A LOT better than my SE846 imo. The cipher cable is great and the app is good too. The only issue is they probably won't be as durable in day to day use unless I am very careful and I can't seem to find a fit that is good enough for me to use them when cycling or running.

Mar 3, 2021 at 5:45 PM Post #21,387 of 22,954

Pic 1

Pic 2
Anyway you can verify with shure? Also was it Amazon or a third party?

Oh and nice gesture on your part btw, bet he was well chuffed.

Mar 3, 2021 at 6:24 PM Post #21,388 of 22,954

Pic 1

Pic 2
Every 846 has a 3-digit number embossed on the bottom of them. Also all the 846 does have the Shure name and numbered components on at least of the earphones (the right one if I recall correctly). The only outwardly and immediately noticeable change might be the outer shell as I do believe they made slight changes to them.

Mar 3, 2021 at 6:29 PM Post #21,389 of 22,954
I bought them on Amazon

This one- https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07W6S1BDX/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_glt_fabc_33KEJ2BZRBJK3G5JSCQX

Amazon was where I also bought my first pair so I trusted them.

As for sound quality, I can't really tell the difference tbh. I tried putting my left in my left ear and his right in my right ear to see if there's a difference in sound but I can't really tell.

I heard fakes can sound as good as the real ones so I'm not gonna base it off sound quality.

Mar 3, 2021 at 6:36 PM Post #21,390 of 22,954
Anyway you can verify with shure? Also was it Amazon or a third party?

Oh and nice gesture on your part btw, bet he was well chuffed.
I emailed Shure a pic and their response was

"Thanks for contacting Shure.

Often times, we are able to make a determination based on pictures. Unfortunately, in this case, we are not able to make a determination from the pictures. If you would still like a determination made, please send the product to us for a hands on inspection.
Shure Inc
Attn: Service
945 Chaddick Drive
Wheeling, IL 60090"

I feel like they are fake at this point. Honestly I'm disappointed if they really are because these are very expensive and for them to slip through Amazon's radar as counterfeit would be a big problem.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back