Shure SE846 Impressions Thread
Oct 8, 2020 at 8:55 PM Post #21,046 of 22,945
@mvw2 the effect you describe may be due to the low impedance of the SE846, which, combined with its rather uneven impedance curve over frequency makes it rather sensitive to the amps output impedance. Generally less than 1ohm is recommended for the SE846.

Yep, it could be. I'm just playing off an Asus ROG Phone II, and I haven't found the impedance of the output. All I know is I haven't gotten the same behavior with other IEMs I have, but that's not saying much. I know the SE846 is sensitive to this. I just can't confirm the setup of the source player to confirm/deny this is an issue. My amp/dac is an old Meier Corda 2Move which has <1 ohm output impedance.

Oct 8, 2020 at 10:30 PM Post #21,047 of 22,945
I heard you can do the green damper filter mod on the se535 that will improve the bass. I know this is the se846 thread but just in case some one here knows how to do the mod on the se535 here and could point me out to some links , thanks

Oct 9, 2020 at 12:31 AM Post #21,048 of 22,945
Sure thing, there's a thread on this very topic right here at Head-Fi :ksc75smile:

https://www.head-fi.org/threads/se5...re-sq-improvement-than-cables-dampers.663273/

iirc someone came up with a FR graph of all the different filters, will highlight exactly what changes you can expect.

I bought mine from AliExpress, took forever to arrive, but worth it. There's a tool you can get specifically for the dampers that makes it dead easy to swap them to work out what you like. I think I paid about $50 for several pairs of 5 different filter types, didn't want to ever have to order them again in case i broke one..
Neweymatt posted the answer about filter change in case anyone wanted to know.

Oct 9, 2020 at 6:53 PM Post #21,049 of 22,945
Thank you for the replies !! And sheer coincidence: I noticed in the Keane video I posted, they must have been sponsored and paid by Shure, because you see 'Shure' nonstop!!!

I AGREE about 'would like amp'd up' !! It's all that 'defintion'/'isolation' of every different thing that's the band members are doing that has the 846 standout.

I do NOT understand: WHY can't I buy the 846 cheap/discounted? When I bought it the 1st time, by mistake I bought it from Hong Kong for $800 (Shure customer service verified it was real...), because they did NOT mention Hong Kong, but it arrived literally within 24 hours which I thought was amazing.
Right now online I see the 846 for $899 everywhere - NO place cheaper. Why the heck is that??? It's been out for years and years, so price OUGHT to go way down!?!
And I also don't understand why Shure hasn't gotten a new version of the 846 created that INCLUDES an amp'?? (And I also wish Shure had an mp3 player perfect for it, too...)

Oct 9, 2020 at 7:21 PM Post #21,050 of 22,945
Is this the same thing as 'SE846-CL' - any downside to buying this? And why is it $850 (multiple sellers) when the SE846-CL has a best-price of $899?
New Shure SE846 CL+BT2 Wireless In-Ear Headphones with Bluetooth 5.0 IEM - Clear
1 viewed per hour
  • Picture 1 of 4
  • Picture 2 of 4
  • Picture 3 of 4
  • Picture 4 of 4

• Picture 2 of 4
  • Picture 3 of 4
  • Picture 4 of 4
$850.00
Free Shipping

Oct 9, 2020 at 9:43 PM Post #21,051 of 22,945
Thank you for the replies !! And sheer coincidence: I noticed in the Keane video I posted, they must have been sponsored and paid by Shure, because you see 'Shure' nonstop!!!

I AGREE about 'would like amp'd up' !! It's all that 'defintion'/'isolation' of every different thing that's the band members are doing that has the 846 standout.

I do NOT understand: WHY can't I buy the 846 cheap/discounted? When I bought it the 1st time, by mistake I bought it from Hong Kong for $800 (Shure customer service verified it was real...), because they did NOT mention Hong Kong, but it arrived literally within 24 hours which I thought was amazing.
Right now online I see the 846 for $899 everywhere - NO place cheaper. Why the heck is that??? It's been out for years and years, so price OUGHT to go way down!?!
And I also don't understand why Shure hasn't gotten a new version of the 846 created that INCLUDES an amp'?? (And I also wish Shure had an mp3 player perfect for it, too...)
It's called Supply and Demand. As long as there are lots of threads like this one, newbies feel that the Shure se846 is a safe bet for an audiophile quality IEM. If you want a great deal, get one on eBay. You can get them in the $4xx range.

Oct 9, 2020 at 11:45 PM Post #21,052 of 22,945
Right now online I see the 846 for $899 everywhere - NO place cheaper. Why the heck is that??? It's been out for years and years, so price OUGHT to go way down!?

Not sure I quite understand your entire post and don't know where you are located but I have seen them cheaper here in the US. In fact, I bought mine (BT1 version) for $630 + tax from Amazon earlier this year so they do go on sale. As for why they are not cheaper...my guess is because people are still buying them at the current prices. They are great IEMs and I love mine.

Oct 10, 2020 at 3:54 AM Post #21,053 of 22,945
I don't think things have to loose value over time, and I really respect Shure for giving the SE846 such a long run. I really don't understand how customers can fall for those that bring out a new model every year (or in some cases even more often) that don't really show progress. They may correct flaws in their predecessor but that's only correcting for errors which should have been avoided and may well have been introduced due to a rushed introduction. But as long as customers do buy beta products this strategy will pay off unfortunately.

I know that many boutique manufacturers just don't have the resources to get it right on the first try. But a larger company should get their act together and finish a product before charging money for it. Part of my overall dissatisfaction with how the headphone scene develops...

Yes, I think the SE846 are still relevant and worth their asking price.

Oct 10, 2020 at 7:30 AM Post #21,054 of 22,945
I don't think things have to loose value over time, and I really respect Shure for giving the SE846 such a long run. I really don't understand how customers can fall for those that bring out a new model every year (or in some cases even more often) that don't really show progress. They may correct flaws in their predecessor but that's only correcting for errors which should have been avoided and may well have been introduced due to a rushed introduction. But as long as customers do buy beta products this strategy will pay off unfortunately.

I know that many boutique manufacturers just don't have the resources to get it right on the first try. But a larger company should get their act together and finish a product before charging money for it. Part of my overall dissatisfaction with how the headphone scene develops...

Thoroughly agree with your comments

Oct 10, 2020 at 8:44 AM Post #21,056 of 22,945

Agreed and very.well put. I also appreciate that Shure does not try to force a new version every year and have made tweaks over the years instead such as adding bluetooth adapters.

It also allows me to get continued repairs and support for older models. I am rather attached to my Shure IEMs and was able to get my old SE535s repaired a few months ago.

Oct 10, 2020 at 9:08 AM Post #21,057 of 22,945

Agreed! While the se846 may not be the best in any one particular area, they are just so well balanced overall, thus they stand the test of time. Durability also stands the test of time. These are stage monitors and are meant to deal with abuse. I use mine primarily as a stage monitor, and in that capacity, they are phenomenal (I don’t abuse my gear tho), but they are equally good at listening to at home, or on a plane. The MSRP is still high b/c people still want it. As mentioned above, they want a product that they know is well built, excellent sounding, comfortable, versatile, and durable. A product being able to last for years and still be great is a HUGE and RARE asset, especially in these disposable times of planned obsolescence.

That being said, if patient, you can find them on sale new. O/w look for a good used pair. There are enough people that don’t know the value of a time-tested item, and just want the next shiny object, thus you can find them used for a good price.

Last edited:
Oct 10, 2020 at 1:43 PM Post #21,058 of 22,945
Thank you for the WONDERFUL comments !! The reason I want to get 'a good deal' is that I'd like to buy at least 2 and possibly a 3rd pair. I love to listen to music on them and I own a little bunch of SanDisk mp3 players/ClipSport. I am not at all a shopper, or 'buyer' - no interest - and buy maybe 4 things online every 2 years.... Yes, yes, my present pair is wrecked, but I KNOW what incredible value I got from them - surely thousands of hours of listening to music on them. (I had owned ~4 Bose prior to this, and I was shocked at how all the Bose sound like JUNK compared to these).
It's actually 'weird-feeling' because, for me, the SE846 are like prescription eyeglasses I NEED - I have a far stronger 'pull' to the SE846 than, say, going without a little microwave oven, or contact lenses.
I want to buy new, because I don't want to wind up with a pair that had a prior owner/purchaser who was ANYTHING like me ( I did NOT mean to wreck them ((all of us are not fastidious/NeatFreaks)), and I think I can avoid wrecking them from now on).
I put a 'Watch' on Ebay and I'll do that on Amazon, too - I've never heard of 'Amazon Prime Day' and I'd also have been totally clueless to think of Black Friday days being quite close.

Oct 10, 2020 at 2:22 PM Post #21,059 of 22,945
I requested SE846 on drop.com (massdrop).
And I made an alert for myself on camelcamelcamel

But one new question - is this cord worth buying??
OFC Upgrade Audio Cable Cord for Shure SE846 SE535 SE425 SE315 SE215 UE900 (Black)
Visit the Sqrmekoko Store

3.3 out of 5 stars 76 ratings

| 9 answered questions

Price:$12.88 & FREE Shipping on orders over $25.00 shipped by Amazon. Details & FREE Returns

Get a $100 Amazon.com Gift Card upon approval for the Amazon Business American Express Card. Terms apply.

Color: Black
  • Black

$12.88
  • White

$22.98

• Cord Length: 120cm (1 year warranty on parts and labor)
  • Better sound range, Strong and solid quality, Better extension of high frequencies.
  • PVC Material with 32 cores and oxygen-free copper(OFC), 250D nylon, with gold-plated jack
  • for Shure SE846 SE535 SE425 SE315 SE215 UE900
  • Package included: upgrade cord*1.(earphone not included)

Oct 10, 2020 at 3:12 PM Post #21,060 of 22,945
I requested SE846 on drop.com (massdrop).
And I made an alert for myself on camelcamelcamel

But one new question - is this cord worth buying??
OFC Upgrade Audio Cable Cord for Shure SE846 SE535 SE425 SE315 SE215 UE900 (Black)
Visit the Sqrmekoko Store

3.3 out of 5 stars 76 ratings

| 9 answered questions

Price:$12.88 & FREE Shipping on orders over $25.00 shipped by Amazon. Details & FREE Returns

Get a $100 Amazon.com Gift Card upon approval for the Amazon Business American Express Card. Terms apply.

Color: Black
  • Black

$12.88
  • White

$22.98

• Cord Length: 120cm (1 year warranty on parts and labor)
  • Better sound range, Strong and solid quality, Better extension of high frequencies.
  • PVC Material with 32 cores and oxygen-free copper(OFC), 250D nylon, with gold-plated jack
  • for Shure SE846 SE535 SE425 SE315 SE215 UE900
  • Package included: upgrade cord*1.(earphone not included)
I wouldn’t get it. I think the stock Shure cables are perfectly fine, and are durable. The only cable I purchased that made an improvement in sound on the se846 was a silver cable, called the TRN T3. You can get it for around $23 on AliExpress (ordering it from China), but even then, it kept cutting out on my left earpiece (with 2 different cables). So, I just use the clear/kevlar wrapped Shure cable.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back