Shure SE846 Impressions Thread
Jun 6, 2020 at 2:45 PM Post #20,821 of 22,945
Wow, whoever says these things are lacking in high end... I have to imagine it's an OI issue... I'll be back with some more in depth thoughts after I can digest all of this & experiment with tips / filters... but WOW!!!!

Jun 6, 2020 at 2:57 PM Post #20,822 of 22,945
Wow, whoever says these things are lacking in high end... I have to imagine it's an OI issue... I'll be back with some more in depth thoughts after I can digest all of this & experiment with tips / filters... but WOW!!!!
I think that’s probably often the case. People may have heard them with a poorly matched source, and formed their opinions based on that. Ironically, those that just plugged them into their phone were probably a lot more impressed.

Jun 6, 2020 at 3:06 PM Post #20,823 of 22,945
Jun 6, 2020 at 4:42 PM Post #20,824 of 22,945

I recently moved to a Sony Walkman WM1A, with a measured OI of 0.92 ohms, and experienced what the SE846 are capable of... wow, what a sound.

Jun 7, 2020 at 1:32 AM Post #20,825 of 22,945
I can recommend a DFC with SE846. Measured OI less than 0.5 Ohm. Plenty of treble. While SE846 hissed a bit on DFR, it's hiss-free on DFC.
Also experiment with tips. I'm getting best results with deep insertion. Can recommend spinfits CP240 for best SQ.

Jun 7, 2020 at 11:47 AM Post #20,826 of 22,945
I owned the SE846 for many years. I even modded they heck out of them with both large and small filters, cables, etc. I ended up selling them. They are great iems, extremely well built and packaged, but many better iems have come out that just eclipse the SE846 for pennies on the dollar compared to it. Shure should’ve improved on it a long time ago. If they added a super tweeter that added some highs, and more importantly, some air up top, and improved the soundstage, they would have the best iem on the market.

Jun 7, 2020 at 12:09 PM Post #20,827 of 22,945
I owned the SE846 for many years. I even modded they heck out of them with both large and small filters, cables, etc. I ended up selling them. They are great iems, extremely well built and packaged, but many better iems have come out that just eclipse the SE846 for pennies on the dollar compared to it. Shure should’ve improved on it a long time ago. If they added a super tweeter that added some highs, and more importantly, some air up top, and improved the soundstage, they would have the best iem on the market.
Can you tell some that are better then SE846 at same price or less?

Jun 7, 2020 at 3:58 PM Post #20,828 of 22,945

What about for those who don't care for extended treble? Whenever I see statements about new iems eclipsing the Shures in performance they only ever mention treble performance...

Jun 7, 2020 at 8:27 PM Post #20,831 of 22,945
Honestly, I think BLON is better for movies, than SE846. Both sound and comfort. I watch movies on my Oculus VR set usually, and prefer BLON over my SE846. I don‘t use BLON for music though, it doesn‘t stand a chnce for music against SE846. Not even against a Starfield...
My sentiments exactly! Though, when using the se846 for movies, it is a more detailed and still thoroughly enjoyable experience, just not as exciting sounding as the BLONs. Gotta love the DD bass impact for movies.

Jun 8, 2020 at 7:43 AM Post #20,835 of 22,945
03. You want to have as much bass as possible for movies. Get you BL-03 while you can, I suspect they will discontinue them, as the BL-05 is a new model with a similar pricing...
Definitely 03. I certainly hope they won’t discontinue them, unless they match their sound in a better, more ergonomic shell.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back