Shure SE846 Impressions Thread
Feb 2, 2020 at 2:21 PM Post #20,612 of 22,945
I have a quick question regarding the size / fit of the 846 from 2015 vs the updated ones from 2019. Are the newer ones any smaller than the older ones ? and do they fit any differently from the older ones?

Thanks for any info that can be provided.

Mike

Feb 2, 2020 at 2:28 PM Post #20,613 of 22,945
I have a quick question regarding the size / fit of the 846 from 2015 vs the updated ones from 2019. Are the newer ones any smaller than the older ones ? and do they fit any differently from the older ones?

Mike

There is no difference in the IEM, just the bundled accessories, specifically the BT2 cable option.

Feb 2, 2020 at 2:32 PM Post #20,614 of 22,945

Mike
There is a revision to the IEM itself, but it's just that they switched from MMCX sockets with a gold body to ones with a silver colored one.

Feb 5, 2020 at 8:29 AM Post #20,615 of 22,945
The BT1 version is on sale again on Amazon for 629. Just ordered a black one.

Feb 5, 2020 at 9:15 AM Post #20,616 of 22,945
The BT1 version is on sale again on Amazon for 629. Just ordered a black one.

FYI, the BT1 version did not work well with the SE846. This was fixed with BT2.

Feb 5, 2020 at 9:53 AM Post #20,617 of 22,945
FYI, the BT1 version did not work well with the SE846. This was fixed with BT2.

Thanks. I already have a BT2 that I don't even use (was using on my 425s before they broke). Really just going to use it wired. BT1 will probably never leave the box.

Feb 5, 2020 at 4:58 PM Post #20,618 of 22,945
Yeah. The BT1 itself is just sad. Wired or with a quality Bluetooth DAC is the proper way to use it. I'd stick to the plain cable unless you want to upgrade. The bundle also comes with a RMCE2 cable with a remote and mic, but these have a straight plug that tends to break when used with a pocketed phone, and the wire has that awful flimsy feel Apple cables do. Meanwhile the plain cable has a chunky right angle plug and kevlar insulation.

Feb 5, 2020 at 5:52 PM Post #20,619 of 22,945
Yeah. The BT1 itself is just sad. Wired or with a quality Bluetooth DAC is the proper way to use it. I'd stick to the plain cable unless you want to upgrade. The bundle also comes with a RMCE2 cable with a remote and mic, but these have a straight plug that tends to break when used with a pocketed phone, and the wire has that awful flimsy feel Apple cables do. Meanwhile the plain cable has a chunky right angle plug and kevlar insulation.

I know what you mean. I love the length of their 46 inch cable, which is what I currently have on my SE535s (still going strong since 2012), but I do wish they had gone with the straight connector instead of the right angle.

I rotate some TWS when I want bluetooth (mostly for commuting) but agree wired is the way to go. I usually use wired at home and the ES100 when I'm traveling (can't beat the flexibility).

Feb 6, 2020 at 1:15 AM Post #20,620 of 22,945
I know what you mean. I love the length of their 46 inch cable, which is what I currently have on my SE535s (still going strong since 2012), but I do wish they had gone with the straight connector instead of the right angle.

I rotate some TWS when I want bluetooth (mostly for commuting) but agree wired is the way to go. I usually use wired at home and the ES100 when I'm traveling (can't beat the flexibility).

Straight connector is the worst for out and about applications.

Feb 6, 2020 at 8:48 AM Post #20,621 of 22,945
Straight connector is the worst for out and about applications.
Yet so much more streamlined when used with a dongle or external DAC like the Dragonfly (and the cables are replaceable). One might even say being wired to your phone is the worst for out and about applications, given the wireless technology available today. It depends on how you use them and personal preferences. What may be true for one person may not always be true for another. For me, I prefer the straight connectors because I will mostly be using the SE846s at home anyway (usually listen to music before I go to sleep using a Dragonfly Cobalt).

I have other headphones with straight connectors that I used when travelling for years and never had an issue with them. For the Shures. I have had to replace the cables due to wear and tear/sweat on the other end of the cable (had to do this twice for SE535s and was why I had to replace my SE530s, speakibg of which anyone remember those giant PTH adapters? Technology has advanced quite a bit.). For this reason, I stopped using my Shure IEMs at the gym and just use TWS for working out and commuting now so hopefully my sweat problem goes away.

In any case, I seem to have started a tangent on this thread (apologies) so to bring it back on topic....can't wait to get the SE846s! I really do enjoy the Shure sound. Unfortunately, I told my wife she can give it to me on my birthday (even though I bought it myself) so I will have to wait a few weeks to use it.

Last edited:
Feb 8, 2020 at 5:33 PM Post #20,622 of 22,945
I've found my new favourite silicone tips. Having always been a big fan of the RHA tips I finally got around to sticking some on the 846 with assistance from the SpinFit adaptors. At the same time I swapped out the TrishD modded blue filters, which I've been using and enjoying for the best part of the past year, for the bass filters. This setup is pretty excellent at diminishing my yearning for a big, weighty dynamic driver-esqe bass. I don't know what it is exactly, but the wide bores on the RHA tips and the proximity of the nozzles (almost flush to the end of the tips) are providing an awesome sub-bass presentation without feeling like the highs are being attenuated as some feel occurs with the bass filters. I'm going to be rocking this combo for the foreseeable future!

Feb 18, 2020 at 8:01 AM Post #20,623 of 22,945
I'm a few days in with my se846's. After looking for used and considering gray-market options (and then considering their "B" ranking on Crinacle's List, general comments about them having been "good for their day", etc.), I decided to just buy a set from a reputable dealer.

It's been a while in coming. My last big IEM purchase was a set of ie80s a few years ago, and before that, the se215. I wanted something with more detail and less congestion, that could open up music a bit more, like a regular headphone. Most of all, I needed something well-built with superior isolation (I have a three-year-old in a small house). Considering my heavily used/abused se215s have lasted 8 years without any issues, that was a big selling point. Also, since there are not many places to try iems in my area (and nowhere to audition higher-end Shures within a day's drive that I could find), my purchase was blind. I can read about Andromedas, Xelentos or FH7s all day, but I had no idea if they would fit, or hold up to my use case. I also have no time for "ear jewelry". I don't care to impress anyone with my taste in audiophile gadgetry. I want good sound, comfort, reliability and longevity.

I made a somewhat informed choice and dove in.

So far, so good! The kit Shure sells right now includes the basic cables, a soft-shell carrying case, the filters/filter tool, assortment of tips, and the most recent bluetooth cable set. Most of this I could do without (as I could do without the *crazy* MSRP for an 8 year old product in the current competitive environment). I am disappointed Shure deleted the hardshell case from the spec, but I picked up a Pelican 1040 and foam for about $30 so no biggie.

But the earphones are great. I'm enjoying the deep bass, the instrumental separation, and the overall tone over a range of musical styles. I don't think these are amazing for treble (using the blue filters, haven't yet experimented with others, I use the olive tips, as usual). The mids are strong and musical. Jazz, rock and pop all shine. Percussion has depth. I'm hearing a lot of "new" detail in good recordings of music I already know.I I like the fact these are iems I can fall asleep using without regret.

I won't overextend my analytical abilities by describing the sound, as there are 1375 pages of impressions here. Basically, I like the se846. Barring some other revelation, I can see myself using these for several years. I have the option to return these, though the only reason would be cost. If I can get past paying 2013 prices for 2012 technology in 2020, all will be fine : )

Feb 22, 2020 at 3:23 PM Post #20,624 of 22,945
On occasion I like to revisit reviews of gear I own. My most recent searching took me back to the Head-Fi reviews of the 846, and many of the earlier reviews mention how much they felt the sound improved by removing the foam from the blue filters. I thought why the hell not and gave it a try, and I can see why they were so complimentary about this configuration. My ability to remember the nuances between filter types isn't what I'd call exemplary, but this seems to be an awesome mix of the best traits from across the filters. I'd say for those who are currently enjoying the TrishD mod but would prefer a bit more meat on the bones in the low end, whip that bit of foam out, load up some deep tech, and marvel at the bass that's being pumped out. Sorry black filters, my earlier testament to your place as atop the throne was premature!

N.B. I like big bass and I cannot lie.

Feb 22, 2020 at 5:51 PM Post #20,625 of 22,945
On occasion I like to revisit reviews of gear I own. My most recent searching took me back to the Head-Fi reviews of the 846, and many of the earlier reviews mention how much they felt the sound improved by removing the foam from the blue filters. I thought why the hell not and gave it a try, and I can see why they were so complimentary about this configuration. My ability to remember the nuances between filter types isn't what I'd call exemplary, but this seems to be an awesome mix of the best traits from across the filters. I'd say for those who are currently enjoying the TrishD mod but would prefer a bit more meat on the bones in the low end, whip that bit of foam out, load up some deep tech, and marvel at the bass that's being pumped out. Sorry black filters, my earlier testament to your place as atop the throne was premature!

N.B. I like big bass and I cannot lie.

As i like a big bass too, i'm tempted also to do this mod.
Is it possible to buy some spare filters for modifying them?
I'd like to keep the original filters unmodified e.g. for a comparsion reference.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back