Shure SE846 Impressions Thread
Nov 10, 2018 at 4:22 PM Post #19,696 of 22,954
It be easier to answer if you had a country / location listed? I have the Shure case but also identical Pelican ones ordered from Peliproducts.uk . 1060 was the model.

It be easier to answer if you had a country / location listed? I have the Shure case but also identical Pelican ones ordered from Peliproducts.uk . 1060 was the model.

Ah sorry about that, I’m in Australia, I ordered it off ebay, brand new but grey stock for $800 AU$ it’s in the blue box and comes with the additiional bluetooth cables etc.

Nov 11, 2018 at 9:01 AM Post #19,697 of 22,954
I’d like to try Comply sleeves with my SE846. So far I’ve been using the medium-size original ‘olives’. Which ones are recommended, in your opinion:

- Isolation;
- Comfort; or
- Professional?

I believe Professional lack the WaxGuard, which would make them unsuitable for the SE846 because these IEMs don’t have a guard other than that in the sleeves.

Are there any other brands that you would recommend?
They are very comfortable, good seal and fine improved sound from the originals from the shure se846 box. With comply the sub bass and mids are more present, especially the bass. However they do get dirty quickly and start depreciating and breaking apart, sometimes the fit get torn apart just by applying them to the bore. But you get 3 pairs in a pack and they will last you maby 2-3 months of daily use.

I lile the spinfits alot more. The soundquality is vastly superior but they dont stay in your ear as goos as the comply ones.

Nov 11, 2018 at 9:25 AM Post #19,698 of 22,954
I have that cable. Impedance of SE846 goes down to 5Ohm. Stock cable 0.1Ohm. Fiio 1.0 Ohm. That's 10 times worse.
If you have proper low output impedance source this Fiio cable destroys damping factor and significantly skews frequency response compared to stock cable.
And no benefit of balanced output will outweigh such issue. Moreover balanced is almost useless on SE846, because sensitivity is high and impedance is low.

Your hiss is because OI of your source is too high. ES100 is dead silent on SE846. All those silencers, again, ruin damping by design. You also can use volume control adapter from SE846 kit - it does the same, decrease a volume of everything so you can increase source volume and increase SNR by that.
Just want to point out it depends on the source also :) Running my se846 with onkyo dpx1a with balanced cables and it turns the stock cables into a joke :p

Nov 11, 2018 at 1:46 PM Post #19,699 of 22,954
Just want to point out it depends on the source also :) Running my se846 with onkyo dpx1a with balanced cables and it turns the stock cables into a joke :p

Given the 9ohm nominal impedance of the 4-BA SE846 I'd rather not try them balanced... that halves the load per amp stage, making it even more prone to changing sound signature with cable impedance and amp output impedance (SE846 has a rather wild impedance curve over frequency, so depends on low output impedance).

Nov 11, 2018 at 1:57 PM Post #19,700 of 22,954
Given the 9ohm nominal impedance of the 4-BA SE846 I'd rather not try them balanced... that halves the load per amp stage, making it even more prone to changing sound signature with cable impedance and amp output impedance (SE846 has a rather wild impedance curve over frequency, so depends on low output impedance).

The change in FR is only a couple of db in the mids, easily off-set by changing to the white filter or switching eartips. At 1 ohm, it is not a major change at all. On the other hand, balanced gives greater imaging and separation and is well worth the cost of a balanced cable.

Nov 11, 2018 at 2:19 PM Post #19,701 of 22,954
The change in FR is only a couple of db in the mids, easily off-set by changing to the white filter or switching eartips. At 1 ohm, it is not a major change at all. On the other hand, balanced gives greater imaging and separation and is well worth the cost of a balanced cable.

Given the wild impedance swings of the SE846 I doubt that only the mids are changed. Offsetting those changes would imply that the tips or filters yield the exact same changes, which seems not that likely.
Sound changes regarding imaging are more dependent on amp architecture and not inherent to balanced configurations.

Nov 11, 2018 at 2:24 PM Post #19,702 of 22,954
Given the wild impedance swings of the SE846 I doubt that only the mids are changed. Offsetting those changes would imply that the tips or filters yield the exact same changes, which seems not that likely.
Sound changes regarding imaging are more dependent on amp architecture and not inherent to balanced configurations.

Read these:
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/shure-se846-impressions-thread.675219/page-1090#post_12909677
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/shure-se846-impressions-thread.675219/page-1205#post-13617865
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/se846-filter-mod.802350/page-5#post-13200821

Nov 11, 2018 at 2:29 PM Post #19,704 of 22,954
That does not change what I said above.

Change it? No. It merely demonstrates that what you said was wrong.

Anyway, if you're not going to look at objective measurements when they dispute your opinion, then I no longer care to discuss this with you. Got better things to do.

Nov 11, 2018 at 2:30 PM Post #19,705 of 22,954
Personally i do not know the correct details of this or if its possible to have a dac amp balanced with only 1 dac amp. What i know is the onkyo dp x1a got 2 dacs and 2 amp, 1 of each for each channel independantly. And with this i enjoy a 4 pole balanced 2.5mm cable i get tremedously deeper, more detailed, more pronounced sub frequencies and bass and heavily noticable width, detail and clarity on the mids and highs. Also i can play louder in an enjoyable matter. All in ACG mode

To me the original out of the box cable for the shure the sound signature is lacking alot. I genuinly hear and feel atleast 5 times improvement to all sound frequencies across the whole board with this https://www.amazon.com/dp/B072KF8M1Y/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_awdb_t1_3pi6BbNYHYAYA

But yet again, i have NOT tried a very high end 300$+ unbalanced cable.

Last edited:
Nov 11, 2018 at 2:40 PM Post #19,706 of 22,954
The output impedance on the spreadsheet for onkyo-dp-x1a reads 16ohm unbalanced, 32ohm balanced.

However i read somewhere about a divided by 8 rule. 32/8 = 4, so the output impedance is actually 4ohm.

I dont know bout the autencity of this fact, i would like this to get confirmed true or false by someone who knows that it knows whats true in matter xD

Nov 11, 2018 at 2:50 PM Post #19,707 of 22,954
The output impedance on the spreadsheet for onkyo-dp-x1a reads 16ohm unbalanced, 32ohm balanced.

However i read somewhere about a divided by 8 rule. 32/8 = 4, so the output impedance is actually 4ohm.

I dont know bout the autencity of this fact, i would like this to get confirmed true or false by someone who knows that it knows whats true in matter xD

It lists 16 to 300 ohm and 32 to 600 ohm, clearly not the output impedance of the port, but the range of supported headphone impedance. Who knows how they decide that range. The actual output impedance of the device is 0.5 ohm for SE, and 1.0 ohm for balanced. It's hard to find something official, but here is some posted specs for the DP-X1:
https://keeweeshop.com/product/digital-audio-player-onkyo-dp-x1/

Nov 11, 2018 at 3:00 PM Post #19,708 of 22,954
Change it? No. It merely demonstrates that what you said was wrong.

Pointless discussion, on that I think we can agree. But obviously not on mich else, so best to leave it at that.
Regarding the not inherent features of balanced operation i‘d suggest reading what Rob Watts has to say about that.

Nov 11, 2018 at 3:04 PM Post #19,709 of 22,954
Pointless discussion, on that I think we can agree. But obviously not on mich else, so best to leave it at that.
Regarding the not inherent features of balanced operation i‘d suggest reading what Rob Watts has to say about that.

Yep. Read it already. That's one of the few things people cite to argue against balanced. Nice of you to recommend I read something, when you have been so dismissive of the things I have posted for you to read, BTW.

Nov 11, 2018 at 3:05 PM Post #19,710 of 22,954
It lists 16 to 300 ohm and 32 to 600 ohm, clearly not the output impedance of the port, but the range of supported headphone impedance. Who knows how they decide that range. The actual output impedance of the device is 0.5 ohm for SE, and 1.0 ohm for balanced. It's hard to find something official, but here is some posted specs for the DP-X1:
https://keeweeshop.com/product/digital-audio-player-onkyo-dp-x1/
Thankyou ^^ always a nice addition to know more!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back