Shure SE846 Impressions Thread
May 19, 2018 at 4:45 PM Post #19,276 of 22,945
Na, the SE846 is not bass heavy form my perspective.

Your source......
Agreed, the SE846’s excel with neutral to bright sources. I also have no issues with bass on these.

May 22, 2018 at 9:19 PM Post #19,277 of 22,945
:)Awwwhhh man, I liked my SE846 more after switching from the white triple flanges to the medium-sized olives, but adding the blue filters (+2db) now finally brings that wonderful treble sparkle more forward and slims the bass down a bit, making the entire sound presentation perfect for me. Even the clear filters (0db) had just a tad bit of bass rumble for me and the treble sparkle show up only a little bit...like you were out of the city and see some stars, but not all of them and you can tell you need to go further. With the blue filters, I no longer need to drive out to see all the stars from the treble sparkle that I want. :)

May 22, 2018 at 9:20 PM Post #19,278 of 22,945
Can someone tell me the benefits of modding the stock filters; how does it change the sound etc? Wondering if I can increase the treble, I feel the SE846 is missing some "sparkle" in the treble.

May 22, 2018 at 11:13 PM Post #19,279 of 22,945
May 23, 2018 at 10:01 AM Post #19,280 of 22,945
May 23, 2018 at 4:22 PM Post #19,281 of 22,945
Oh weary traveler, join me on my insane and arcane quest for modification of something that sounds perfectly fine to begin with! Welcome to Head-fi!
Hmm

May 23, 2018 at 7:35 PM Post #19,283 of 22,945
Yes it's true, it's "arcane"? :D.
Remember, Shure supplied their own color mods, (but they're insane so.....:D )

note: People need to just leave things alone. What is their problem? Geesh. (ok i'll stop_ :D
Simple. Everyone wants to believe that they have reference eyes and ears...:beyersmile:

May 29, 2018 at 12:47 PM Post #19,284 of 22,945
Hey folks! I'm still in love with my SE846. For the next couple of months I'll use them with the Westone WX bluetooth cable, so I've asked myself - is there any way to add some kind of clip or magnet to the cable / the casing so I can wear them around the neck like the Beats X or other magnetic earbuds when I'm not using them? I'm really afraid of losing them, and attaching them to my shirt isn't always an option.

Any good DIY ideas? Thanks in advance!

May 29, 2018 at 3:37 PM Post #19,285 of 22,945
Hey folks! I'm still in love with my SE846. For the next couple of months I'll use them with the Westone WX bluetooth cable, so I've asked myself - is there any way to add some kind of clip or magnet to the cable / the casing so I can wear them around the neck like the Beats X or other magnetic earbuds when I'm not using them? I'm really afraid of losing them, and attaching them to my shirt isn't always an option.

Any good DIY ideas? Thanks in advance!
Aloha! You can try getting the Jaybird Bluetooth Cable shirt clip (my favorite by far) or get some shirt clips from Amazon.

Good luck!

Jun 6, 2018 at 9:49 PM Post #19,286 of 22,945
I've owned the se846 for a little over 1.5 years. I own 2 pairs of se535, that I rotate between audio editing work/gym, and had been eye-balling the se846 for awhile. Initially, I loved the low-end, and the "wow" effect was immediate. But the more I listened, the more I realized how narrow the soundstage was. They were my gateway IEM, as buying these inspired me to seek out and purchase better sounding IEMs.

Westone w80 this past fall, and 64 Audio U18 at Camjam NY back in February.

Sonically, the best thing I did was upgrade the stock cable. There was a noticeable difference when using the ALO Litz cable. For me: Slightly better soundstage, boost in highs, mids a bit more prevalent.

I think if I had the option to re-purchase the se846, I would not, and probably lean towards buying the Campfire Andromeda, as I'm partial towards the wider soundstage.

Jun 6, 2018 at 10:36 PM Post #19,287 of 22,945
I've owned the se846 for a little over 1.5 years. I own 2 pairs of se535, that I rotate between audio editing work/gym, and had been eye-balling the se846 for awhile. Initially, I loved the low-end, and the "wow" effect was immediate. But the more I listened, the more I realized how narrow the soundstage was. They were my gateway IEM, as buying these inspired me to seek out and purchase better sounding IEMs.

Sonically, the best thing I did was upgrade the stock cable. There was a noticeable difference when using the ALO Litz cable. For me: Slightly better soundstage, boost in highs, mids a bit more prevalent.

I think if I had the option to re-purchase the se846, I would not, and probably lean towards buying the Campfire Andromeda, as I'm partial towards the wider soundstage.

The se846 don't have a narrow soundstage. I don't think the andromeda has much better soundstage when compared to the se846. Although, it seems you prefer increased treble sparkle in your IEMs, and I'm sure the andromeda does that better.

Jun 6, 2018 at 11:34 PM Post #19,288 of 22,945
The se846 don't have a narrow soundstage. I don't think the andromeda has much better soundstage when compared to the se846. Although, it seems you prefer increased treble sparkle in your IEMs, and I'm sure the andromeda does that better.
Amen +1

Jun 6, 2018 at 11:38 PM Post #19,289 of 22,945

I tend to be skeptical about claims of wide differences in soundstage of IEMs; due to the technology (generally closed and firing directly into the ear canal) it's hard to have much difference in soundstage. Maybe it's because I use the same ear tips with most of my IEMs, they fire in the same place in my ears and have a similar soundstage.

I'm curious to try the ALO cable with my SE846 though; despite being skeptical of cables too, there is at least the psychological effect :wink: I recently got a pair of Andromeda's (though waiting for my birthday in a couple weeks) so I'll borrow that cable to try.

Jun 6, 2018 at 11:47 PM Post #19,290 of 22,945
I run my 846 balanced from fiio x7 mkII.
Balanced cable was $40 from amazon.
Tips are spinfit cp240 medium.

Nice and airy. Soundstage...lol...let's not start that debate in an IEMs thread.

With a little EQ, not too far off from Focal Clear tonality balance.

Andromeda are nice but not my 1st preferred choice. I tested them out but ended up rebuying another 846.
Still impressed with 846 this 2nd round, especially running them balanced from my DAP and rolling tips.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back