Shure SE846 Impressions Thread
May 8, 2018 at 7:34 AM Post #19,261 of 22,889
Depends on what you call "class". They are not by any means more precise or clear. So everybody have their preference of damaged sound - no wonder that high bass, low treble is popular.
And strictly speaking, you can get the same bass from a lot of properly sealing IEM if you use some EQ without BS of loudspeaker level impedance.
What isn't more precise and clear? Does damaged sound mean not neutral/balanced?

I would say between 500-700$. I wouldn't pay more for these these days.
What makes you say that? Is there something in the 700-900 range that clearly beat these or are these just not your preference?

Last edited:
May 8, 2018 at 9:47 AM Post #19,262 of 22,889
Hi, I recently got the shure se846 iems, my first high-end audio purchase, and it only got me more curious.

I did some research, and a handful of people say the se846 are outdated/outclassed or simply not worth the price, but few mention better alternatives. I know people like to say CA andromeda and I did have a listen to them. I'm unsure whether they justify the higher price, as I'm still inexperienced. To me, they sound different, however not objectively better when all things are considered.

Is the se846 still considered totl for iems? I've noticed prices of audio equipment don't depreciate as fast as most other technologies, and I know they are like 5 years old, so what would be a fair price for them in today's iem market? Also, I'm aware there are many more expensive options, but are there any cheaper alternatives that outclass the se846?

I'm in no way disappointed with the se846, as I did get them a fair bit lower than rrp. In fact, the first time I heard them I was blown away with the bass and clarity, and I really enjoy the overall signature. Just curious as to what all the talk is about.
I can only advise to check that they are "outclassed" in terms of what, according to whose preference, and for what job at hand.

Is the Chiron better than a Mini Cooper in terms of miles per gallon, availability, repairability and affordability?

Are you trying to use a scoped rifle to put out a wall of bullets per minute, or a minigun for precise, tight grouping and accuracy?

Are you using a low-treble stage monitor as a stage performer, to protect your hearing from harmful/hot trebles, or would you rather be able to pin-point every single flaw in the recording with a studio monitor, or do you want a slightly forgiving sound?

I think it's all about using the right tool for the right job. I'm afraid I'm not using my 8's for what they're intended for, what they're designed for. I'm no stage performer; I want to hear everything. Then again, I'm no studio staff either, yet I want a UERR or UEPRM.

The right tool for the right job, my man. Scalpels and box-cutters, wood mallets and metal sledgehammers...

Welcome to Head-Fi. Your wallet is dead. You are now one of us.
One of us.

Last edited:
May 8, 2018 at 2:14 PM Post #19,263 of 22,889
3BF54AA1-1603-488B-91BF-0E152402222C.jpeg B719DC47-FD16-4952-97FB-5319E70C022A.jpeg

I just got the spinfit cp240, and the bass and detail improvement is very noticeable, and a lot less faff then the large foam tips which I previously found the best for me.
These are much better than the cp800, for me.
Only listened for 30 minutes so far!

listening to Black Sabbath War Pigs (hi-res mojo\poly) ... the decay on the symbols is completely outrageous - a good 3-4 seconds.. clear as a whistle - wow. The music sounds much more laid back and relaxed, such an improvement.

Last edited:
May 9, 2018 at 3:03 AM Post #19,265 of 22,889
Is there a good place in UK to get Spinfits and what sizes/product numbers fit the 846s?
I order mine from amazon.com:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B06X3VT9F9/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

none in the .co.uk version. I was in a hurry and needed express delivery. Otherwise you can email spinfits service@spinfit.info and they'll send you a paypal invoice with free shipping (as they web shop is closed for redevelopment):

I asked spinfit which tips were compatible with se846 and they said, cp800 and cp240, both of which you can look at on amazon or spin fit site.

Last edited:
May 18, 2018 at 3:46 AM Post #19,270 of 22,889
Regards Morten[/QUOTE]
Obviously, but I'm intrigued why they wouldn't stock any directly in Europe. Amazon offer all models except these.

I know they have a pretty complete selection on the Amazon for USA. www.amazon.com/shops/Spinfit-Eartip At least I got all mine here. I think some countries in the EU may still be able to get it off their USA Amazon site. You just gotta pay for the shipping. (My friend lives in Germany and he bought it from Amazon, shipping cost him $7)

May 19, 2018 at 2:14 PM Post #19,272 of 22,889
Yeah...I found the SE535 way too bright. I couldn't listen more than 15 minutes before getting a headache. I tried the Dragonfly Red to help clean it up and it only got worse.... And it had like no bass.
So I bought the se846 to get more bass at a lower volume, but found it had really lackluster treble.
Everything I read said the Andromeda was just a better iem.
While I found the bass of the se846, the Andromeda is just so pleasing to listen to, even for a long time.

Just to double check. You listened to the regular SE535 or the SE535 special edition (red)? The special edition has extended highs. I haven't found many people complain about the SE535 being too bright. In fact just the opposite. This is why Shure came out with the special edition.

May 19, 2018 at 2:59 PM Post #19,274 of 22,889
You're right. They were the se535 red

Ahah! Things are making sense now. I would try the regular SE535 (bronze, clear). The warmer heavier bass balance of the SE846 might psychophysically make it seem that the treble is "lackluster," especially if you A/B'd it to the SE535 (red) special edition. The regular SE535 might be just right. TBH, while people love the bass (and sub-bass) of the SE846, I find the balance just a tad too bass heavy. Lovely IEM otherwise.

May 19, 2018 at 3:38 PM Post #19,275 of 22,889
Na, the SE846 is not bass heavy form my perspective.

Your source......

Another thing. Regardless of what people say about these, they isolate like nothing else. And it's strange really; two IEMs with the same basic shape and the same tips, isolate completely differently. God only knows how they do it really :D Though you can make anything isolate really well with triple flange, the great equalizer.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back