Shure SE846 Impressions Thread
May 7, 2018 at 9:16 AM Post #19,246 of 22,954
i went from the SE535 to get more bass and also found that the SE535 was very fatiguing and found that SE846 really lacked in treble/sparkle.

i've since went to campfire andromedas and LOVE them.

I too found the SE846 lacked a bit of "top-end" but I did the Knowles damper mod and now they have quite a bit more treble and a very balanced sound.

Has anybody ever compared the Knowles modded SE846 to the Andromeda?

May 7, 2018 at 10:43 AM Post #19,247 of 22,954
i went from the SE535 to get more bass and also found that the SE535 was very fatiguing and found that SE846 really lacked in treble/sparkle.

i've since went to campfire andromedas and LOVE them.
Thanks, I will add to my list..!

May 7, 2018 at 2:19 PM Post #19,248 of 22,954

The SE846 is basically an SE535 with a sub-woofer. You seem to be suggesting the SE535 had too much treble, but the SE846 had too little. Is that right? What caused your fatigue with the SE535?

May 7, 2018 at 2:33 PM Post #19,249 of 22,954
The SE846 is basically an SE535 with a sub-woofer. You seem to be suggesting the SE535 had too much treble, but the SE846 had too little. Is that right? What caused your fatigue with the SE535?
Yeah...I found the SE535 way too bright. I couldn't listen more than 15 minutes before getting a headache. I tried the Dragonfly Red to help clean it up and it only got worse.... And it had like no bass.
So I bought the se846 to get more bass at a lower volume, but found it had really lackluster treble.
Everything I read said the Andromeda was just a better iem.
While I found the bass of the se846, the Andromeda is just so pleasing to listen to, even for a long time.

May 7, 2018 at 2:47 PM Post #19,251 of 22,954
Yeah...I found the SE535 way too bright. I couldn't listen more than 15 minutes before getting a headache. I tried the Dragonfly Red to help clean it up and it only got worse.... And it had like no bass.
So I bought the se846 to get more bass at a lower volume, but found it had really lackluster treble.
While I found the bass of the se846, the Andromeda is just so pleasing to listen to, even for a long time.
Well, I guess the SE535 would have a relative lift in treble for the same OASPL, given that it has very little sub-bass. But the measurements show its treble response is basically the same as that of the SE846. That's why I was curious to see you mention one gives too much treble and the other not enough.

Andromedas have very good treble extension, but a fairly heavy (to me, excessive) mid-bass. They also have horrible ergonomics and don't well fit in my ears. But if they fit you and you don't mind the mid-bass boom, I still think they're the best-sounding IEMs CA make - despite the claim that Vega (and now Atlas) is actually their "flagship" IEM.

May 7, 2018 at 3:10 PM Post #19,252 of 22,954
Well, I guess the SE535 would have a relative lift in treble for the same OASPL, given that it has very little sub-bass. But the measurements show its treble response is basically the same as that of the SE846. That's why I was curious to see you mention one gives too much treble and the other not enough.

Andromedas have very good treble extension, but a fairly heavy (to me, excessive) mid-bass. They also have horrible ergonomics and don't well fit in my ears. But if they fit you and you don't mind the mid-bass boom, I still think they're the best-sounding IEMs CA make - despite the claim that Vega (and now Atlas) is actually their "flagship" IEM.

i haven't really noticed anything negative about the mid-bass. i'm using the stock foam tips. i know the sound can change a bit with different tips.

the ergonomics of the andromedas are atrocious. shure definitely takes the prize for fit. the se846 was so damned comfortable. i really wanted to love them just for that.

May 7, 2018 at 3:14 PM Post #19,253 of 22,954

It would be helpful to know what your associated components are, especially the DAC and amp.

As we all know, each component in the chain interact with other components in the chain so the performance of the 535 or 846 could be noticeably different depending on what are in the chain.

My experience with the 535 or 846 with the A&K SP1000 or with the ModWright UDP 205 sauce and GS-X Mk2 amp is qualitatively similar to yours but not nearly as extreme. Both perform quite acceptably if not perfectly, the 535 being just a little shy in the bass and the 846 a little too generous in that department. I am rather sensitive to harshness, edginess and sibilance (causes of fatigue) in the sound and though neither IEM is perfect, I did not find either to be unlistenable in that area. For example, with Fleetwood Mc Rumors, from SACD or High Res, the 535 produced plenty of bass and the 846 plenty of treble.

May 7, 2018 at 3:31 PM Post #19,254 of 22,954
It would be helpful to know what your associated components are, especially the DAC and amp.

As we all know, each component in the chain interact with other components in the chain so the performance of the 535 or 846 could be noticeably different depending on what are in the chain.

My experience with the 535 or 846 with the A&K SP1000 or with the ModWright UDP 205 sauce and GS-X Mk2 amp is qualitatively similar to yours but not nearly as extreme. Both perform quite acceptably if not perfectly, the 535 being just a little shy in the bass and the 846 a little too generous in that department. I am rather sensitive to harshness, edginess and sibilance (causes of fatigue) in the sound and though neither IEM is perfect, I did not find either to be unlistenable in that area. For example, with Fleetwood Mc Rumors, from SACD or High Res, the 535 produced plenty of bass and the 846 plenty of treble.
iphone x with the dongle, dragonfly red, dragonfly black, and chord mojo.

the mojo seems to tame the SE535 the most, to me. i found the mojo darkens the se846, too much.

i did buy the onkyo dp-1a, but just hated everything about...that's for another topic. :)

May 7, 2018 at 3:47 PM Post #19,255 of 22,954
Thanks for the additional info.

Just one thing I forgot: too much bass for the 846 is very easy to correct. A different filter will dramatically reduce the bass and will shift the sonic balance toward relatively more treble.

I have some experience with the Firefly and the Mojo. I would say your biggest treble problem is with the Firefly USB

I also found that the fit of the tips is critical to produce the bass for the 535–and any IEM. I got plenty of bass from the 535 with a good fit using SpinFit’s Teflon tips.

May 8, 2018 at 3:02 AM Post #19,257 of 22,954
Hello everyone I currently own the ibasso it03, it is better to be 846 to update it by one.

I own both, the Head-fi answer is "Yes you can't have too many headphones"

The more balanced answer is maybe, they do complement each other very well, having quite different sound signatures. I will listen to one or the other depending on my mood.

If you like the iBasso sound then perhaps wait for the IT04 and give that a try, I may well do the same myself. :)

May 8, 2018 at 6:58 AM Post #19,258 of 22,954
Hi, I recently got the shure se846 iems, my first high-end audio purchase, and it only got me more curious.

I did some research, and a handful of people say the se846 are outdated/outclassed or simply not worth the price, but few mention better alternatives. I know people like to say CA andromeda and I did have a listen to them. I'm unsure whether they justify the higher price, as I'm still inexperienced. To me, they sound different, however not objectively better when all things are considered.

Is the se846 still considered totl for iems? I've noticed prices of audio equipment don't depreciate as fast as most other technologies, and I know they are like 5 years old, so what would be a fair price for them in today's iem market? Also, I'm aware there are many more expensive options, but are there any cheaper alternatives that outclass the se846?

I'm in no way disappointed with the se846, as I did get them a fair bit lower than rrp. In fact, the first time I heard them I was blown away with the bass and clarity, and I really enjoy the overall signature. Just curious as to what all the talk is about.

May 8, 2018 at 7:19 AM Post #19,259 of 22,954
Hi, I recently got the shure se846 iems, my first high-end audio purchase, and it only got me more curious.

I did some research, and a handful of people say the se846 are outdated/outclassed or simply not worth the price, but few mention better alternatives. I know people like to say CA andromeda and I did have a listen to them. I'm unsure whether they justify the higher price, as I'm still inexperienced. To me, they sound different, however not objectively better when all things are considered.

Is the se846 still considered totl for iems? I've noticed prices of audio equipment don't depreciate as fast as most other technologies, and I know they are like 5 years old, so what would be a fair price for them in today's iem market? Also, I'm aware there are many more expensive options, but are there any cheaper alternatives that outclass the se846?

I'm in no way disappointed with the se846, as I did get them a fair bit lower than rrp. In fact, the first time I heard them I was blown away with the bass and clarity, and I really enjoy the overall signature. Just curious as to what all the talk is about.
Depends on what you call "class". They are not by any means more precise or clear. So everybody have their preference of damaged sound - no wonder that high bass, low treble is popular.
And strictly speaking, you can get the same bass from a lot of properly sealing IEM if you use some EQ without BS of loudspeaker level impedance.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back