Shure SE846 Impressions Thread
Dec 16, 2017 at 9:52 AM Post #18,496 of 22,945
Well, I had to chime back here.
About a month ago, I lost my beloved se846 on the airport, that I used almost everyday on my comute and on my flights since I bought it, march 2014. So I just ordered a new one, and to my surprise, I think it sounds better than the one I bought back in 2014.
To my ears shure quietly improved the treble extension, and this beast is now better than ever. :ksc75smile:
Btw, according to the box info, it was manufactured on may 2017.

Sorry to hear about the loss.of your old SE846 :frowning2: Interesting that you think the new pair sounds better. A couple of thoughts. Shure did change the blue & black filters from one piece of foam in the tube, to two. That alone might not do much, but if the two pieces are separated, or pushed down the far end of the nozzle tube, it does lift the treble (I posted measurements of this a few pages back). I once had two pairs of SE846 (one foam vs two foams production run) and also preferred the newer model, but the differences were very small. There's the issue of channel matching - no two buds are ever completely identical, but the tolerance is usually fairly tight. Maybe you just got extra lucky?!

My guess is it's the foam. Are you using the blue filter? If so, can you hold it up to the light and see where the foam sits in the filter?

Dec 16, 2017 at 11:06 AM Post #18,497 of 22,945
Sorry to hear about the loss.of your old SE846 :frowning2: Interesting that you think the new pair sounds better. A couple of thoughts. Shure did change the blue & black filters from one piece of foam in the tube, to two. That alone might not do much, but if the two pieces are separated, or pushed down the far end of the nozzle tube, it does lift the treble (I posted measurements of this a few pages back). I once had two pairs of SE846 (one foam vs two foams production run) and also preferred the newer model, but the differences were very small. There's the issue of channel matching - no two buds are ever completely identical, but the tolerance is usually fairly tight. Maybe you just got extra lucky?!

My guess is it's the foam. Are you using the blue filter? If so, can you hold it up to the light and see where the foam sits in the filter?

Actually Im using the white filter, so no foam on the filter. Im really sensitive about channel imbalance, and the last inear that really bothered me was IE8 (long time ago I know It), so far my se846 is really good.
Im gonna check your measurements! :)
Regards!

Dec 16, 2017 at 11:39 AM Post #18,498 of 22,945
Actually Im using the white filter, so no foam on the filter. Im really sensitive about channel imbalance, and the last inear that really bothered me was IE8 (long time ago I know It), so far my se846 is really good.
Im gonna check your measurements! :)
Regards!

Well, it's definitely nothing to do with those foam inserts if you're using the white filter. Curious. If you are (or ever happen to be) in the LA area, pm me. It'd be interesting to measure your SE846 along with mine and see if they have done something with the manufacturing. I've not heard of any changes, but who knows...

Dec 16, 2017 at 2:10 PM Post #18,499 of 22,945
Well, it's definitely nothing to do with those foam inserts if you're using the white filter. Curious. If you are (or ever happen to be) in the LA area, pm me. It'd be interesting to measure your SE846 along with mine and see if they have done something with the manufacturing. I've not heard of any changes, but who knows...
We’ve got to meet soon, my friend. I just received the iPhone X 256GB (egads and googly moogly!), but would like to get your take on the changes, including the sound. The notch on top and the removal of the 3.5mm headphone jack is, and is always extra lame in my opinion, but the increase in overall device speed is nice and the X doesn’t sound bad at all when the dongle connected — and the external speaker emits sound louder than my old-school iPhone 6’s.

Dec 16, 2017 at 2:15 PM Post #18,500 of 22,945
We’ve got to meet soon, my friend. I just received the iPhone X 256GB (egads and googly moogly!), but would like to get your take on the changes, including the sound. The notch on top and the removal of the 3.5mm headphone jack is, and is always extra lame in my opinion, but the increase in overall device speed is nice and the X doesn’t sound bad at all when the dongle connected — and the external speaker emits sound louder than my old-school iPhone 6’s.
Glad to hear you have a new toy to play with! Yay!! I couldn't buy another iPhone myself (I need that 3.5 mm socket), but I recently played with an iPhone X in our local Best Buy, and even with the notch, it is a really pretty device. Great screen and very responsive. Also, iPhones have always had really silent noise floors with the SE846, even those that need a dongle.

PM me when your feeling up to it buddy - and I'll come over and see you :)

P.S. Good to see you're on the road to recovery!

Last edited:
Dec 16, 2017 at 2:24 PM Post #18,501 of 22,945
Glad to hear you have a new toy to play with! Yay!! I couldn't buy another iPhone myself (I need that 3.5 mm socket), but I recently played with an iPhone X in our local Best Buy, and even with the notch, it is a really pretty device. Great screen and very responsive. Also, iPhones have always had really silent noise floors with the SE846, even those that need a dongle.

PM me when your feeling up to it buddy - and I'll come over and see you :)

P.S. Good to see you're on the road to recovery!
Really liking the X so far. The notch isn’t a problem for me anymore, especially since applications are optimized for it (such as the Dolphin X browser app I’m using to read and post on Head-Fi. Who knows, you may be a/an X “belieber” (haha) by the time we meet again!

PMed you - looking forward for excuses to shop. :jecklinsmile:

Dec 17, 2017 at 3:18 AM Post #18,503 of 22,945
I'd have thought that Sony ZX2 (not ZX1, made a mistake in the original post) should be good enough to drive 846's. The 535 LTD-J's are on the other scale of loudness, I have to crank it up almost all the way to the max to get decent levels, which is just about fine since I have the EU version of ZX2.

I'm somewhat questioning the point of spending this much on something that doesn't seem to be that much better than the cheaper model. Hence I wanted to hear your opinion, maybe I'm missing the trick somewhere. BTW I use them with custom sleeves so the fit is perfect.

This is awful. You use a ZX2 which is near $1000 and you still claim unsatisfied? So is it a must go for a $2-3000 and over priced DAPs to get the highest?

Dec 17, 2017 at 3:24 AM Post #18,504 of 22,945
They're unlikely to be fake if you purchased direct from Amazon, but if you could post some pictures here, we might be able to confirm.

I think the 846 are a notable step-up from the 535. I don't want to have to always rely on EQ, because I plug my headphones into all sorts of sources. But you do have to be a special sort of person to be camped out on headfi, worrying about that extra 3% improvement in sound quality. If you can live without that extra SQ, you can save a lot of money. If you're going to lie awake at night worrying about that extra 3%, then @nico_g had some really good advice for you!

Buying from Amazon mostly end up fakes? Even if it shows the original manufacture as the seller?

Dec 17, 2017 at 10:12 AM Post #18,505 of 22,945
Buying from Amazon mostly end up fakes? Even if it shows the original manufacture as the seller?

No. My comment suggested the exact opposite. If it was purchased NEW from Amazon, it's very unlikely to be fake - even if the seller wasn't the OEM. We could probably confirm if we could see pictures of the shells.

There have been fakes sold through Amazon, but it's nowhere near as rampant as on eBay. There's always a risk of purchasing a defective product though anybody though. I'd be particularly wary of Amazon warehouse deals. Just because those 2nd hand IEMs look ok, doesn't mean they are. I'm sure Amazon doesn't intend to defraud here, it's just that they probably have no way of knowing what a perfectly functioning SE846 is supposed to sound like.

Dec 17, 2017 at 11:01 AM Post #18,506 of 22,945
Thanks for the invite, but Im in Brazil now. lol!

Dec 17, 2017 at 11:08 AM Post #18,508 of 22,945
This is awful. You use a ZX2 which is near $1000 and you still claim unsatisfied? So is it a must go for a $2-3000 and over priced DAPs to get the highest?
I drove my olds SE846 and my new ones on ZX2, and to me, ZX2 gives it a lot of juice.
Despite the ZX2 does not play DSD native, and mostly of my content is DSD, Ive yet to see another player that sounds so good, the only donwside is the "low output" .
Regards

Dec 17, 2017 at 7:52 PM Post #18,509 of 22,945
Chinese made 846. Good knowledge to check when you purchase your SE846 (in case you paid real SE846 price for this):

https://www.reddit.com/r/headphones...ed_to_try_my_luck_on_these_chinese_se846_diy/

More common to see imitation SE846 in bronze, red, or other colours. This is the first clear one that I have seen. Looks really alike and probably an “upgrade” with more Drivers? They even have 8BA version (2x of SE846)!

Take note of the last few comments in the thread above: “The default setting on my iPhone makes the IEMs sound a bit too bright and loud....”

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back