Shure SE846 Impressions Thread
Aug 6, 2017 at 4:35 PM Post #18,091 of 22,945
Yet more fun with a Vibro Veritas coupler :) Below, I'm comparing the effects of three cables I own on my SE846 with brown Knowles' dampers and medium CP800 SpinFit tips:

cables.jpg

Here are the measurements at the same output power level:

Cable_Effects_constant_delta.png

The most easily noticeable difference is that the Westone cable sounds quieter at the same volume level. It's slightly higher impedance does make a difference to the sound, even if you adjust output SPLs to match at 1 kHz:

Cable_Effects_delta_shift.png

The Westone cable tweaks the FR to give a little more emphasis to the low end and a little less to the upper range. The differences with the stock vs silver litz cable are more subtle and impact the mids and lower treble. These differences should be audible, but are starting to get awfully close to the limits of measuring accuracy.

I confess to (once) having been the world's worst cable skeptic, until @moedawg140 educated me :wink: The surprise take-away from these measurements was the large differences that come from changing tips - in some cases more significant that those from switching filters.

Last edited:
Aug 8, 2017 at 5:56 AM Post #18,092 of 22,945
Hi guys, I've had the SE846 (with custom sleeves) for quite some time now, and itching to try a proper CIEM. Seems like there are quite a few offerings on the market these days, but could someone recommend me something to try that would pair well with my AK100ii / Mojo?

If possible, interested in a wider sound stage, everything else on the SE846 I've been pretty happy with but I'm sure with new recent tech, all areas have improved. Looking for bang for buck rather than TOTL models (unless for some rare instances these two characteristics have aligned), thanks.

Aug 8, 2017 at 6:10 AM Post #18,093 of 22,945
Hi guys, I've had the SE846 (with custom sleeves) for quite some time now, and itching to try a proper CIEM. Seems like there are quite a few offerings on the market these days, but could someone recommend me something to try that would pair well with my AK100ii / Mojo?

If possible, interested in a wider sound stage, everything else on the SE846 I've been pretty happy with but I'm sure with new recent tech, all areas have improved. Looking for bang for buck rather than TOTL models (unless for some rare instances these two characteristics have aligned), thanks.
The campfire Andromeda, definitely have a wider sound stage compare to the SE846. The base is still great with the Andromeda, but not as strong as the subwoofer like presentation in the SE846.
The Andromeda also have more extension in Highs, where the SE846 roll offs and lacks.

Aug 8, 2017 at 8:50 AM Post #18,094 of 22,945
The campfire Andromeda, definitely have a wider sound stage compare to the SE846. The base is still great with the Andromeda, but not as strong as the subwoofer like presentation in the SE846.
The Andromeda also have more extension in Highs, where the SE846 roll offs and lacks.

Not a CIEM but I did have a look into this IEM as well, sounds promising. Btw, just noticed you're in Tokyo? How are the prices of audio goods there? Will be in Tokyo mid October.

Aug 8, 2017 at 9:26 AM Post #18,095 of 22,945
Not a CIEM but I did have a look into this IEM as well, sounds promising. Btw, just noticed you're in Tokyo? How are the prices of audio goods there? Will be in Tokyo mid October.

In consideration of the sales tax, I would consider the price average. There are lots of trust worthy shops that sell used earphone, I picked up some of my current gear through those shops. The best part is that you can test almost any headphone and IEM extensively as long as you like. They just place the Focal Utopia, LCD-4 lying on a bench for everyone.

IMO, places like Hong Kong without sales tax will usually have a lower "Best Price" offered when paid in cash.

Last edited:
Aug 22, 2017 at 3:59 AM Post #18,097 of 22,945
Aug 22, 2017 at 10:51 AM Post #18,098 of 22,945
I owned it a while ago - didn't really like the sound signature that came from it, so I returned it. My review of it is here: http://www.head-fi.org/t/719062/rev...new-iem-cable-for-a-new-age/105#post_10637444 (scroll down to #108).
Thnx @moedawg140, nice reading your review.
I was actually referring to the SuperBax, not to the Bax.

I have the Bax for 9 months now and I do not have any of the connection problems you had with the MMCX + did not have any tangling issues.
..suppose Linum developed them further and the ones you had in 2014 and mine from End-2016 are two different products.
Sound wise I really like them and this is why I'm interested in the SuperBax now.

Aug 22, 2017 at 11:46 AM Post #18,099 of 22,945
Thnx @moedawg140, nice reading your review.
I was actually referring to the SuperBax, not to the Bax.

I have the Bax for 9 months now and I do not have any of the connection problems you had with the MMCX + did not have any tangling issues.
..suppose Linum developed them further and the ones you had in 2014 and mine from End-2016 are two different products.
Sound wise I really like them and this is why I'm interested in the SuperBax now.
My apologies for the initial confusion. What's great (and addresses your original inquiry) is that I listened back to back to back the Music, BaX, and SuperBaX, in London two years ago. The SuperBaX is a nicely made cable, but the thickness is about twice that of the BaX which makes it much less appealing with regards to utility compared to other cable brands that have a little bit more thickness than the SuperBaX. Regarding the sound, I did not notice much of a difference with the SuperBaX compared to the BaX when directly listening back to back, volume matched. The price of the SuperBaX was around $350-$400 during the time I listened to it, so I didn't see the value of the cable compared to other competitors that I've listened to. Even if it costs $100 now, I like the sound of other competitors' cables more than the Linum series, including the SuperBaX.

Hope this helps!

Last edited:
Aug 22, 2017 at 12:43 PM Post #18,100 of 22,945
My apologies for the initial confusion. What's great (and addresses your original inquiry) is that I listened back to back to back the Music, BaX, and SuperBaX, in London two years ago. The SuperBaX is a nicely made cable, but the thickness is about twice that of the BaX which makes it much less appealing with regards to utility compared to other cable brands that have a little bit more thickness than the SuperBaX. Regarding the sound, I did not notice much of a difference with the SuperBaX compared to the BaX when directly listening back to back, volume matched. The price of the SuperBaX was around $350-$400 during the time I listened to it, so I didn't see the value of the cable compared to other competitors that I've listened to. Even if it costs $100 now, I like the sound of other competitors' cables more than the Linum series, including the SuperBaX.

Hope this helps!
It helps! :)
Thnx for sharing your thoughts and experiences.

Aug 22, 2017 at 1:25 PM Post #18,101 of 22,945
It helps! :)
Thnx for sharing your thoughts and experiences.
Happy to help anyway I can!

If you're able to return the SuperBaX and get your money back if you purchase it, then it may be worth it to try. At least they currently lowered the price to ~$230 USD.

Aug 28, 2017 at 1:20 AM Post #18,102 of 22,945
Happy to help anyway I can!
If you're able to return the SuperBaX and get your money back if you purchase it, then it may be worth it to try. At least they currently lowered the price to ~$230 USD.
I ordered the SuperBax, will report back!

Aug 28, 2017 at 1:23 AM Post #18,103 of 22,945
I ordered the SuperBax, will report back!
Cool - if you can, try to listen back to back with a Silver (or your favorite elemental) cable of your choice and pick your favorite.

Aug 29, 2017 at 6:40 PM Post #18,105 of 22,945
Hi Folks,
Sorry to be redundant here...looking for help.

I own the SE846 and Forza after market cables.
One of the cable connections to the IEM is loose.

The sound on that side is inconsistent. It drops out.
When I wiggle the cable around there are a few seconds of music, then it drops again.

When I first reported this issue, one of you kind folks posted a schematic.
It showed where to modify the connector, to make the fit to the IEM more robust.

I think the schematic was posted several months ago.

If the Head-Fier who posted the schematic is still reading this thread, would you please be kind enough to re-post or PM me?
That would save me a lot of time searching back for months of posts.

Thanks in advance!
Happy Listening,
RCB

Users who are viewing this thread

Back