Shure SE846 Impressions Thread
Apr 9, 2017 at 10:41 AM Post #17,702 of 22,945
I would like to say clearly now that i am not trying to get people to prefer the IE800. I am merely stating that in my opinion it beats the SE846 by a long way. I know that im in the minority but that is my view and i have the right to express that view

Your view will change! 
tongue.gif

Terry

Apr 9, 2017 at 3:50 PM Post #17,703 of 22,945
Why is it that these earphones sound balanced at lower volume levels with almost all tracks but sound a bit muddy at higher volumes with certain tracks (guess it's the recording but the same track sounds perfect at lower levels of volume)?
You guys experience the same?

Apr 9, 2017 at 5:05 PM Post #17,704 of 22,945
Why is it that these earphones sound balanced at lower volume levels with almost all tracks but sound a bit muddy at higher volumes with certain tracks (guess it's the recording but the same track sounds perfect at lower levels of volume)?

Nope, find better clearer sound as volume increases :)
I'm using QP1R or Dx90 and Mojo. What are you driving them with?

Apr 9, 2017 at 9:19 PM Post #17,705 of 22,945

it could be a sign that your source struggles driving the se846. do you experience the same changes related to loudness on other devices?

Apr 9, 2017 at 11:57 PM Post #17,706 of 22,945
Nope, find better clearer sound as volume increases :)
I'm using QP1R or Dx90 and Mojo. What are you driving them with?

it could be a sign that your source struggles driving the se846. do you experience the same changes related to loudness on other devices?

I'm using my galaxy s3/7 paired with mojo, pc paired with mojo.. it happens only with certain tracks and it happens with all my sources. Can it possibly be a faulty pair?

Apr 10, 2017 at 1:44 AM Post #17,707 of 22,945
I'm using my galaxy s3/7 paired with mojo, pc paired with mojo.. it happens only with certain tracks and it happens with all my sources. Can it possibly be a faulty pair?

Maybe it's just that you're noticing the Fletcher-Munson curves effect? 

1. At low listening volumes – mid range frequencies sound more prominent, while the low and high frequency ranges seem to fall into the background.
  2. At high listening volumes – the lows and highs sound more prominent, while the mid range seems comparatively softer.

Apr 10, 2017 at 1:49 AM Post #17,708 of 22,945

depending on recordings too...could you describe what you mean by muddy? because the two words (balance and muddy) you use are not the same context. Muddy could be associate with dark, warmth, super bassy sounds with really heavy treble rolled off, think of those stupid car stereos system.

Apr 10, 2017 at 1:56 AM Post #17,709 of 22,945
Maybe it's just that you're noticing the Fletcher-Munson curves effect? 

Somewhat like that.. bass (or maybe mids) overpowers treble when volume is increased..
but at lower levels (say at or below the light blue/light red combination of mojo) they sound perfect like there is nothing more i can ask for.

Apr 10, 2017 at 2:07 AM Post #17,710 of 22,945
depending on recordings too...could you describe what you mean by muddy? because the two words (balance and muddy) you use are not the same context. Muddy could be associate with dark, warmth, super bassy sounds with really heavy treble rolled off, think of those stupid car stereos system.

By balanced i meant bass, mids and treble seem to be at apt levels not overpowering each other (lower volume).
Muddy - The bass (or the lower mids) overpowering the upper mids and treble.

Do you hear the same with your pair?

Apr 10, 2017 at 10:54 AM Post #17,711 of 22,945
By balanced i meant bass, mids and treble seem to be at apt levels not overpowering each other (lower volume).

I do not, I troll in here, thinking to get a pair but I heard these IEM has a lot of bass in them so I decided to skip out. Shure dedicated a who patent system to emphasize on bass with the SE846. Your pair may be defective but just know that these are created with emphasis of Bass in mind.

Apr 10, 2017 at 11:28 AM Post #17,712 of 22,945

The SE846 has rolled off highs by design. You probably just don't like the sound signature of the 846. Either that or you're not used to the way it sounds yet. Give it a bit more time and maybe you'll end up liking it, if not, well at least now you know you don't like em.

Apr 10, 2017 at 12:00 PM Post #17,713 of 22,945
So, I'm seeing a lot more SE846's for sale in forums and auction sites these days. Why are people selling? I know Noble and Campfire are getting a lot of positive press in comparisons to the 846's. What do y'all think?

Apr 13, 2017 at 11:47 AM Post #17,715 of 22,945
I'm a few hours in and what a sound!...I bough the 846s this morning, finally had some time to listen (very briefly) to them powered via my nuforce udac5. I think my jaw dropped. It is audio bliss...all frequencies well balanced (using blue filters so far) everything clear, staging unbelievable and that BASS what a F#$@ing kick!...I have a high end audio system at home but this is my first high end IEM as I seem to be spending more and more time near my laptop. I am in awe on the sound these beauties are pumping...I also have the 215s for everyday that I can knock around and even tough I love them there is a muddle in the sound signature and its very difficult to isolate the frequencies and thus the staging is not as precise - you can sense the high end signature of the 846. I also felt that the 846 are much more comfortable in my ears. The 215s being a tad lighter get more easily overpowered by the memory part of the cable making the cable exert its own demands....the 846s are perfect. They are of course soooo expensive and it all depends on one's budget of course but if you really appreciate music, crave it and live for it - don't hesitate - buy them!

In any case I love my combo so far but I was thinking that my next buy would be another dac/amp. From what I've read and seen I would be between the Chord Hugo or the Woo Audio WA7 firefly. I have read about how the Chord Mojo and Hugo pair amazingly with the 846s but I was wondering if anyone has heard them plugged to the Woo and what they experienced?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back