Shure SE846 Impressions Thread
Apr 7, 2017 at 1:37 PM Post #17,686 of 22,945
  Hiss noise can be attribute to low impedance cans, it doesnt always mean a AMP/DAC is bad. 

I don't think impedance mismatch is directly related to hissing in a DAC/Amp if that is what you mean. Impedance mismatch causes electrical dampening, especially at lower frequencies which causes the voltage to drop and makes it sound "boomy".

Apr 7, 2017 at 5:15 PM Post #17,687 of 22,945

Hiss noise can be attribute to low impedance cans, it doesnt always mean a AMP/DAC is bad. 

I don't think impedance mismatch is directly related to hissing in a DAC/Amp if that is what you mean. Impedance mismatch causes electrical dampening, especially at lower frequencies which causes the voltage to drop and makes it sound "boomy".

agreed. hiss is mostly a matter of sensitivity. 0.015 volt is 90db loud at 1khz into the shure(according to innerfidelity). so let's imagine a noise floor on a DAP at 0.0001V, that's still more than 45db loud into the shure. 

now the low impedance of the IEM will tend to increase some of the noise from the DAP(increased current), but it's usually not significant compared to basic sensitivity.

Apr 8, 2017 at 3:39 AM Post #17,688 of 22,945
Well i actually prefer the IE800 by a lot. Funny thing is, i bought thr SE846 first as the majority of people preferred the SE846... there was a poll and 65% of people preferred the SE846 so i bought that. And i was very happy with it but i was curious about the IE800 so i bought that a year later and my SE846 was in for repair at the time but ive just got it back and wow what a downgraded sound compared to the IE800... the IE800 beats the SE846 in all areas with the exception of bass. The detail omg. The moral of the story here is never buy something based on a poll and reviews. Always test before buying whenever possible.

Apr 8, 2017 at 9:10 AM Post #17,689 of 22,945
Well i actually prefer the IE800 by a lot. Funny thing is, i bought thr SE846 first as the majority of people preferred the SE846... there was a poll and 65% of people preferred the SE846 so i bought that. And i was very happy with it but i was curious about the IE800 so i bought that a year later and my SE846 was in for repair at the time but ive just got it back and wow what a downgraded sound compared to the IE800... the IE800 beats the SE846 in all areas with the exception of bass. The detail omg. The moral of the story here is never buy something based on a poll and reviews. Always test before buying whenever possible.

The SE846 certainly lacks a bit of treble extension with stock filters. Have you tried the Knowles damper mod?

I wish the IE800 had narrower nozzles, took standard (Comply P) tips, gave better isolation, had replaceable cables, with a standard connector type, et. These aren't minor issues. I know the SE846 isn't perfect (even with a damper mod), but overall it still beats out any other (non-electrostat) universal IEM I've tried. And for me, UIEM >>>> CIEM :)

Apr 8, 2017 at 12:01 PM Post #17,690 of 22,945
Yes, the treble has to be done right, and IMO the SE846 did that better than the IE800 (the main reason why I swapped)

There is a reason a large portion of TOTL IEMs are either solely BA, or a hybrid design, with BA drivers for the top end.

The dynamic market is catching up though.

Apr 8, 2017 at 2:43 PM Post #17,691 of 22,945
i read a lot of comparation and much reviews said se846 is better. ( stock )
But se846 have a lot of way for upgrade the sound:
- A good match dap
- Mod filter. ( i use the blue mod filter, i love it. )

I think the cable silver/plate is a upgrade for the se846.

I am very happy with the improvement on the shure.

Apr 8, 2017 at 4:46 PM Post #17,693 of 22,945
Has anyone started a thread on the best phones to buy for the super-low-impedance SE846 to match correctly? Or is it a simple one-product answer? 
wink_face.gif

I don't want to hijack this thread with a phone discussion, so if a thread does not already exist discussing this (I could not find one), then I'll start one up.

Terry

Apr 8, 2017 at 5:44 PM Post #17,694 of 22,945

that's the beauty of trying to invent a moral high ground on subjectivity. there are only losers in that game. it's like trying to prove to everybody else that a Celine Dion song is better than a Lou Reed one. nobody's wrong for having their very own preferences, but everybody's is wrong when trying to force them onto others as the one true stuff.
now if we're pretending to talk about objective superiority, good luck proving overall superiority of an IEM while including different settings, different sources, personal listening levels, and no clear FR target because there isn't even one that fits all humans for IEMs.

at least "test before buying whenever possible" isn't a bad idea. not easy, but not a bad idea.

Quote:
  Has anyone started a thread on the best phones to buy for the super-low-impedance SE846 to match correctly? Or is it a simple one-product answer? 
wink_face.gif

I don't want to hijack this thread with a phone discussion, so if a thread does not already exist discussing this (I could not find one), then I'll start one up.

Terry

you will have a hard time getting more than random anecdotal opinions. pretty much nobody measures DAPs or phones into such a low impedance( which is stupid IMO given today's IEMs). what happens into 16 or 30ohm( a little more likely to be measured), doesn't tell anything conclusive about what will happen with the se846. in other word, you'd need someone with many phones and the shure to measure stuff himself, and we all know that audiophiles in general aren't big on doing measurements. so while I agree that it would really help for such a special kid as the SE846, I'm not optimistic about the data you'll get from your topic.
frown.gif
maybe a list with the phones impedances, some websites often check that. it could help at least to know what to expect as a signature, but doesn't tell anything about potential hiss or distortion levels.
ideally Shure themselves should offer suggestions on the matter, after all it's their fault for making such a sensitive and low impedance IEMs, but they aren't exactly famous for talking to the consumer.
rolleyes.gif
they usually behave more like "my dad isn't home, talk to your reseller".

Apr 8, 2017 at 6:21 PM Post #17,695 of 22,945
I'll have to hit up Google to find the impedance specs, I guess! Then -- Listen! :)

Anything with a low impedance is a good candidate, though.

Here on this thread, the iPhone 6 and 6S both received stellar comments, as did the iPhone 7 with its, apparently, impressive DAC/Dongle.

The Samsung Galaxy S7 Edge has appealed to some on other threads.

I was looking at the Google Pixel, but it is a no-go at 16 ohms for sure. (for Shure?)

I'm not certain what the LG V-20 has for impedance, but that is also favored around here.

And then there are outliers like the MOTO Z Droid and the new LG G6. And of course nobody has a Samsung Galaxy S8 yet to test. 

I'm going to have to find some of these, and hunt down the specs.

Terry

Apr 8, 2017 at 7:20 PM Post #17,696 of 22,945
My ears don't do well with over-the-top treble extension. I love bright cans and IEMs for short listening, but it gets fatiguing with longer sessions.

Apr 8, 2017 at 8:35 PM Post #17,697 of 22,945
My ears don't do well with over-the-top treble extension. I love bright cans and IEMs for short listening, but it gets fatiguing with longer sessions.

there are a lot of audio aspects that you need to consider  and unless you spend some time with each iem to get really familiar  and a capable source you shouldn't make cut and dried statements at this level of audio. The ie800 for example while very transparent/clear with very detailed highs it is thin sounding,the treble can sound off/splashy with the wrong source,it is not multilayered like the se846,it lacks stereo depth and the notes are not as thick and realistic as se846,the sound lacks body but it is more exciting at first listen due to high clarity and treble.Last month i gave them to an experienced audio guy who is a speaker person(20000+system),doesn't listen to iems and he spotted the drawback of ie800 that it sounds thin,the highs while detailed weren't perfect  and the mids are recessed in the first 20 seconds.He wasn't swayed by the clarity and exciting signature and said it shouln't cost more than $500 in pure audio performance.

There is a reason that se846 is still $1000 on amazon while ie800 goes around $700 depending on the day.

Apr 9, 2017 at 1:38 AM Post #17,700 of 22,945
Just replaced my 846 with eternal melody 5!:joy::joy::joy:

A link would have been helpful, but I'll supply one.

http://www.head-fi.org/t/814926/em-eternal-melody-new-custom-and-universal-iem-from-shanghai-china

See you around! Enjoy them!

Terry

Users who are viewing this thread

Back