Shure SE846 Impressions Thread
Apr 5, 2017 at 1:58 PM Post #17,656 of 22,945
Just got my SE846 back from shure, they replaced both earpieces and a cable. Good service. Though i must say, since I'd been listening to my IE800 for two weeks, they sound muffled in comparison to the IE800. The IE800 is so much more detailed... Though ill give my ears some time to adjust then do a full comparison for anyone interested in both IEMs and how they compare.

Apr 5, 2017 at 2:04 PM Post #17,657 of 22,945
Just got my SE846 back from shure, they replaced both earpieces and a cable. Good service. Though i must say, since I'd been listening to my IE800 for two weeks, they sound muffled in comparison to the IE800. The IE800 is so much more detailed... Though ill give my ears some time to adjust then do a full comparison for anyone interested in both IEMs and how they compare.

The 800 are better in clarity and treble resolution, so that gives you the muffled impression. The 846 strength is on the bass and lower mids,lush meaty sound, but trying sharper IEMs will make them sound veiled and too warm.

Apr 5, 2017 at 2:08 PM Post #17,658 of 22,945

Unless you remove the foam from the blue filters or use the whites it cannot compete with ie800 in clarity,it will sound as you said muffled.You do need to readjust after listening to IE800 for too long,the sound is much more energetic due to treble extension but that doesn't mean it is the better iem,SE846 does other things bettter.

Apr 5, 2017 at 3:07 PM Post #17,660 of 22,945

Why did they replace the earpieces? What happened? Did they do it under warranty?

I´m struggling with their customer service. I´ve had 2 sets of earphones with a buzz in one of them. This issue was reported here by others a couple of years ago.

I left the second set at the service center a month ago and I´m still waiting for answer. Emailed them 4 times since and haven´t received answers for the last 3. Customer service seems good but it is slow and with very slow communication.

Apr 5, 2017 at 3:46 PM Post #17,661 of 22,945
Why did they replace the earpieces? What happened? Did they do it under warranty?

I´m struggling with their customer service. I´ve had 2 sets of earphones with a buzz in one of them. This issue was reported here by others a couple of years ago.

I left the second set at the service center a month ago and I´m still waiting for answer. Emailed them 4 times since and haven´t received answers for the last 3. Customer service seems good but it is slow and with very slow communication.

Whilst removing the cable from the earpieces a piece of metal got stuck in the connector so i couldnt reattach the cable. So they replaced both ear piece under warranty

Shure refusee to deal with me directly and insisted i went through the place i bought them from so if i were you id do that. Explain the problem to the company you bought from and they'll deal with Shure. Im based in the UK so it could be different for you if you dont reside in the UK

Apr 5, 2017 at 4:06 PM Post #17,662 of 22,945
Whilst removing the cable from the earpieces a piece of metal got stuck in the connector so i couldnt reattach the cable. So they replaced both ear piece under warranty

Shure refusee to deal with me directly and insisted i went through the place i bought them from so if i were you id do that. Explain the problem to the company you bought from and they'll deal with Shure. Im based in the UK so it could be different for you if you dont reside in the UK

Thanks!

Apr 6, 2017 at 11:25 AM Post #17,665 of 22,945
  If you don't hear any hissing with your phone, then it should be fine.

It´s mandatory if you want to approach the best performance possible. They will sound good with the phone but not as good as they can. 

You have to try and choose for yourself. A good separate DAC/amp will have better performance and the phone will probably have better cost/performance ratio.

Apr 6, 2017 at 11:41 AM Post #17,666 of 22,945
  ie800 is not more detailed than se846...

Can't tell if you're trolling, lol. The ie800 is more detailed in some respects. The se846 is better in others.

FYI, I own both :)

Apr 6, 2017 at 1:24 PM Post #17,668 of 22,945
  I just bought the SE846 and I have also ordered a HTC10 mobile. Just wondering if anyone use SE846 directly with something like HTC10 or if external DAC is kind of mandatory...

if you dont like to carry things around then the HTC 10 will work, but I always found there is extra quality in a portable AMP/DAC. between my S7 edge and chord hugo,  I can tell a big difference in sound reproduction, but the price tag does not justify owning a chord hugo just for that.

Apr 6, 2017 at 1:25 PM Post #17,669 of 22,945
I own both also. And i can say with 100% certainty that the ie800 is more detailed. Im gonna write an epic comparison between them

That's the most frequent impression. There are tons of SE846 vs IE800 reviews, a few with three IEMs. For example this one.

Preference will vary according to taste, but the higher mids and treble detail is superior in the IE800 IMHO, making it sound clearer, sharper and giving an impression of better resolution. The 846 have different areas where they are better.
While sound is subjective, at least in some aspects I guess we can all agree. The IE800 are way worse in overall ergonomics. That cable (not just in microphonics). The tips. The frame. It's all quite bad for the price and current state of the art in TOTL IEMs. I very much prefer the 846 at that, except for the ridiculously stiff cable guides which are absolutely useless (except maybe for active jumping performers)

Two pretty good IEMs, can't have bad sound with any of them, but both with room for improvement. I'd say that one thing that pushes the IE800 a bit ahead in this comparison is that now it can be found a lot cheaper, sometimes costing almost 50% of the 846 prices.

Apr 6, 2017 at 2:02 PM Post #17,670 of 22,945
  I just bought the SE846 and I have also ordered a HTC10 mobile. Just wondering if anyone use SE846 directly with something like HTC10 or if external DAC is kind of mandatory...

Just bear in mind there's probably output impedance mismatch. I love that phones are finally getting good DACs, but we never know their output impedance :frowning2:. Then again, there are a few headphones it matters with; the SE846 happens to be one. That said, I've tried the HTC 10 with them and I think it sounds good. A dedicated DAC will get you better dynamics and a fuller sound.

That's the most frequent impression. There are tons of SE846 vs IE800 reviews, a few with three IEMs. For example this one.

Hey, that's my review! Thanks for reading :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back