Shure SE846 Impressions Thread
Jan 3, 2017 at 3:12 PM Post #16,966 of 22,954
So i have plunged,i am now the prowed owner of Shure SE846, and while i am satisfied, i am on the look up to ear them at their best.

I mainly use them with Fiio X3ii, and did tried tgem my Grace Massdrop M9xx, and found a little bit difference. Grace seems to give more bass.

Now, with the annonce of the X5iii with balanced output, i wonder if someone who do use the SE846 with a balanced amplifier could describe the difference of sound than with standard cable.

Jan 3, 2017 at 4:25 PM Post #16,967 of 22,954
Where can I get the Black SE846 from? I am in Canada, and can order from the States or Canada. But can't seem to find them.

Is there a reason why the Black are rare or not as readily available?

Also, would the SE846 be a good buy at this time, when it has been close to two years since launch?

The price seems to have remained the same and not budged at all.

Jan 3, 2017 at 5:10 PM Post #16,968 of 22,954
  Where can I get the Black SE846 from? I am in Canada, and can order from the States or Canada. But can't seem to find them.

Is there a reason why the Black are rare or not as readily available?

Also, would the SE846 be a good buy at this time, when it has been close to two years since launch?

The price seems to have remained the same and not budged at all.

Asian-market version:
http://www.eglobalcentral.com/shure-se846-sound-isolating-earphones-black.html
300 bucks (US) cheaper, but 1 year warranty and comes without the transparent carry case,
or here:
https://www.amazon.ca/Shure-SE846-CL-Isolating-Earphones-MicroDrivers/dp/B00DIUGW6A/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1483481404&sr=8-1&keywords=se846
2 years warranty 1300 ca dollars.

Jan 3, 2017 at 10:37 PM Post #16,969 of 22,954
So i have plunged,i am now the prowed owner of Shure SE846, and while i am satisfied, i am on the look up to ear them at their best.

I mainly use them with Fiio X3ii, and did tried tgem my Grace Massdrop M9xx, and found a little bit difference. Grace seems to give more bass.

Now, with the annonce of the X5iii with balanced output, i wonder if someone who do use the SE846 with a balanced amplifier could describe the difference of sound than with standard cable.

Listening through balanced amplification should reduce noise that may be introduced, but other sound quality improvements may or may not exist. It really depends on the amplifier design. Some amps are designed to sound better out if the balanced connectors than through single-ended. Others sound the same regardless of the connector selected. You'll need to look into the design of the particular amplifier you're interested in and see if any benefits above noise reduction (which is not always present even in single-ended connections) could be gained through balanced connectors.

I use the 846 with a Sony PHA-3 with custom balanced cables. I don't notice any particular sound quality improvement listening balanced over single-ended use with this amp.

Jan 3, 2017 at 10:51 PM Post #16,970 of 22,954
You guys see this Lightning cable that Shure made to use the SE series with the iPhone? They interestingly created an in-line DAC/Amp for it too:

http://www.theverge.com/circuitbreaker/2017/1/3/14161650/shure-earbuds-lightning-cable-iphone-7

I don't have an iPhone, but would love to try if they also made a USB-C one for Android.

Jan 3, 2017 at 11:15 PM Post #16,971 of 22,954
You guys see this Lightning cable that Shure made to use the SE series with the iPhone? They interestingly created an in-line DAC/Amp for it too:

http://www.theverge.com/circuitbreaker/2017/1/3/14161650/shure-earbuds-lightning-cable-iphone-7

I don't have an iPhone, but would love to try if they also made a USB-C one for Android.

That Shure Cable sounds interesting. As an iPhone 7 Plus owner, I would like to see how this compares to the IEM cable and Apple Dongle with my SE-846's. If there is no noticeable benefit in SQ, save your money with the $10 Dongle.

Jan 3, 2017 at 11:59 PM Post #16,972 of 22,954
That Shure Cable sounds interesting. As an iPhone 7 Plus owner, I would like to see how this compares to the IEM cable and Apple Dongle with my SE-846's. If there is no noticeable benefit in SQ, save your money with the $10 Dongle.

I'd think that Shure's DAC would best the iPhone's, or else what would be the point.

Jan 4, 2017 at 4:57 AM Post #16,974 of 22,954
There is an Apple Lightning audio program in place to which 3rd party makers will have to stick to.

As usual there will be a tight control by Apple so i expect the audio module of the Shure SE cable to sound (as great) as the 9$ dongle. If it uncaps European iPhones that would be nice but i expect it to work exactly as Apple dongle.

I bet that Shure engineers must have worked into the cable itself but not in the dac/amp module. But who knows for sure. The Verge claims that the dac/amp is all by Shure but i don't trust journalists for details.

What do you get ? Ergonomics and sturdiness.

I will pay the 100% price tag for my SE846 as it rolls out.

Jan 4, 2017 at 2:01 PM Post #16,975 of 22,954
Really considering getting the 846s- do any of you know if Shure is planning on replacing them any time soon though? Also, would you say there is a big jump in quality from the 846s to something like the K10U's?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jan 4, 2017 at 2:57 PM Post #16,976 of 22,954
Really considering getting the 846s- do any of you know if Shure is planning on replacing them any time soon though? Also, would you say there is a big jump in quality from the 846s to something like the K10U's?

Still waiting for my encore to find out.

Jan 4, 2017 at 3:00 PM Post #16,977 of 22,954

Still waiting for my encore to find out.

Would love to hear your impressions when you do get them. That's exactly what I'm torn between- getting the 846s or saving a bit more for the Encores.

Jan 4, 2017 at 5:44 PM Post #16,978 of 22,954
Having some time with the Clears tonight... Let's give the yellow foam a second chance, hmm...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back