Shure SE846 Impressions Thread
Dec 26, 2016 at 10:47 AM Post #16,876 of 22,945
While we're on the topic, has anyone used Null Audio cables?

I've been thinking of getting this one: https://www.null-audio.com/products/vitesse-cryo-7n-cgocc-a-pure-silver-earphone-cable

Seems like a great cable at a great price.

Dec 26, 2016 at 4:38 PM Post #16,877 of 22,945
Hi all, I am considering buying an USB DAC which will work with se846 (without the hissing noise) and with a PC/android.

What would be your suggestions?

Would shanling m1 be a good choice?
I like its versatility, but unsure of its sq.

Then there's also dragonfly. But it's fw updates didn't turn up as promised and I do not wish to use uapp just to make it work.

My budget is about $500 sgd.

Thanks everyone.

Dec 26, 2016 at 5:33 PM Post #16,878 of 22,945
Hi all, I am considering buying an USB DAC which will work with se846 (without the hissing noise) and with a PC/android.

Then there's also dragonfly. But it's fw updates didn't turn up as promised and I do not wish to use uapp just to make it work.

Thanks everyone.

Either the ifi micro idsd (newest model is the Black Label edition) or chord mojo. They both pair very well with the SE846 (low output impedance, no hiss, and sound excellent)

Dec 26, 2016 at 5:50 PM Post #16,879 of 22,945

According to the test of the Mojo at http://www.hifinews.co.uk/ (unfortunately only in printed form and not online), it is 0.x (don't remember the exact value) to 2 Ohms. This would indicate that the Mojo's output impedance increases slightly in the highs.

I don't think my graph is that off, as some other members could back it up with some other multi-driver IEMs.

Just a heads up on pairing the 846 with the Mojo. There does seem to be cause to think an impedance mismatch may affect sound quality with the pairing.

Dec 26, 2016 at 6:39 PM Post #16,880 of 22,945
Just a heads up on pairing the 846 with the Mojo. There does seem to be cause to think an impedance mismatch may affect sound quality with the pairing.

The same is true for all devices to a degree. The designer of the Mojo says it's fine for 8 Ohm loads and that many measurements that are out there are not correctly done considering Mojo's filter latency giving incorrect numbers on measurements.

You can't use the normal way of doing frequency response, you have to adjust the delay settings so that the test gear acquires the right amplitude at the correct frequency, as the OP is delayed by 25 mS.

Cheers Rob

Also, the output impedance of the Mojo is 0.075 Ohms so it's well within the 1/8 rule for impedance matching with the SE846.

Dec 26, 2016 at 7:14 PM Post #16,881 of 22,945

Thanks everyone.

The mojo for sure! Incredible pairing

Dec 26, 2016 at 7:24 PM Post #16,882 of 22,945
I can't speak on this at all since I don't own a Mojo...but wasn't there talk of noise or interference when paired with a cell phone? 

Dec 26, 2016 at 7:41 PM Post #16,884 of 22,945
I can't speak on this at all since I don't own a Mojo...but wasn't there talk of noise or interference when paired with a cell phone? 

/OT

A lot of talk about this in the Mojo thread. It's not just the Mojo but a fact of life. The Oppo HA-2 and many other devices also suffer this problem, reported on Head Fi, including certain DAPs when connected to WiFi. Depending on the cel carrier, distance to the cel tower, strength of the WiFi signal, the channel used (2G, 3G, LTE, WiFi channel) there is potential to pick up EMI/RFI in the hardware, typically when the receiving antennae needs to boost power to acquire a signal. Personally, when I'm on a 2G network I hear all sorts of nasties through the Mojo connected to my phone and on LTE I hear absolutely none, and for others it's different.

Even if the hardware is completely shielded or some distance away from the source causing the interference the cables can also pick up EMI/RFI and inject the noise in to the audio path. I've tested this and indeed the cable will pick up the noise like an antennae. The only way to be sure with any audio hardware that there is no EMI/RFI noise is to use the device that has wireless recieving hardware in 'airplane mode'.

/OT

Dec 26, 2016 at 7:51 PM Post #16,885 of 22,945
/OT

A lot of talk about this in the Mojo thread. It's not just the Mojo but a fact of life. The Oppo HA-2 and many other devices also suffer this problem, reported on Head Fi, including certain DAPs when connected to WiFi. Depending on the cel carrier, distance to the cel tower, strength of the WiFi signal, the channel used (2G, 3G, LTE, WiFi channel) there is potential to pick up EMI/RFI in the hardware, typically when the receiving antennae needs to boost power to acquire a signal. Personally, when I'm on a 2G network I hear all sorts of nasties through the Mojo connected to my phone and on LTE I hear absolutely none, and for others it's different.

Even if the hardware is completely shielded or some distance away from the source causing the interference the cables can also pick up EMI/RFI and inject the noise in to the audio path. I've tested this and indeed the cable will pick up the noise like an antennae. The only way to be sure with any audio hardware that there is no EMI/RFI noise is to use the device that has wireless recieving hardware in 'airplane mode'.

/OT

Thanks for the explanation. I wasn't interested enough to do a search of the forum for myself, but believe in folks having knowledge of any existing myths and fables prior to buying rather than after. 
smile.gif

Dec 26, 2016 at 10:27 PM Post #16,886 of 22,945
Use the phone if you want to save 500$ otherwise drop 2500 on hugo

Dec 27, 2016 at 4:20 AM Post #16,887 of 22,945
/OT

/OT

The Chord Hugo doesn't suffer from this problem like the Mojo does according to my ears.

Dec 27, 2016 at 4:40 AM Post #16,888 of 22,945
The Chord Hugo doesn't suffer from this problem like the Mojo does according to my ears.

Yeah, the Mojo does seem to be revealing of EMI/RFI for sure. Like I said it may not be highlit with all devices, but the Mojo is certainly not the only one that people report the issue of EMI/RFI being picked up. Good to know about the Hugo for you, but as it is wildly off topic in the SE846 thread I will leave it at that.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back